Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens'  (Read 2419 times)

The long Build

Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens'
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:19:43 pm »

Well looks like another money making scheme for the Government , just received an email from Screwfix with the above subject , thought it was some joke until I looked into it, ok I suppose what there saying probably has a hint of truth in it, in which case shouldn't they stop allowing large areas of flood plains from being built on and large areas for carparks etc with the new superstores being developed.  Oh well 10 days to sort out our front drive.

"From 1 October 2008 the permitted development rights that allow
householders to pave their front garden for hardstanding without planning permission
have changed. Planning permission is now required to lay traditional impermeable
driveways that allow uncontrolled runoff of rainwater from front gardens onto roads,
because this can contribute to flooding and pollution of watercourses.
If a new driveway or parking area is constructed using permeable surfaces such as
permeable concrete block paving, porous asphalt or gravel, or if the water is otherwise
able to soak into the ground you will not require planning permission. The new rules will
also apply where existing hardstandings are being replaced. The new rules apply to hard
surfaces exceeding 5 square metres in area.
Applying for planning permission will require you to fill in an application form, draw plans
(which have to be to scale) and pay a fee of £150. Planning applications for this type of
householder development should normally be decided within 8 weeks after submission."

Text From
www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/pavingfrontgardens.pdf

andygh

Re: Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens'
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:24:07 pm »

Brilliant, a way of appearing to care for the environment at the same time as ripping people off, I'm in the wrong business  >>:-(

das boot

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:29:08 pm »

Live in a block of flats. No garden, no driveway...no problem.

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:31:56 pm »

And no workshop...

bigH

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 04:36:04 pm »

Colin, will you keep quiet about w/shops, or they will find some way to tax us on them next

Harry

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 04:54:15 pm »

that allow uncontrolled runoff of rainwater from front gardens onto roads,
Isn't this a contradiction,
 if the rain water is prevented from running off into the drains !! that is if they are working and the local cc has bothered to clear them (2yrs it took me to get them to unblock one near us) then any pollution will soak through the ground anyway, also I would have thought that there was much more pollution running of the main roads after a good downpoor.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

Does this mean you can charge the local Council if the water runs off of the road on to your driveway / property?...

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:36:37 pm »

Good Point..

Same council who are talking about introducing a congestion charge (not Manchester) yet it's them who have indirectly created the problem by allowing so many estates to be built within the area.

I must admit I collect my rain water, any access throw onto the large hedge we have to save letting it flow away , might start charging them..

kiwi96

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:56:21 am »

Hi everyone.
Interesting to hear that you in the UK have the same problems we in NZ have. I work with the councils alot in my job as a draughtsman and overhere the rules are the same. Although we may have larger sections ( 500m2 to 1200m2 ) being avaerage. Here are the council regulations on covering "YOUR" section.
35% maximum building coverage.
40% landscaped and permeable surface.
25% impereable surface.
Any varation over this requires planning approval, and this starts at around $1200.00 ( 450 Pounds ). Requires neighbours consent as well and takes about 8weeks to get.
So you guys are not the only ones which get shafted by your local authority.
Cheers.
Adrian.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 01:44:37 pm »

that allow uncontrolled runoff of rainwater from front gardens onto roads,
Isn't this a contradiction,
 if the rain water is prevented from running off into the drains !! that is if they are working and the local cc has bothered to clear them (2yrs it took me to get them to unblock one near us) then any pollution will soak through the ground anyway, also I would have thought that there was much more pollution running of the main roads after a good downpoor.
I thought the problem was that as the water can't soak into gardens it runs into the roads, the road drains can't take the excess and it floods houses etc.
There's noticeably much more surface water on the roads round our way since more gardens were fagged over. They are having to build big "tanks" under roads, to take the excess so it can be gradually pumped away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.