Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Irrational fascination, distractions & obsessions...  (Read 8833 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Irrational fascination, distractions & obsessions...
« on: September 19, 2008, 12:53:52 pm »

You know those irrational fascination / distractions that sometimes take hold of people lives... well this is one of mine!  :D
I'm sure I've put this on here before but I can't find it....
Sequential flashing Amber Lights in roadworks!

A new set of roadworks has appeared on my route to work and as usual, there are 4 million traffic cones out and 3 men
working...  >:(
Part of the traffic management are sequential flashing amber lights on top of cones at the entrance to the lane closure,
(for those that have a real life,battery powered amber lights are placed on top of red traffic cones, the first one flashes and
then all the following lights flash in sequence all the way down the row.)

Well, I've always wondered how these work in the respect of maintaining the sequence. So as it's Friday and I've got loads
to do,  I thought I's find out once and for all. After expensive bad searches I found a brand name of Nissen and then a terms:
Xenon Guide Lights, Sequential Lamp Amber and photocell...

I've found this.

Xenon Guide Lights. The units have the same very important advantages: The base units consist of four lamps which can be extended with any number of lamps. Synchronization can be done by the lamps either in the transport box or standing next to each other. The moment the first lamp is switched on all other lamps are automatically switched on and synchronized by infrared diodes, mounted on each lamp as a transmitter / receiver. Switching off the unit is done in the same way: the moment the first lamp is switched off all other lamps are automatically switched off as well. A light chain of any number of lamps and of various lengths can be formed. All lamps are similar and can be used individually. The lamps are set up in sequence so that a flash runs from the first through to the last lamp. Back up continuous light gives constant information on the traffic guidance at nightfall, with automatic day / night adaptation and low-charge indication. The lamps can be slipped over folding triangles, or with the use of an adapter can be placed on traffic cones and are then located at the drivers eye level. Use in conjunction with folding triangles or traffic cones does provide a dual warning.
http://www.waproducts.net/section7/Guide_Lights.html

Self-synchronising sequential lamps for use on tapers at roadworks and incident management.
Each twin battery lamp is fitted with a Super LED and an integrated infra-red transmission.
A static amber backup light stays on during the sequential flash to provide continuous guidance to motorists.
Red LED at the rear of each lamp, provides clear indication if the lamp is synchronised to the lamp in front.
All lamps are identical. Any lamp can be placed in any position.
Any number of lamps can be used to form a sequential guiding length.
Quick and easy to deploy.
Low power consumption.
Firm grip once mounted over a cone.
Robust lamp with polycarbonate lens to withstand harsh working and environmental conditions.
Operates on nickel cadmium rechargeable batteries or dry cell 6v batteries.
Available in a robust and compact transport box (optional)
Approved by DfT and fully compliant with Chapter 8 specifications
http://www.pro-tectsafetysigns.com/product.php/TaperLamp-Sequential-Lamp-Amber/1662/

Anyway.... that's is one of my obsessions, what's yours?  O0

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Reade Models

Re: Irrational fascination, distractions & obsessions...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 12:59:59 pm »

Martin

Go and lie down for a while, it'll pass and you'll be OK

Malc

ronkh

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 01:10:11 pm »

Might well be too late for that Malc.

Ron.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:00:15 pm »

Martin, you're seriously telling us that someone doesn't switch them on in sequence?

That's blown that bubble.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 02:15:49 pm »

poor martin.... he needs to get out more.....

next he'll be telling us he's adopted some traffic cones or he has a tesco trolley in his garden as he thought it looked lonely or something...

martin have you been sniffing the contact cleaner aerosols again ?
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:39:58 pm »

I'll tell you about my other ponderments after my next session with the psychiatrist....  :D
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:35:47 pm »

I've always wondered how they erect those towering spindly cranes on the top of a skyscraper, never seen it done as they just seem to appear overnight and no one has ever told me how it's done. I must look it up sometime as it's bugging me!
And another thing, they seem very top heavy with the most minimal of base supports, I can't imagine anyone mad enough to climb up and work in one as they seem to be standing up by sheer luck.

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »

Tower cranes now your talking!

self stack

Liebherr cranes
R,

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 04:53:54 pm »

I've always wondered how they erect those towering spindly cranes ...

Check out youtube - there's time lapses of it being done which explains the process.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 05:06:24 pm »

fun to do until you have to change the rope  >>:-(

120 feet tall = 2 fall plus trolly plus boom plus lead and trail ends nearly every time the crane is in the errected state and so the drum is up in the sky some where with the new rope on a reel on a lorry on the ground  :D

earnt some great money doing the jobs others don't want to

R,

Oh and when your up that high the sway is around 4 ft from perp

ronkh

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 05:15:43 pm »

I've always wondered how they erect those towering spindly cranes on the top of a skyscraper, never seen it done as they just seem to appear overnight and no one has ever told me how it's done. I must look it up sometime as it's bugging me!
And another thing, they seem very top heavy with the most minimal of base supports, I can't imagine anyone mad enough to climb up and work in one as they seem to be standing up by sheer luck.
Does the name Martin spring to mind? :D :o :P

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 05:56:14 pm »

OK, Martin. Here is one for the clever guys among you.

