Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epoxy Paint.  (Read 3125 times)

Chuffy

Epoxy Paint.
« on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:11 pm »

I have acquired a fairly large glass fibre hull that has been painted with two pack epoxy paint . The red oxide is TP2 and the solid colour is TP5, both have been overpainted with TP5 clear gloss.

Can anyone tell me what type of paints can be used on top of these epoxy paints as, while I like the hull I need a different colour scheme. I have already taken the surface Finnish back with 800 grade wet and dry.

Paul.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Epoxy Paint.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:13:42 pm »

Paul, sounds like a typical Stavros-job for me.

Stavros is the man you need to talk to, the expert in all questions of painting and colour-works...

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:44:46 pm »

Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but you are stuck with two choices,either go with the original or use enamels.Personally i would not risk a mix and match.If you are going to go the enamel route try Plastic coat,BUT try a small piece first and dont blame me if it goes wrong NO GUARANTEES on this one.Personally I would go down to you local bodyshop and ask them nicely to spay it with two pack.I have seen so many reactions with overcoating with different paints go so horribly wrong believe you me on that one.Just read through the paint section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All I can say is Best of luck,sorry to be doom and gloom

Stavros

Chuffy

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:19:10 pm »

Stavros, many thanks for your input. I have been to my local body repair shop and found that they use the same paint that this hull was sprayed with. When I got the hull I was also given the remains of the paint used on the hull, ISL by the way. Mention of the Queens beer tokens and the red oxide was sprayed on mid afternoon, I will mask up tomorrow and the solid colour sprayed on Saturday. They have one old boy there who comes in to do the sign writing, he says that I will have no problems lining out with brushing enamel, good quality stuff from Phoenix /precision paints or even Valspar if it is still made just let the 2 pack stand for about a week. So bobs your uncle,Fannie's your aunt, job done.

While I've still got your ear what strippers can I use on fibre glass hulls to remove enamel paints (humbrol type) and Halfords car paints. I understand that Nitromors will strip the paint, jell coat and eat into the glass fibre, so that's a no-no!

Many thanks Stavros, much appreciated.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »

Hi Chuffy glad to hear that h old beer tokens are still in use!!!!

Right hen stripping paint off Grp is no problem at all

http://www.paint-stripper.co.uk/index.htm
or
http://www.theyachtshop.co.uk/items/paint~maintenance-and-electrical/paint-varnish~primer/dilunet/dilunet-paint-stripper-for-grp-750ml-h17525-detail.htm
or
http://www.rustins.co.uk/strypit.htm
or
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=19505&Referrer=Kelkoo

Nitromours do a GRP paint stripper you best bet is to go to a Yacht chandlers or ask at a Motor factors

Stavros

Chuffy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:37:49 am »

Just thought I,d report back on one of the paint strippers that Stavros suggested may be ok with the gell coat on fibre glass hulls. The one I went for was first on the list, Removall 620.
I have now stripped two hulls that were least 20 years old and one offs. Following the instructions the removal process took around 10 hours and two applications of the product. On one hull I could count around twelve coats of paint.  there in no damage to the gell coat and I have already sprayed on Halfords red oxide, looks great. also none of the detail in the moulding has been damaged either.

Must hand it to Stavros another brilliant idea and I,m a really happy bunny!

Paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.