Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSSHIPS  (Read 18905 times)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: PSSHIPS
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2006, 08:01:01 am »

Ok Paul I will go quietly, but just one thing you mentioned conscription, yes bring it back and get some of the no hoper's of the street, may make for more peaceful neighbourhoods...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

cdsc123

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2007, 11:24:34 am »

HMS Dauntless has just been launched now.
Interesting reading;
http://navy-matters.beedall.com/daring1-1.htm

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2007, 04:04:54 pm »

A destroyer at 8000 tons! That's cruiser territory isnt it?

cdsc123

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2007, 05:49:06 pm »

The County Class weighed in at under 7000 tons, and people said the same about them!
Speaking of which, Almirante Cochrane (ex HMS Antrim) has just been decommissioned from the Chilean Navy, wouldn't it be nice if HMS Belfast could have some company...

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2007, 11:18:14 pm »

The County Class weighed in at under 7000 tons, and people said the same about them!
Speaking of which, Almirante Cochrane (ex HMS Antrim) has just been decommissioned from the Chilean Navy, wouldn't it be nice if HMS Belfast could have some company...
Seems like we sell a lot of our ships to the Chilean navy! ex Sheffield's there to name one plus, another County Class destroyer (another Almirante something) sunk while under tow to the scrapyard.

Must admit, I think that class of county destroyers looked good an all.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2007, 11:13:22 am »

Calling them Destroyers the Navy got to keep them , like calling Invinc' a throught deck cruiser & not an aircraft carrier.

Nice idea about Belfast etc, but it will never happen, Just look at the farce surrounding HMS Plymouth, if it wasnt for individuals we'd have nothing left of our heritage.

We have the greatest Navy in the world with a tradition going back over 200 years but as usual we seem to push it under the carpet so that we dont "offend" anybody.

We invented the bloody Dreadnought & ruled the seas with them, did we keep one as a reminder of British Engineering prowess? Say what you like about the Yanks, but at least they are proud of their history.

cdsc123

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2007, 11:46:54 am »

The pre-dreadnought preserved in Japan was built in the UK wasn't it? That's better than nothing. Such a pity Warspite wasn't kept as a museum ship, as I understand there were moves made in that direction but nothing came of them, meanwhile the ship just wouldn't go to the scrappers quietly. Best looking post-war naval ships undoubtedly the County Class, be nice if one were kept. What's the current situation with the Plymouth and her companions? Last I heard Bronnington was up for the chop.
My scene is more WW2 small wooden ex-service craft, there are a few enjoying very good care at the moment in the UK, HDML 1387 Medusa (owned by a trust) received a lottery grant for a rebuild, Vosper prototype MTB 102 continues to be well maintained, RAF HSL 102 and RN MGB 81 are in private ownership, completely rebuilt and running modern diesels. The Fairmile Bs of the Western Lady Ferry Co have been on the market for a while, there are rumours one may be taken on by someone with the means for her restoration and return to original configurqation. Sadly however many famous types are no longer represented, not even by shabby old houseboats (e.g. the Fairmile D).     

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2007, 06:31:12 pm »

Done a bit of ferreting about on the net and found some info about the countys in Chile. They extended the deck where the seaslug launcher was to the stern and made a quarter deck below! Looked really weird. Unfortunately I cant find the web pages now! D'oh!

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2007, 03:29:26 pm »

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2007, 12:37:47 pm »

Paul and Dunc
Go and stand in the naughty corner till you can both shake hands and make up.
I dont know you Dunc, but Paul one question?
How come when I phone you about fittings or modelling you come across as a nice guy.
But a real GOG on here?
Dunc, we are a broad church on here, with over 1000 members we have all sorts, we are people who happen to make models, it certainly dont turn me into an angel, ask my staff or even the missus!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007, 07:14:14 pm »

Hi ya Paul

I am in desparate need of some special fittings  ;D  the fittings are for my new build a Type 47XB

can you assist, as a matter of urgency  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

prinzeugen

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007, 07:47:30 pm »

Excuse me going off at a tangent,but I  gave up flying when some pro who cast nasturtium's on my very stand-off FW190 because the rx wire came out behind the cockpit and went to the fin  was to thick for the scale (1/5th)!!!

He  built quite nice models but every weekend would nearly kill us all on the flight line.... and that was just his taxing. :o

So let's all just live and let live (said Caesar to Brutus)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2007, 09:12:33 pm »

must have missewd something. this thread does seem a bit disjointed.
lets get it back on track or as colin b says, wind it up, before any more harsh words.
colin S.
grumpy old XXX

Mayhem Moderation

• Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2007, 09:14:25 pm »

Topic moderated.

Have you seen the latest Model Boat Mag? - PSSHIPS gets a 2 page write up.... but Paul's not that hairy in real life, it's all make up.  ::)

Martin... sitting firmly on the fence.

But What Do I Know?!?!

PSSHIPS

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2007, 09:15:19 pm »

Thanks Martin.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2007, 09:27:44 pm »

but Paul's not that hairy in real life

It all goes into the laminate, the hulls are indestructible...   ;D

PSSHIPS

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2007, 09:29:44 pm »

Have you seen that cuppa soup advert with the hug thing?
 You lot better watch out!
 I'm even more hairy now, going on for Chewbacca.

Paul...

paul K

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

More modern day navy 1/72 fittings please !!!!!.

We seem to be able to get 1/72 hulls but not that many fittings . I know you can get them, with a struggle, from Australia and the Task Force 72 lads. Why not go all the way and produce the same fittings that you can get in 1/96 in 1/72 scale.

The projects the TF72 lads have built are very impressive in this scale. Would 1/72 not be more stable than 1/96 and better suited to meet our weather we have over here - wind, rain etc etc.

I know someone is going to say what about the size in 1/72  -but there is always ways and means to get around that one.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2007, 02:53:54 pm »

Would 1/72 not be more stable than 1/96 and better suited to meet our weather we have over here - wind, rain etc etc.

I know someone is going to say what about the size in 1/72  -but there is always ways and means to get around that one.

I think it's a better scale for survivability. And visual impact.

There's something vaguely natural about building in 1/72nd scale, too. I think it stems from my childhood years gluing myself to Airfix products.  :)

This was the state (and size) of my HMS Dreadnought, a year and a half ago...

I'm currently working on what feels like my 5000th plate, and I'm soon to lay her decks. A selection of RN WW1 fittings would be lovely, and I'd bet there'd be a market for them.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2007, 08:47:12 pm »

Something French for the weekend, Sir?

A La Fayette class, for instance. Stealthy with French style - and hardly a fitting in sight!
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.