Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wish me luck, chaps.. (Quitting Smoking)  (Read 13194 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Wish me luck, chaps.. (Quitting Smoking)
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 07:18:09 am »

Grasshopper..... know that feeling, that hurts so bad..... biting in your cheeks.... or tongue... uuuuuh :P
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

grandad

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2008, 01:28:48 pm »

Rich
Please do not do what I did!
I had been smoking for (Like you) for over 40  years and had tried to quit numerois time with everything u could buy to hellp u quit! nothing worked!
I found myself lying to my family and taking money from my wife to buy a pack of smokes THEN!
In June of this year (I have had heart attacks before and they didn't stop me from smoking) I was in the yard taking a couple of puffs when my stomach began to hurt real bad and I mean BAD) without waking my family I jumped in my pickumup and headed for the ER
after the Dr. Examined me he told me that I had blown out my colon ! i wound up in intensive care for a couple of weeks THEN i coughed hard and blew out my colon again (weakened by years of smoking) needless to say every doctor in the hospital told my family that I could not live !
But one Dr. didn't give up and I am now doing fine

DONT START BACK

Larry
Grandad

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2008, 05:10:12 pm »

Just a thankyou to Didge,

Both the wife and I have been chronic smokers for years having read Didge's post we purchased two electronic ciggie's haven't touched a real one for a week and now smoking for real is banned in our house.

Never know it may help to go the whole hog, will have to wait and see about that.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

das boot

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2008, 08:48:49 pm »

Wow...seems I have started something here, so let's keep it going eh? I'm still struggling through day by day, I admit to weakening a couple of times, but then everytime I do weaken and have a smoke, it tastes worse and worse, so by my reckoning one day very soon a smoke is going to taste so bl**dy awful it'll make me real bad, and that will be THE one.

If I can keep on like I am now..one, maybe two a day, I'm pleased. I only roll them, take a pull or two and leave them on the dash anyway, so I don't really class it as smoking properly.

Tomorrow I have a doc's appointment again, I have to report to him about my progress...I'll post up his thoughts tomorrow after work.

But on the upside...even my cooking tastes better, so that's got to be a good thing!

Rich

omra85

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2008, 10:04:47 pm »

Rich
If your doc's any good he'll give you a CO2 test which will show IMMEDIATELY if you have had a single cig in the last 3 -4 hours.
I'm not saying this so that you can try to lie to him, just so you are aware.

I thought you'd chucked out all the baccy and cleaned the ashtrays  ::)
The old trick of keeping the car window wide open whilst driving along, eh?  Freeze your nuts off for a drag that you can't taste cos your so cold  ::) ::)   Why are we so daft  {-)

Bin there - done that - but keep it up giving them up and one day, you just won't bother with one and be able to sit in a lovely WARM car with the windows shut  O0

Danny

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2008, 10:56:14 pm »

Hi all, I don't know if this will help but I gave up smoking in 1971, this was the 3rd. attempt and this time  it worked for me.

I bought my self a present.  This represented the cost of 6 weeks of smoking and it took some justifying. Doing this is a bit of an eye opener as to how much you spend on cigarettes.
I told myself that at the end of the 6 weeks I could smoke again or buy myself another 'present'.

I never bought myself that 2nd. present and I did not smoke anymore either.

Best of luck and I do hope you succeed.
Roy

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2008, 08:15:30 am »

C'mom mate,  just say no.  O0

Hard ain't it, been there. you'll get there if you really want to.

Martin

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2008, 09:45:37 am »

For what it's worth, that odd drag you're having will keep the brain ticking away in the background and it's a timebomb. One really stressful moment and the smoking devil in your brain will demand satisfaction and you will definately light up that stogey you have sitting on the dashboard. The best thing you can do is sling it out of the window because you know it is there and you WILL light it up again! You have to learn to hate it and hate yourself for being a slave to it, these comments come from one who has bin there many times. I gave up for years and had completely forgotten about smoking until I let myself down ONCE and wiped out years of freedom because it put me straight back on it.
Keep at it but always bear in mind that even though you give up, that little b-st--d in your brain will still be sitting there for years waiting to pounce, so never get contemptuous of him.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2008, 10:07:46 am »

