Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oldest RN ship free to a good home?????  (Read 2832 times)

farrow

Oldest RN ship free to a good home?????
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:38:53 pm »

The local rag "The News", has been running a story over last Friday and Saturday about the possible future of HMS Victory. Apparently the Royal Navy is so hard up it is now considering giving the Victory to a charity or a business to own, maintain and run as a tourist attraction. They say that she costs at present £1.5 million a year to maintain, which they cannot now readily afford and would to save this money for present vessels.
When the paper challenged the RN on this story they did not deny it and said it was being considered by them. Though with about 30 ships left in the fleet of all types of commissioned vessels, why is there still about 45 flag officers about 90 coomodores plus even larger amounts of senior officers, most driving desks which could be done by cheaper civilian personnel as which happened 20 odd years ago. Is there savings to be had here if politicians had the courage to ask!!!!!!!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Oldest RN ship free to a good home?????
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:04:05 pm »

The 'Sacred wood' should be preserved by the nation! If they tok a couple of pence out of every nitpicking fine they slapped on us these days they could shove into a fund which would keep the old girl in the manner to which she has become accustomed.
I guess this is too much to ask as it smacks of common sense and I suppose they won't be happy until they have sold and disposed of the very ar.e out of our trousers!

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:19:47 pm »

THEY could also get rid of those lavish meals the officers have . all that fine dinning a standard meal is good enough for ratings
so its good enough for them.  what a waste of money that is.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 05:20:05 pm »

All the tax I pay goes towards the costs of the Victory, worth every penny O0

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 06:22:02 pm »

THEY could also get rid of those lavish meals the officers have . all that fine dinning a standard meal is good enough for ratings

I always thought that anything over the cost of the standard "fare" was passed on to the personnel concerned....hence the high mess bills at the end of the month. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:17:19 am »

WELL  Bryan I will take your word for it as I'm not sure  but all those lavish meals paid for by all the officers that attended

Naaa   no way  if so obviously paid far to much so loose the victory but kept them in champagne .

Seriously how can they even decided to hand over such a part of our History so what next the Maritine Museum

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 11:12:07 am »

This government can and does do exactly as it wants......Down to you lot to get rid of it, then maybe, just maybe some common sense may come back into the place.

Barry

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 12:00:16 pm »

I always thought that anything over the cost of the standard "fare" was passed on to the personnel concerned....hence the high mess bills at the end of the month. BY.

Correct Bryan
Officers pay for thier own food, as well as their uniform.
Only if the mess is very rich, do they get any kind of subsidy and that is from the mess treasury itself.
What they do get is the personell for free. I have lost many a free evening on mess duty.

Mess bills can easily top £10 000 per year in some Army units (I have no doubt that the Navy is the same). and in the Household regiments a young officers salary would not cover the mess bills.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »

"Apparently the Royal Navy is so hard up it is now considering giving the Victory to a charity or a business to own, maintain and run as a tourist attraction."

I know someone will correct me if I am wrong about this but isn't HMS Victory still a commissioned ship of the Royal Navy. How can the Royal Navy give a commissioned ship to a charity or Business?  ??? ??? ???

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer

farrow

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 09:43:30 pm »

With ref to Johno, they can always decommission her.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:18 pm »

With ref to Johno, they can always decommission her.
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.13645

HMS Victory will remain part of the Royal Navy. We will not be giving her away or decommissioning the ship. It is currently run by the Navy and retired Navy personnel show the public around the ship.

craftysod

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

I spent 12yrs in the RN there is so much wasteage that goes on and stuff that is made and kept in stores,which becomes redundant,and as for officers i wont go there

farrow

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:48:52 pm »

Perhaps the Pompey rag story did good pr job and blocked some ones hair brain scheme, but seriousily the MoD is acutely short of funds. The RN was always a parsinous outfit in its financial outlook, but now they are wearing through thier bare bones..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.