Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheelchair Motors!!!  (Read 4283 times)

BlazingPenguin

Wheelchair Motors!!!
« on: September 22, 2008, 03:45:50 pm »

I have acquired two large wheelchair motors with a view to using them to propel a large scale tank, I cant get them to do anything when connected to a battery?

There are four wires coming from it, there are two obvious power cables in red/black and another two thinner ones in red, the wheel chair manual mentions a solenoid brake and Im guessing thats what the other two are for.

Anyone any ideas on how to connect these motors to a battery for normal foward and reverse operation?

andygh

Re: Wheelchair Motors!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:55:48 pm »

The brake needs a 24v input (if it's a 24v motor, they usually are) to release it. Put 24v across the 2 thin leads and you should be able to run the motor as normal via the thicker red & black leads

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:19 pm »

Just had a friend of mine oin the phone on this subject and he agrees that AndyGH's solution looks right, so we'll give that a go. O0

Proteus

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 06:59:12 pm »

take the end cap off and remove the brake, you wont need them on a tug.

Proteus

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:01:36 pm »

Over kill on a tug but great for the TANK  O0 O0

Still wont need the brake units though

andygh

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:10:03 pm »

AndyGH's solution looks right

Thank gawd for that, I get payed for doing that kind of stuff for a living  :D

Sandy Calder

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:23:06 pm »

Hi BlazingPenguin,
If there is something like a 200 ohm resistance between the two thin red wires then Andy's hunch is probably right.
If so, 12 to 24 volts across red pair shouldn't do any harm and might make resistance across RED/BLACK change.
Regards
Sandy Calder

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:49:18 pm »

Has this removal of the end cap etc been done before on motors like this pic then?

Theres a sticker across the join that says "touch this seal and the bunny gets it"...or something to that effect, if you can access a brake mechanism in there, that would explain the big warning.  I'll give give that a go in the morning...

Got the ply for the carcass, got the motors, got the wheels, still to find a dead treadmill for part of the tracks now.

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:27:55 pm »

Impatient as usual I couldnt wait till morning, while the dog was on late night mouse patrol I took advantage of the few mins to get that cap off and Voila!!! two wires and some allen bolts later....two perfect, massive torque, low revving, low amperage motors for my Tiger Tank at last!
I tried the usual 'hold the spindle' method of torque testung and almost ripped my arm off and crush the dog as it made for the floor, these are the strongest motors I have ever seen, I got to thinking....what a monster paddle tug they could drive???? hehehehehheeehhehe  :D

Proteus

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:44:04 pm »

glad you sorted it I have played with a few over the years,   http://www.4qd.co.uk/ are the people to get speed controllers from they even do a link between wheelchair controllers and RC equipment.

Proteus

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:32:35 pm »

I also have both controllers, the multi purpose one fro the front and the simpler one for the carer at the back.

I planned on using one to replace both channels on a two channel transmitter, for physicaly handicapped use, stroke victims etc, but have no idea how to go about it.
I thought that the control could possibly replace the usual arrangement we use and fit the lot inside a larger robust case that could be attached onto a tray on the wheelchair.

Is this 'do-able' you think???

Tell me its a reltively straight forward process and christmas will have come early.
We have supplied boats to local special needs clubs & schools, some of whom cannot control the boats due to their particular disability, it would be a godsend if some our young guests who cannot use the boats could get more involved.

Proteus

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 02:03:12 am »

have a look at this item, it will help with any interfacing problems, also look on http://www.pgdt.com/products/index.html but bring a gold card , I have a pair of spare drives if you need them for that project free.

Proteus

http://www.4qd.co.uk/accs/rci.html

Sandy Calder

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 12:55:59 pm »

We have supplied boats to local special needs clubs & schools, some of whom cannot control the boats due to their particular disability, it would be a godsend if some our young guests who cannot use the boats could get more involved.
Are golf kart controllers usable? That is another hobby.
I got two R/C trolleys on Ebay.They were about £130 and included two geared motors,dual speed controller and keyfob transmitter with five speeds forward and reverse.Turning is by braking one wheel - as in early tanks.
I think I know someone who can customise any R/C.
p.m. about him.....he's very shy.
Regards
Sandy Calder

Acero

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 08:06:27 am »

It seems that you are making an electric wheelchair. Most of the wheelchair I've seen a while ago had a joystick controller. I think it is better if you apply this thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 19 queries.