How do space vehicles manoeuvre? I know they have small jets which can be fired to steer, but what are they pushing against?

I have had the explanation from a scientist/engineer "...to each action there is an equal and opposite reaction...." but I still don't get it!

Roger in France.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 06:12:37 pm »

here is one for TT & Martin Mayhem  {-)

This has always baffled me:  and, that is, can guests on this Forum see pictures that we members cannot see?   meaning, I have often seen guests viewing name that ship and other topics which consist of mainly photographs, very few words, hey I have often wondered what are they looking at.......such as Name this Ship....blankkkkkkkk

aye

john e

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 06:26:29 pm »

OK, Martin. Here is one for the clever guys among you.

How do space vehicles manoeuvre? I know they have small jets which can be fired to steer, but what are they pushing against?

I have had the explanation from a scientist/engineer "...to each action there is an equal and opposite reaction...." but I still don't get it!

Roger in France.

Hi Roger - well that is it in a nutshell. Force equals mass times accelleration. The jets on the space vehicles emit gas - the gas is accellerated from rest. Because it has mass it means there is a forced exerted on the gas. But for that force has to push against something otherwise it would have no effect. The handy place for the force to act is on the mass that is squirting out the gas - a force acting on a mass produces an acceleration. Think in terms of trying to push a weight on a slippery surface - as you push the weight one way you tend to slide in the other

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

das boot

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 07:51:50 pm »

My God, I worry about you lot, I really do. Cranes and flashing beacons and pushing things without something to push against...what are you lot like? There are real problems in the world to worry about, like...well, I'll think of something in a short.

Martin...easy way out for you of your problem mate...travel by train. No flashing beacons...end of problem.  O0
Sl...stop looking up and you won't see cranes. End of problem. O0
Roger...stop watching Star Trek. No space rockets...end of problem. O0

I'm wasted here, you know.... 8)

Rich(brain doctor)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 08:42:42 pm »

I sometimes wonder about how processes were found, like the creation of beer.  You need part germinated grain, hops, yeast and water at the right temperature where the nasties cant get at it for just long enough.  Thats a heck of a coincidence.  Who was the unsung genius who figured it out?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 08:47:30 pm »

Ah U-33 you must not have an answer to my ailment  :)  I cannot stop wondering why guests dont log on or join the forum to view the ship that they are reading about.

and why have I just spent 20 minutes dismantling my battery charger casing only to find it was a broken wire at the plug end  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :P :-X :angel: :D :o
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 08:52:38 pm »

Now which country is it where they eat rotten fish? Apparently, they get a perfectly good fresh fish, bury it for a time until it's totally rank and disgusting then dig it up and eat it. I would like to know who sniffed it, thought it was appealing and had the first mouthful! The very thought...excuse me but I'm about to chunder..... wooolkk!!

djrobbo

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 08:57:36 pm »

Who was the first person to think , hey that large thing with four legs and some horney things on its head would be great to eat , so lets kill it and chuck it on a fire ::)

warspite

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24:55 pm »

I really liked the series - HOW DO THEY DO IT - and cannot figure out why in some processes, the machine dumps the part just made/machined into a stilage and then someone has to rearrange them into something that ressembles how they came out of the last machine into the next machine - WHY DONT THEY JUST PASS THEM ONTO THE NEXT MACHINE STRAIGHT FROM THE LAST ONE - ggggrrrrr (with modern photo checking systems that is possible now, but quality control is the real reason, so why am i getting worried, just having a moment)  ;D

chingdevil

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 10:52:08 pm »

Water consists of two elements Hydrogen and Oxygen.
Hydrogen is a very explosive gas and burns very easily
Oxygen is vital for combustion

Why does water not burn????

No matter how much hotter water gets there is never any flames, only hotter water.

Brian

warspite

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 11:04:45 pm »

What - you never heard of the stories of fire men feeding a fire with water, if the temp got to high the hydrogen seperated from the water and the oxygen fed the flame - or am i misunderstanding the claim  :(

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 10:54:06 am »

I've often wondered who walked along a sandy Beach and thought;

"I could make Glass windows out of this stuff"

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 11:21:09 am »

Water consists of two elements Hydrogen and Oxygen.
Hydrogen is a very explosive gas and burns very easily
Oxygen is vital for combustion

Why does water not burn????

No matter how much hotter water gets there is never any flames, only hotter water.

Brian
Because the two elements like each other very much.  All the fire goes out of the relationship on meeting.  Once joined, they dont let go.  Basically, water is burnt hydrogen, or dihydrogen monoxide.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 11:23:21 am »

Kenny,

Probably the same bloke who found the oyster and thought "Yummy - and I don't even need to cook it!"

Rick
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.