Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scroll saw or band saw - which preferred for modelling?  (Read 5903 times)

RipSlider

Scroll saw or band saw - which preferred for modelling?
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:23:54 pm »

Hello all.

A while ago, I got myself a scroll saw, one of those "bounces up and down" sort of fellas. Variable speed etc, but top speed is no actually very fast, and while I would rate it "quite good" the blades are a bit fragile, and the low top speed can make cutting a pain. On the up side, you can get those "cut in any direction" blades, which would seem quite useful, and you can un-attach the blade, push it through a hole in the wood, and then do internal cuts, which is most useful.

A read of this months Model Boats - I think in the "Tiffy's Workshop" section, extols the use of a small bandsaw instead. Benefits that I can see are that you can get decent L-N blades to make your chums jelous, and will last forever, the blade moves faster, and so is better at cutting and generally a bit neater, and the actual footprint of the machine will, I think, be smaller, as the scrollsaw does take up a lot of bench space.

Down side would seem to be that you can't use one for cutting internal holes, such as chopping out the middle of frames.

I don't have the bench space for both in my i'll-definately-finish-building-the-dratted-thing-soon workshop, and before I drill big holes in the bench to mount the scroll saw, I thought I would see what the community thinks. If there is a strong backing for a bandsaw, it seems a good time to swap them.

Any thoughts on either side, I would be most interested. Especially interested in people who have used both and have settled on a favourite.

Thanks

Steve

David_S

Re: Scroll saw or band saw - which preferred for modelling?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »

I have both and use the bandsaw far more than the powered fretsaw/jigsaw.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:12:04 pm »

I've been thinking about a scroll saw for a while. As I'm a serial tool abuser, I don't like to pay too much for something I'll probably wreck. Can anybody recommend one that combines reasonable performance with a reasonable price?

Rick

RipSlider

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:02:36 pm »

I have a draper model brought about 2-3 years ago. Don't have the model number, but they still sell it.

It's been left outside in the rain a few times, and dropped a number of times as well, and still works great. It's also been pressed into service cutting 2"x4" when I couldn't find my hand saws ( mrs Steve had "tided" the garage.... ) Only issue I had was that the rubber feet at the front had to b glued on, as they were a bit loose

It's still going strong, but the cuts are a little rough for model scale work - i.e becuase it;s slow and reciprocating, it leaves a fairly jagged edge.

I definately like my scroll saw, but just wondering if I could do better still using the same space.

Steve

RipSlider

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:28:56 pm »

I was wondering about one of these?

Does this seem about right for modelling?

I think I can get a 20tpi blades for it.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56797/Power-Tools/Benchtop-Woodworking/Titan-SF8R-190mm-Band-Saw

Thanks

Steve

jules64

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 04:51:29 pm »

I was wondering about one of these?

Does this seem about right for modelling?

I think I can get a 20tpi blades for it.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56797/Power-Tools/Benchtop-Woodworking/Titan-SF8R-190mm-Band-Saw

Thanks

Steve

Steve

This model is very common and made/badged by several manufacturers. I have an old Thyme machine one(15years) and it has served me very well. You do need to swap blades for different jobs as you would expect. You also need to check the alignment of the blade on the wheel quite regularly, to ensure straight cuts.

I recently replaced the rubbers on the wheels, managed to obtain these from Draper who seem to sell the exact same model.(Few updates to switch gear) They actually had all the spares and could be ordered on line.

It is a cheap budget machine, but if you only plan on lightweight work then is extremely good value for money. Will easily cut up to 2cm softwood with the correct blade. I would also look at the Draper version because of the spares.

Best wishes
Jules64

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:43:52 pm »

...sold my fret-saw on Ebay as I found the bandsaw more reliable for my uses. I have a Proxxon bandsaw (all my tools are from Proxxon) and some oft them are now15 years old- none of them gave up due to all the models I have build with them. So my recomendation is Proxxon. Just my small lathe from Proxxon neede once (after 12 years) some spares- phone them and had it within 48 hours. What else may you ask for.

Back to the subject:
I found the bandsaw more helpfull as the cuts are right-angle, curves can be made the same way as wit a fretsaw and they are of use if you want to cut some aluminium or brass too.

Hope that was out of any help,
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 10:05:24 pm »

Had a scroll saw for years ,the think even kept going when the switch packed up (i hard wired it on) bought it from screwfix think i still have a load of spare blades left in the shed ,anyway bought my self one of those screwfix  band saws and never looked back ,liked it that much i gave the band saw away .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

RipSlider

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 08:55:24 am »

Thanks for all the advice everybody.

I will get hold of a bandsaw and give it a good go, and then decide whether to heave the scrollsaw or not.

Thanks

Steve

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 04:56:59 pm »

Cant5 cut internal holes with a band saw but can with a scrollsaw

I would get the band saw and kep the scrollsaw for the internal holes

R,

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 06:16:07 pm »

maybe not ,but flip a jigsaw over and clamp it in the vice ,lock the power switch on and away you go instant scroll type saw .
works for me ,and with the right blade you can cut realy thin ply and metal .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

catengineman

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:18:04 pm »

Yes tru but he has a scrollsaw

so not needing to clamp a jigsaw in a vice  {-)

R,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.