Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wish me luck, chaps.. (Quitting Smoking)  (Read 13020 times)

das boot

Wish me luck, chaps.. (Quitting Smoking)
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:40:47 am »

As they say..."today is the first day of the rest of my life".

I have a doctors appointment later this morning, I've decided that after smoking for forty plus years it's about time I quit for good. I reckon that last year's heart attack was an early warning, so I'm going to get a non-smoking course set up with him, get the arm patches, and generally get this habit stopped once and for all. Enough is enough, I wake up in the mornings with a mouth like the bottom of my parrot's cage, and that's not a pretty sight sometimes.

I'm going to stick the price of a two ounce pack of Old Holborn away in a jar once a week, that cash will be going towards my next years project, the U-Flak 1 (U-441) in 1/32nd scale.

Wish me luck...I'm going in.

Rich

barryfoote

Re: wish me luck, chaps..
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:44:45 am »

Very best of luck Rich.

I quit 12 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

If you have moments of weakness, come on the forum. The guys here will help you stick to it....

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:53:27 am »

Best of luck Rich.

If you feel you are weakening please read my posting  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4693.msg49580#msg49580

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:16:25 am »

I really do wish you good luck and good health, U33.
I am on a strict diet for health reasons and sometimes  I crack, but with good support from those around you, you'll get there. O0
Best wishes, neil.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:40 am »

Rich- whenever you are on the "monkey", just pop in here at our little "hospital ship".... we`ll get you over it.....

And hey! A new sub is the best motivation ever- don`t you think? Just hang some posters around the places where you use to smoke (gardenbank, loft, garage...) and you know what you have quited for!

Make it happen, buddy- get over it!!!!!!!!

All the best,
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

das boot

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:54:40 am »

Ah, thanks guys...that's good of you. I'm on a diet too for health reasons, no more truckers breakfasts, no chocolate (well, maybe the odd choccie digestive here and there) and plenty of salads and fresh fruit.

But these damm cigarettes have to go one way or the other. Apart from the incentive of U-Flak 1, I'm fed up with coughing and running out of steam at the crucial moments in life.... ::) What I used to be able to do all night now takes me all night to do... :embarrassed:

Twenty minutes to go chaps...twenty minutes.

Thanks for the good wishes guys..

Rich

mikeyh

Re: Wish me luck, chaps.. (Quitting Smoking)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 10:11:04 am »

Good luck Rich you can do it. I stopped a fifty a day habit in January 2007. I kept myself occupied building my models for my garden railway. Its not easy but I dont half feel better for it (and I've got money in my pocket!!

Mikey

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:12:02 am »

Doctor tells a man:
"Quit smoking, quit drinking, quit fatty foods, avoid all stress and leave the women alone!"
Man:
"Will that make me live longer doctor?"
Doctor:
"No.... but it will just seem you have!"

All the best of British Rich!  Live long and prosper.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:13:55 am »

Best wishes and good luck.

I quit when I couldn't afford to run an old motorbike and smoke, one of them had to go.

Occasionally I would go out for a beer, or I would be having a bad day, and smoke.
I refused to see this as failure, just a 'day off' or relapse. In the morning I would throw away any ciggies I had left, even though this seems like an expensive waste it is a small price to pay for not continuing.

Sometimes I would do this twice a month, until eventually if I did it I got nothing from it but a bad taste and a dizzy spell. By that time I was off them all together. Took about a year, but in that year I probably only bought 10 packets and only smoked half of them. The rest I scrounged.

BTW one of the first effects noticed by many people who give up is no overdraft at the end of the month.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24:32 am »

A guy, end of the 50`s was told by his doc to quit smoking, no more alcohol, no more meat- just veggies, and to leave the ladies in peace.
"You could turn age 90 with that!", the doc mentioned.

The chap stared at the doc and nodded: "Then tell me just one *&%?ß* reason why to become 90!"
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:52 am »

Can't remember when I quit but it was a long time ago. Golden Virginia was 47p a 1/2 oz., so work that out. I was tipper driving at the time on site and was puffing about a 3/4 oz. a day, one in my mouth all day.

Went to the docs for something and hinted I would like to stop smoking. Amazed he said there is a young doctor here that is into hypnotism and may help you. Got an appointment with him and he spent an hour chatting to me about this and that relating to smoking. Later I got to know that he was sussing me out to see if I really subconsciously wanted to stop. Having made the choice that I did he treated me. No charge and it worked. the rest is history now.

I can now use that hypnotism myself as he did put that into the treatment and it works.

All I can say is if you really deep down (subconsciously) want to stop, then this is something to consider.

Martin

P.S. From experience the worst thing you can say to anybody is that you have stopped smoking, they'll offer you a cigarette. Best to say no I don't smoke and its great  when you can say that.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 10:48:34 am »

I felt for years that not smoking was a good idea, and stopped several times.  The final one about 20 years ago was when I had the mother of colds and spent the ciggy money on fresh fruit (health-giving vitamins and fibre).  After the cold was over I carried on by putting off buying cigs.  You can only eat so much fresh fruit and you simply dare not be in the presence of a naked light.  It worked for me.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Reade Models

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 11:00:27 am »

I gave them up at 29 after smoking 20+ per day for years - I was already smoking heavily when I left school.

Got a bad dose of pharyngitis - the doc said that if I gave up smoking, my lungs would recover by the time I was 35 and I'd be OK - if I continued smoking much past 30, the damage would be irreparable.

I walked out of the surgery and put my cigarettes and lighter in a litter bin - haven't smoked from that day to this - I'm now 58. The first couple of weeks were Hell, the first year wasn't easy, and if I were to be completely honest, I could pick one up and smoke it now - but I won't.

Downsides...I started eating as soon as I stopped smoking - and have lived with excess weight ever since, but I am a lot better off without cigarettes.