Hy Guys
My wife and I had been relatively heavy smokers from our early teens, we had been married for 25 years when she was diagnosed with lung cancer, she died in my arms in April 1993,  I never, ever, want to see anybody suffer like that again, You would think that this would have made me stop smoking, but the stress of the time made it worse, I would smoke anything and everything I could get, I also turned to drinking, believe it or not my favourite drink would be Brandy and Nightnurse, yes you did read that right, I lost my home, family and friends through it all , not directly through smoking but it was a major factor, I could,nt even stop even for my families sake, and the reason why is  (Deep down I did,nt want to )  
I have since got it all back on course, I literally said to myself one day, what the hell are you doing to yourself,  I threw away the fags and the booze, and have not touched a smoke, or drink for 11 years, and the reason I could do it was, because I WANTED TO DO IT FOR MYSELF, not because somebody else had kept on to me, or it was the right thing to do. I am a musician and my working enviroment at the time was full of cigarette smoke and drink, so keeping to not smoking was hard,
  Since thenI have remarried,  and completely turned my life around ,I  still work as a musician but only ever drink water before I go on stage, I  never ever smoke, and usually dont have people around me that do. Why do I put smoking and drinking together, well in my case one begat another, they are both hard to stop once you get hooked, but believe me if I can quit anybody can. I am now going out to my shed/workshop. I have 6 tugs out there, either complete or part built, I have another 7 fishing boats to build or finish, but mostly I now have the health, the inclination, and god willing the time to enjoy my life. and I can honestly say if I had,nt stopped I would,nt be here to write tis message.
You can do it .
Best Wishes
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 10:24:56 am »

And - of this morning - I have just finished a box. So that'll be my last one.

Andy, keen to see the £1500 a year I'll be saving.

Ummm, well. It wasn't my last one. I wrote the above in September last year.  :embarrassed: And I suppose I'm £1500 worse off than then.  <:(

However!!!!  :-))

On Tuesday night, the right moment came: I felt ready, I got a pile of support, and I quit. Cold Turkey. Enough. No more.

It's now Friday mid-morning and the physical craving has substantially gone. From "painful" to "next to nothing" in 60 hours: if you know the end is not too far away, and just get through this spell of two to three days, hour by hour, it's not too difficult.

So that's my brain just about given up on nicotine. The next two weeks are going to be spent concentrating on adjusting my psychological addiction. Not wanting one after eating, with a pint, etc.

...Then I'll be completely back with the sanctimonious reformed smoke-free people who posted here with so much good advice a year ago!

Andy, ready to start saving cash.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2009, 10:45:26 am »

Andy, good luck shipmate... go for it. A member of my family gave up two years ago, became a sanctimonious, self righteous reformed smoker and even told me he used to get irritated being around those who still smoked and thought it was the most stupid thing in the world.
I warned him he was just one fag away from going back to it and he should be ever watchful but he was so full of self righteousness and treated my comment with contempt.
One day his son brought loads of cigs back from abroad, he tried one..... end of story, he's straight back on the ruddy things and doing 20 a day. Worse than that, his wife had given up at the same time and she's back on them too!!
 Once a smoker, always a smoker.... BEWARE!! I speak from personal experience here too.
I hope his and many others experience will help speed you to a full and permanent recovery Andy
Wishing you all the luck in the world now you are almost a free man.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 01:29:43 pm »

Hi Rich........... %% I smoked for 46 years , but am now smoke free for 9 years

I used the Nicobate patch 3 month system
I do not crave a ciggie
I can light a ciggie for my wife with out the desire to smoke it
My taste sensation of foods has improved ......but only markedly
I do now notice others......that smoke by the odour of their clothing  :((

My memory tells me it was Sir Francis Drake  >>:-( who bought tobacco back from the Americas...unknowing the TAX $$$$$$$ for Governments  & the death rate involved

If you want to stop you can....but it must be your decision & your determination...........regards Derek  :-))

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 01:44:49 pm »

If you need some incentive to stay of smoking maybe this post I put on some time ago will help.

First I was still smoking when I was diagnosed.
The first symptoms were a shortness of breath when when exerting myself, I was a builder. Then there was the smokers cough which was getting worse. I then started to get a fairly serious shortage of breath when working in dusty conditions, not  good for a builder. I started to struggle carrying heavy weights especially on stairs or ladders.
I went to my GP who sent me for x-rays. When the results came back the GP asked me to call in the surgery where she told me I had emphysema, I packed up smoking that day [9/11] and I haven't smoked since.
The emphysema has got worse since then. I had to retire the following April and haven't worked since. Previous to packing up work I cannot remember the last time I was sick.
I have been bluelighted to the hospital twice and on the second occasion my wife was told to expect the worse, this was cause by an excess of CO2 in my blood caused by the lungs not working properly. The CO2 effectively shut down my internal organs.
I also suffer from cellulitis which is an infection in my legs that can make the legs swell to twice there normal size and is a side affect of poor circulation.
As I said previously this disease affects every aspect of your life. You think of something that you do and this will affect or prevent you doing it. Your life very nearly comes to a standstill .
Air quality which the average person doesn't notice can confine you to a chair because of the breathlessness.
Shaving can result in having to sit down for 5minutes to get your breath back.
Filling kettle and making tea can have the same affect.
You can not plan to do anything as you don't know how you will be on the day.
Boat building has to be done in short spells because the of fumes from paint glue solder etc
If you need anything lifted or carried you need help.
A lot of walking is out , you need a wheelchair and someone to push it.
If you need to pop in a shop you have to park right outside because it will be too far to walk otherwise.
You will learn to hate able bodied people who park in disabled parking bays, or use disabled toilets.
You are not allowed on a plane again because of the low oxygen and low pressure in the cabin.
For me that means I will never see my mum or sister and her family again as they live in New Zealand.
I have to be on oxygen every night which makes going away a bit of a problem.
Talking of nights, sometimes it can be a struggle to get upstairs at night, might have to stop a couple of times to get my breath back. I now need a stair lift.
I hope I haven't waffle on to much but it is very difficult to really tell it like it is.
I hope you can now see why I spend so much time on here, it is the nearest I get to meeting and speaking to other people. Sad or what ?
The one thing I forgot, the medication, I collect 2 months at a time and it comes in two carrier bags, so ask the wife to empty out a kitchen unit because you will need it. [See photo]
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

