Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

two more tools questions - pillar drills and bench vices

(1/6) > >>

RipSlider:
Hello all.

Sorry, I have another couple of questions:

Pillar drills:

I can see a vast number of uses for a pillar drill in modelling. However, I'm not sure I have the space, or in fact a strong enough floor, to have a full sized, floor standing unit, although it would make my life far easier if I did!

I do currently have a "pillar drill" attachment for my dremel, but it's not very tough, doesn't have a vast amount of drop, and I'm not quite convinced that it's actually much good. I do seem to get a bit of wobble in it.

I was wondering if anyone has come accross a half way house - ideally, I would like a bench mountable pillar drill that is a good bit bigger than the dremel stand, and would have more drop height, and a half or full sized chuck, which would allow for a bigger range of drill sizes. Does such a thing exist? If it does, does anyone have any good/bad reports about them? Should I just take the plunge and get a floor standing unit and work out a way of making it fit in? There seem to be some good second hand deals around, and I would use it for a lot more than just model boats.

bench vice.

I am still struggling to find an enginners vice.

There are lots of them about, but I am looking for one which has the spring release system in it which means you can't over-tighten, and can squeeze the level to pull the vice in and out, rather than lots of winding.

I can't find one of these anywhere. I was wondering if someone has ever seen them for sale anywhere?

I have been scouring the local car boot sales. I did find one, but the person in front of me brought it! Garhh

Thanks for any advice

Steve

andygh:
Do you mean this kind of thing? There's loads of them about, I have the Clarke version and it's perfect for anything I've thrown at it

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44021/Power-Tools/Benchtop-Woodworking/Titan-SF16N-9-230V-Pillar-Drill

There are many of these about too they're quite expensive though, second hand might be a good idea. Luckilly I managed to "aquire" one when a company I worked for moved premises  O0

http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/Mechanics_Vice_Quick_Release_Record.html

Reade Models:

I bought the Screwfix pillar drill recently (my 2nd) It's really useful.  9 speeds and a 50mm vertical travel.

Mine was on offer at the time, £39.50 from memory.

Malc

David_S:
Bench-sized pillar drills seem to be available everywhere (and all look as if they come form the same factory in China). Even here in Finland hey cost only about 50-60 Euros, which seems pretty reasonable for such a versatile tool. I have the Dremel drill mount as well but have not used it for some time, in fact not since I bought my pillar drill.

catengineman:
I have never seen a hand vise with fast grip action

and my view is the work is easier to align when you have a hand vise which is quite light to handle

I have three sizes and on the smallest one the screw handle has been modified = just a hole so that the handle can be taken out (this is so I can mount it at 90 deg to the chuck in another vice)

R,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version