Malc

das boot

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 11:39:39 am »

Well chaps..'tis done. I have the patches and tonight after dinner I will have my last smoke. I'm well happy that I've made the first move and this time it has to be for good.

Had an short MOT at the docs just now..blood pressure fine, heart is working fine, but I couldn't move the lung test thingie much, so that's warning number two. Doc also says that stopping smoking will improve my love life....I'll tell the g/f that when she turns up. Could be in line for a slap... :D

I'm glad that so many of you have trod where I'm about to tread, I know it'll be hard but I must stick to it. Got the first fiver ready for the U-Flak 1 fund...

Cheers and thanks all...

Rich

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 12:24:16 pm »

I don't know what all the fuss is about, giving up smoking is easy, I've done it loads of times {-) {-)

Seriously though, I gave up for six years then started living with a girl who was a heavy smoker and so started again.  A few years later I had to go through it all again. 

I think the most important things I can pass on are 1)  It will not be easy, do not kid yourself otherwise, but as time goes on it gets better.  2)  If you are a smoker then you are a smoker for life.  You can stop but it is still in you to start again so never ever kid yourself that you can have just one and remain in control.  I have not had a cigarrette now for about 10 years but I know I could have one now and enjoy it.

If you feel like giving in don't, you will only have to start all over again, come on here and have a moan and you will be surprised at how much support and encouragement you will get.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

omra85

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 02:16:36 pm »

Rich - on a practical note, I tried the patches and found them useless! If they don't seem to be giving you "the kick" you need to replace the cigs, ask to try the Nicotine Nasal Spray.  It is stronger and works MUCH quicker (makes your nose sore and runny for the first couple of days). It has more of the effects of a cig but is far more "socially acceptable".  A quick squirt up each nostril and away you go ....
Don't get hooked on it though - it's can be MORE addictive than cigarettes (as it's more convenient). But once your out of the cigarette 'habit' then its easier to give up the spray.
You WILL put on weight and it doesn't go away - don't be disheartened, just buy some bigger clothes with all your spare cash!
Good luck
Danny

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 02:46:44 pm »

... I had a collegue some years ago and we spend sometimes our social time together. He was living in the house of his parents, so I`d known them both well.
One day- we had a seat at at the balcony, his father came up with some beers. When he sat down, he lighted a cigarette. I was much surprised as I know, he quited smoking 27 years before! I asked what`s that all about and his answer was a bit shocking:
"I quited smoking 27 years ago- my wife carried on. But it doesn`t disturbed me anyway. Due to our vacany at the Northsea it was windy and she tried to light a cigarette. Her worthless tries amused me so much, that I showed her how to light a ciggy in the wind. Once in my mouth- I can`t stop it and I feel know as being back on a drug".

This is what we have to be aware, once off, you`re like a Junkie and the temptation will last until the very end.
I had tried to stop it 3 times, know what I`m talking about.... (weak as I am * :embarrassed: )

Jörg

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 04:28:06 pm »

U33, a couple of tips here from one who has given up several times: From today, you are not giving up...YOUV'E GIVEN UP!, keep this in the forefront of your mind, it may help. Convince yourself you hate fagsmoke and think of the money your saving. Try not to think about it (very difficult) and when you do, deliberately go off and do something to keep your hands and mind occupied.
Also, try to think of our beloved Chancellors face everytime you think about fags and the fact you (and us) have put millions of pounds in his hand just for the asking!
Good luck and God speed!

catengineman

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 04:34:41 pm »

Good luck  O0

I wont go into the story of why I stopped but just say that don't stop stopping it will get easier to live without the weed and it is not necessary to eat in place of the habit.

You have made up your mind to stop so decide that you are not going to "over eat" as well and keep that new build in mind at all times

R,

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »

I have a doctors appointment later this morning, I've decided that after smoking for forty plus years it's about time I quit for good. I reckon that last year's heart attack was an early warning, so I'm going to get a non-smoking course set up with him, get the arm patches, and generally get this habit stopped once and for all. Enough is enough, I wake up in the mornings with a mouth like the bottom of my parrot's cage, and that's not a pretty sight sometimes.
Rich
Health and  Safety gone mad......
Surely you don't believe all that goverment clap-trap about "Smoking Kills"
and
Remember any extra years now will be incontinent ones, sat in a chair, in care home....not teenage drinkin and chasing women ones..... {-)

das boot

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 07:44:55 pm »

I can't believe the response to this, thanks so much chaps...it's giving me immense encouragement for tomorrow morning.

I can't put on weight, since coming off driving the sweeper I've lost four inches off my waistline and also got rid of nearly three stone in weight, I don't want to put that lot back on. Guess I'll have to walk around my work patch instead of driving a van. G/f says I feel like a new man...I got enough with her without getting a new man as well.. ::)

Tomorrow morning then, soon as I wake up, it's hit the shower and get the first patch on. I'm almost out of tobacco anyway, that'll go tonight and then that'll be it.

I'm thinking positive here...

Thanks again guys...

Rich ( a non-smoker)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 08:50:57 pm »

At the risk of being something out of a Bateman cartoon I can honestly say iIve never had a ciggy in my life. At school, I was a perverse s*d and when the others went behind the bike sheds I went the other way just to be different.

However, when it comes to whisky.... (hic)

das boot

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:44 pm »

Colin, you've led a very sheltered life, I can see this.

There were FAR more interesting things going on behind the bike sheds at our school than having a crafty smoke. Not that I ever went there, of course.... :angel:

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 09:33:17 pm »

You went to a co educational school then? I shudder to think of the alternative.....

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 09:38:38 pm »

GO FOR IT U-33, I stopped last November, the hardest time was on holiday in France this July, but I got through it. GOOD LUCK
Alan
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.