Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Glue  (Read 2582 times)

Steve Saville

What Glue
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:29:15 pm »

Hello all  ;D
  I'm new to this site so if i have posted this in the wrong bit then i apologise.
 I am currently working my way through a Precedent all wood 46" Fairey Huntsman. 1 month in and i have the hull primmed and ready for paint. Which leads me to my question. Once i have applied the top coat of white acrylic (halfords) I wish to fix stained and varnished trim along each side of the boat and then lacquer on top. Which glue would i be best to use to glue the wood onto the paint ?. I don't really want to use cyano as i will just make a mess i need something that will do the job and is easily wiped off when i miss  {-) I know you're probably thinking why didn't i put them on before i painted it? Well honest answer is that painting isn't my strong point and i wanted to do the kit justice so the more parts i can paint and stain separately and then fit the better  ::)
 Thanks in advance, Steve

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What Glue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:36:22 pm »

I don't think you will ever get a good bond between the trim and a paint finish as the adhesive will not be able to penetrate the paint surface and the bond will be dependent upon the paint adhesion only. You could try breaking up and carefully removing the paint surface from where the trim will go using a Dremel or similar tool. If it is a wood to wood joint then using aliphetic resin wood glue will give a good bond and enable you to wipe off any excess from the surounding surface with a damp cloth.

Colin

Steve Saville

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:28:01 pm »

Thanks Colin good advice  ;) You know it's always once you have made a post that the answer becomes obvious  ::)
  Thanks again !

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:47:08 pm »

steve, for all questions relating to glues there are some great people at the end of the phone or email too

www.adhesivebrokers.co.uk

i have no link with this company other than being a satisfied customer

all in all its just another brick in the wall......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.