Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SWM Trafalgar/Trenchant submarine help needed  (Read 2959 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
SWM Trafalgar/Trenchant submarine help needed
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

Does anyone have experience building this kit? I am contemplating getting one but as a novice in the RC submarine world I am unsure how easy to build it would be. My biggest concern is putting the working parts together in the WTC, ballasting and what additional parts I would need to get the sub running reliably. How long does it take to arrive from the US once ordered and what would the overall cost be for a finished model?

Many thanks
Simon  ???

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: SWM Trafalgar/Trenchant submarine help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:30:42 pm »

Hi Simon I have built the SWM Trafalgar as well as the Blueback (see the For Sale section for some pictures of my Blueback and the internals). The build is pretty straight forward really. For the hull you need to drill a few holes in the bottom of the hull to let water in. The sail is screwed to the top hull and is removable, or you can bond it in for a neater finish. There's really no work needed for the WTC other than fitting 3 servos. the motor and ballast tanks and seals come preinstalled. Ballasting make take a few minutes or a few hours depending on how and where you have placed the battery and lead weights. I need a chunck of foam up front and some lead in the bottom of the hull. Try to keep to as much weight toward the rear of the boat to aid its turing circle, otherwise these T boats with thier propulsors have a pretty big turning radius  :'( There are a couple of pictures of mine (sold a while back) on the home page of my site. When i ordered mine it to around 12 week to be completed and a about 2 weeks to get here. There may be some duty and VAT to pay depending on how good a job the customs guys are doing on the particular day it arrives.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:55:54 pm »

Many thanks for the info Mankster! I've looked at your USS Blueback sub many times in the sales section on the forum; it's a very neat looking model and a credit to you! As far as the Trafalgar sub is concerned how much would I have to pay in total roughly (including any import duty) to have a running model? Is the pitch controller difficult to install? Many thanks again.

Simon  ;)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:05:31 pm »

Vat is 17.5% on the cost of the product + postage (customs seemingly have their own way of calaculating £-$ exchange rates). Duty not sure, something small like 5%? and then Royal Mail usually charge you £8 or so paying the tax on your behalf and clearing customs.  Pitch controller are easy to fit, just stick them on with double sided tape on any vertical or horizontal surface. I stuck mine on the side of the receiver. In addition to the kit, you will need 3 servos, 4Channael radio gear, a 7.2v battery pack and pitch controller, and paint.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:56:52 am »

Many thanks again Mankster!

Simon  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.