BrianCartwright

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2009, 06:05:55 pm »

:-))Rich,
Like you I smoked every thing and any thing for over 40 years.ten years ago I caught a severe viral infection.On going to the doctors I was prescribed antibiotics.By the time I got home I was really gasping for breath.I phoned the doctor again and he said what do you expect,give the medication a chance.I went to bed and could hardly breath even going to the bathroom.
The next day I felt a little better,thought I'd try a fag,as you would being a hardened slave to the weed.No chance.I couldn't get my breath for what seemed like a life time.Second day same results.Third day same.I then threw my toys out of the pram and I said sod it then I'll quit,and I did.
What I'm trying to do is boost your moral a bit as if you put your mind to it you can quit.
I think all these aids to quitting smoking only frustrate your efforts.
It helps a bit if like me you are a bit spoilt,arogant and bloody minded,particularly the latter.
Lookl Rich,just go for it,no more I'll d it on Wednesday.DO IT NOW!!!!!.
Best of luck mate.

Brian

Wasyl

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2009, 10:44:30 pm »

Hi Rich,
I,ll stick my tuppence worth in,for what its worth,I,m 59 and up until 6 years ago,I still had both of my parents,but then in quick succession, i lost both of them,...To a smoking related disease,My mother was diagnosed as having Lung Cancer at 66,she had the diseased lung removed,and she stopped smoking,then  lived for another 10 years,then COPD (,Emphysema)took her,My father had a Heart Attack (smoking related)at 66,he, survived this, stopped smoking, and went on to live until he was 77,then a stroke took him,
3 Months ago I was diagnosed with COPD,(mild) but it will get worse,I too am trying to stop smoking,I am breathless,I,ve now taken early retirement,
I know i should stop altogether,but am finding it very difficult,I have been able to cut down from 3oz Old Holborn per week,to just 1oz per week, but it is still 1oz too many,I, have had encouragement from members on here,and I,have now set a date,to which i am now gearing,and on this date i will stop,
I did try to stop before,and was smoke free for 6 months in which time i was able to save nearly £600,which paid for a holiday,Hopefully this time i will succeed,My D,Day, is the 31st Oct,

Wullie

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2009, 11:31:39 pm »

....was on the pacth for the first 2 weeks of October after listening to my 10 year step son always complaining to Mum and i while on holiday, stress got me and work, but as of Sunday am I've had it , no patch and no nurse, just go for it, I didn't need a patch to start smoking so why should I use one to stop, those 2 weeks I felt real good, teeth were cleaner, food tasted better, and my car smelt better, so go for it.

Robert

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2009, 01:50:18 am »

Well Rich....it is nearly a month now since your posting & I see approx 63 replies.......which is a great response.....please confirm how you are progressing.....I am sure each of the other members who have posted would like to know........Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Abuelo3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2009, 05:03:16 pm »

HEY HEY HEY
STOP SMOKING, YES, YES YES
Let me give some advice, just fine when You need really to smoke, go to your favorite deli shop, buy some fresh CHILES, any kind but fresh, bite it , You will fell some fire, >>:-( but You will NOT need to smock, the other way is to wash your mouth with Tequila and off course , You have to spit ALL the tequila.
Goo Luck, and please do not give up.
Best Wishes :-))

ajb68

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2009, 05:57:14 pm »

If you need some incentive to stay of smoking maybe this post I put on some time ago will help.

