Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Health gone mad...part 2  (Read 5035 times)

catengineman

Re: Health gone mad...part 2
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 04:39:32 pm »

Sheerline thanks for the tears (of laughter)

The mayflower holds a special place in my life yes it may well be ugly and slow and cold but dad used his to go on honeymoon and the old photos make for a conversation that keeps mum sort of with us.

R,

das boot

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 07:57:04 pm »

Cat, there was a Mayflower, complete and in running original order layed up in Lindgreats workshop in Great Yarmouth. The chap had loads of spares with it and the car was intact. Lindgreat (bottled gas distributors) has now moved and I don't know if they now have it in the new place or not. They used to be on Harfreys Industrial Estate.
It was the most awful vehicle and if someone chopped one of those about it would certainly improve it. My friend said an aquaintance of his ran into a brick wall with his Mayflowerand did around £100-00 of improvements to it!

Triumph Mayflower...wasn't that the square edged thing? Hmm...thinks big bonnet...Rolls Royce Merlin perhaps? I'm sure it would fit.  :o

Now where's me tape measure...

Rich

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 08:24:41 pm »

U33, thats the reason why we built the old Sheerline, cos dad had one when we were kids. We were determined to buy and re-build one so we could take Mum 'N' Dad out in it but unfortunately, due to circumstances the bloody thing took much longer than we anticipated and they have both died before we could get it on the road. I picked up a picture of Dad one day and tucked it in the door compartment  so he has got out in it one way or another.
As for the Mayflower, it didn't go, it didn't stop and it must have been the most awful thing to go round corners in. I hadn't looked at one of those things for years but when I examined the one in Yarmouth I was amazed at how utilitaran it was.
I can only compare it to a very basic taxi but I have to say, when you see even the most basic of vehicles in sound original condition it is quite fascinating to realise it is still there in one piece after all these years.

catengineman

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 09:33:23 pm »

Ah yes what a car a drivers car.

Lets see how many 'drivers' of today could handle a car of that type.
I used an Austin 7 when dad let me taught me how to judge distance !  BRAKE  what brakes?  {-) drum all round and only single leading shoes..

R,

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 09:35:16 pm »

I had an Austin A40 Somerset. Brakes were vague, and as for the steering....  ::) But it only cost me £15 and took us down to Cornwall and back from Surrey.

David_S

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 10:18:33 pm »

I had an Austin A40 Somerset. Brakes were vague, and as for the steering....  ::) But it only cost me £15 and took us down to Cornwall and back from Surrey.

Presumably known as the Somerset as that was where you had to start braking in order to stop by the time you reached Cornwall  :)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 11:32:15 pm »

Presumably known as the Somerset as that was where you had to start braking in order to stop by the time you reached Cornwall

You got it in one.  {-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 12:34:56 am »

A tad off topic this so I hope you will excuse me whilst I butt in with a question.
DJR, how many miles and what style of driving to eat your valve seats? My old girl still has its iron head and ground in seats so I am wondering how long the seats will last before they begin to recess. I don't rev this old thing and don't do long sustained hard drives, also, I'm sticking Wynns lead replacement petrol treatment fluid and some upper cylinder lubricant in with every tankful so in your experience, do you think it will make any difference to valve seat life?
Cheers.... Chris

If you keep the speeds down, the iron head should last as long as it would with normal leaded fuel. I ran a mini on unleaded for many thousands of miles with no seat erosion, and the A-series was supposed to be the worst culprit.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.