Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to model boats - help!  (Read 2581 times)

scoobydhu

New to model boats - help!
« on: September 16, 2008, 09:06:51 am »

Hi!  I have inherited a mirage of model boats of which I would like to complete.  One in particular, The Sea Star by Billing Boat (Model 496) is 85% complete.  This is a very old model, but is water-tight and just needs to be fitted with controls.  There are two engines (only markings on them say MM - Model Mold - no number).  I would like to have this model radio controlled and join the two engines into one control.  Is this possible and how do I go about doing this.  I have some mechanical skills and think that I could manage with some advice.  Anyones help would be most appreciated.

Roscoe

barryfoote

Re: New to model boats - help!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:45:43 am »

By two engines I asume they are electric. If so combining them is easy. Take a look at the ACTion website or contact FLJ on the forum. The man has some great electronic bits that do what he claims.

Welcome to the mad house... O0

Barry

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:56:17 am »

The Billing 'Sea Star' is another one of those boat I've seen and thought,
"I's like to own one of those!"  .... (So far far the count is about 86!)

I think 2 x Speed 400 7.2Volt motors would be about the right power.
1 x ESC (Electronic Speed Control) should be enough for starters. a 10-15Amp ESC should be enough for both.
You can fit a 2nd one and a mixer once you you've got the hang of it and you think it needs better helm control.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:11:05 am »

Hi Roscoe welcome aboard.

If you go to the Mayhem home page  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/index.htm  you will see in the middle of the page an item headed "Want to build your own model boat? ...." if you click on " Electric Motors " you might find this very helpful.  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.