First I was still smoking when I was diagnosed.
The first symptoms were a shortness of breath when when exerting myself, I was a builder. Then there was the smokers cough which was getting worse. I then started to get a fairly serious shortage of breath when working in dusty conditions, not  good for a builder. I started to struggle carrying heavy weights especially on stairs or ladders.
I went to my GP who sent me for x-rays. When the results came back the GP asked me to call in the surgery where she told me I had emphysema, I packed up smoking that day [9/11] and I haven't smoked since.
The emphysema has got worse since then. I had to retire the following April and haven't worked since. Previous to packing up work I cannot remember the last time I was sick.
I have been bluelighted to the hospital twice and on the second occasion my wife was told to expect the worse, this was cause by an excess of CO2 in my blood caused by the lungs not working properly. The CO2 effectively shut down my internal organs.
I also suffer from cellulitis which is an infection in my legs that can make the legs swell to twice there normal size and is a side affect of poor circulation.
As I said previously this disease affects every aspect of your life. You think of something that you do and this will affect or prevent you doing it. Your life very nearly comes to a standstill .
Air quality which the average person doesn't notice can confine you to a chair because of the breathlessness.
Shaving can result in having to sit down for 5minutes to get your breath back.
Filling kettle and making tea can have the same affect.
You can not plan to do anything as you don't know how you will be on the day.
Boat building has to be done in short spells because the of fumes from paint glue solder etc
If you need anything lifted or carried you need help.
A lot of walking is out , you need a wheelchair and someone to push it.
If you need to pop in a shop you have to park right outside because it will be too far to walk otherwise.
You will learn to hate able bodied people who park in disabled parking bays, or use disabled toilets.
You are not allowed on a plane again because of the low oxygen and low pressure in the cabin.
For me that means I will never see my mum or sister and her family again as they live in New Zealand.
I have to be on oxygen every night which makes going away a bit of a problem.
Talking of nights, sometimes it can be a struggle to get upstairs at night, might have to stop a couple of times to get my breath back. I now need a stair lift.
I hope I haven't waffle on to much but it is very difficult to really tell it like it is.
I hope you can now see why I spend so much time on here, it is the nearest I get to meeting and speaking to other people. Sad or what ?
The one thing I forgot, the medication, I collect 2 months at a time and it comes in two carrier bags, so ask the wife to empty out a kitchen unit because you will need it. [See photo]

I have been a smoker for about 25 years and have been thinking of giving up not for purely financial reasons but also because my second wife Susan and i had a beautiful baby boy 4 months ago , having read the posts on this thread an Dickyd , s post especially i have decided to go for it i was a commercial fishing skipper and ive been to hell and back out there but i think this will be the toughest fight ive had , thanks to dickyd and all the others who have posted . Regards Andy

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2009, 06:31:37 pm »

Rich
If your doc's any good he'll give you a CO2 test which will show IMMEDIATELY if you have had a single cig in the last 3 -4 hours.
I'm not saying this so that you can try to lie to him, just so you are aware.

I thought you'd chucked out all the baccy and cleaned the ashtrays  ::)
The old trick of keeping the car window wide open whilst driving along, eh?  Freeze your nuts off for a drag that you can't taste cos your so cold  ::) ::)   Why are we so daft  {-)

Bin there - done that - but keep it up giving them up and one day, you just won't bother with one and be able to sit in a lovely WARM car with the windows shut  O0

Danny

Something to bear in mind.  The CO2 test can show false positives if you have been soldering or welding within the last few hours... I went for my checkup and I was showing readings similar to what I would have had I just had a cig.  I had actually been welding that morning.

I use a plastic cigarette called crafe away.  My mum sends me 2 a month from the UK.  They are 2 quid each
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2009, 04:59:21 pm »

Well it's a week yesterday that I stopped.  :-))

And I feel fine.

The physical cravings have gone, completely, and there's only the odd "I used to smoke at this point" as I go through my daily routines - which'll pass in a week or two.

I can breath better, I'm snoring less, and I can run up and down the stairs at work like I used to be able to. Plus I'm saving money AND not giving the government half as much as I did! Win-win!!!

Andy, recommending everyone who does smoke to give "giving up" a go.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2009, 06:32:34 pm »

The hardest part of quitting smoking is admitting to yourself that you can NEVER EVER have another cigarette EVER! I quit just over 12 years ago and have never smoked since.

Abuelo3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2009, 04:52:28 pm »

HIP HIP HIP.
wHEN I QUITT SMOKING I FIND THAT I HAVE A BETTER PERFOMANCE IN MY HUSBAND DUTY %% :P

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2009, 03:16:01 pm »

well done those of you who have done it.  Im trying to get over the chest infection i got from that new drug " Champix", its bloody hard to enjoy a fag with a bad chest !  Anyway, im off to a Hypnotherapist on Thursday evening........ i will either come out a non smoker or acting like a chicken everytime someone clicks their fingers !.

but if its going to make me even better in the husbandly role..... i feel sorry for the wife !.
in my own little world

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2009, 10:19:55 pm »

....back on the patch tomorrow, really want to do this, smart enough to know better, wish me luck. Asked the nurse about the Champix and Zyban, which they don't use anymore, but first attempt had 2 weeks and all went well until first stress day and bang grab a fag, but have resovled to readdress this with better communication.

Robert
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.