Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picco .60 or .67 exhaust manifold  (Read 5545 times)

Petepower

Picco .60 or .67 exhaust manifold
« on: September 24, 2008, 11:12:45 pm »

Having bought a Picco marine engine stated as being a .60 size off e-bay (although i wonder if it's a .67 - there are no indications at all relating to capacity anywhere on the engine!), i am now looking to find an exhaust manifold. Can anyone advise where to source one, or does anyone have one to sell?

Pete

ids987

Re: Picco .60 or .67 exhaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:24:11 pm »

Hi Pete,

From what I remember, your Picco is this case style. This photo is of a Picco 67 currently on eBay. From what I can remember, I have only seen this case style in .67 and .80 engines. I have one like yours which started life as a .80. They might have produced .60s and / or .65s and / or 80s with the same case though. Some of the Picco variants had .60, .65, .67 and .80 models with the same crankcase (Rossi did much the same. More recently, CMB 67s and 80s share the same crankcase). The fact that yours doesn't have a size stamped on it may mean something in itself. I have posted the question on another forum with a good base of historical Picco knowledge. The safest way to be sure of the size though, is to measure the bore and stroke - if you have something like digital calipers at your disposal.
I'll let you know what replies I get.
I may have a spare header knocking around. I will have a look when I get a chance.

Ian

Petepower

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:54:25 pm »

Hi Ian,
Many thanks for the detailed response! Managed to source a new CMB .67 header which just fits nicely, so i'm sorted now.
Can you advise whether or not these flexi drive shafts are designed to be simply cut to length (i presume they are), and is a hacksaw the best method of cutting if so?

Regards, Pete

omra85

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 07:23:24 pm »

Hi Pete
Whatever you do DON'T use a hacksaw - it will shread the end.  See
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13039.msg125259#new

Cheers
Danny

Petepower

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:05:27 am »

Great help Danny. Many thanks.
Any advice on sourcing sensibly sized radio boxes? The ones from Prestwich seem either too large or too small?

Pete

ids987

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:31:52 pm »

Pete,

You could try Jotika. They sell Aeromarine radio boxes. I think they come in about three sizes, and the ones I've seen are uniform depth (rather than deeper at the back) - which may or may not suit your application better. For the Makara which I'm currently building, I bought one of the largeish Prestwich boxes, but ended up turning it sideways - to get the rudder servo further to the right of the boat, and also so that it takes up less length (ultimately so that the fuel tank and engine can go a little bit further back).
Many make their own radio boxes - so that the shape and size are best suited to the boat. Thin ply is good. You can tack it together with superglue - then coat it with epoxy inside and out. This makes a strong box, and the epoxy should make the joins watertight - as well as sealing the grain. If you do make your own, try and get polycarbonate sheet for the lid - instead of acrylic (perspex). Polycarbonate is not quite so brittle.
I spoke to Ian (of Ian's boats) a while ago, and he said he'd sorted you out with a CMB header for the Picco. If you're still struggling to identify the engine, I remembered one clue that may help, but only if it's a Picco .80. The .80 has a recess cut across the top of the backplate - so that the piston doesn't foul the backplate at the bottom of the stroke. The smaller engines don't have this, as they are shorter stroke. If you take the backplate off to check this though, make sure the crankpin goes back into the right slot in the rotor disk - when you reassemble.
I also asked Ian if the old purple head CMB 45 CAM crank (like your broken one), has the same dimensions as the current CMB 45HR crank. He will try to find out.

Ian

Petepower

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 06:47:55 am »

Many thanks for that Ian,
Have sent my old CMB motor to Tony and MMS to see if he can repair (I believe he and Ian are main CMB engine importers for the UK).
Got my radio box sorted in the end, and the .67 manifold fitted perfectly, along with a new CMB .67 pipe. Only problem is, the pipe overhangs the transom by 30mm more than the rules allow, so need to find a way round this.

Many thanks for your helpful response.

Regards, Pete

BJ

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 05:37:40 pm »

Great help Danny. Many thanks.
Any advice on sourcing sensibly sized radio boxes? The ones from Prestwich seem either too large or too small?

Pete
Try your local Electrical Distributors  - see http://www.electrika.com/legranduk/ for a clear top sealed box for £12 (180x140x86)  - Weatherproof boxes IP 55

omra85

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 10:01:18 pm »

Unfortunately as your boat may, at some time, have the radio box at least partially submerged, you will need an IP67 rated enclosure.
The second digit is for water ingress (or exclusion in this case) where the "7" is for immersion down to one metre. A "5" is only slightly better than splashproof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
I have been trying to get a TOTALLY waterproof box for 30 years and am in the process of making another at the moment (I live in constant hope!!)
The ones used in the States are usually a flat outer flange type which is sealed with special waterproof tape before each run. (These are the type sold by John Wright (Jotika).
Some of the OMRA guys have used electrical boxes of various types but with limited success in most cases, although the seal can be improved by the use of silicone sealer (takes a long time to 'go off' though).
HTH
Danny

andyn

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:56:46 pm »

Bill Warder's seems pretty good but is only any good in boats with rails.

A metal Coleman camping mess tin with clamp down lid, with neoprene tape inside rim of lid and around rim of tin, these compress to form a waterproof seal.

Far as I know it hasnt let any water in in the several dunkings its had...

BJ

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 04:41:35 pm »

Unfortunately as your boat may, at some time, have the radio box at least partially submerged, you will need an IP67 rated enclosure.
The second digit is for water ingress (or exclusion in this case) where the "7" is for immersion down to one metre. A "5" is only slightly better than splashproof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
Danny

First of all - Sorry that my link did not take you to actual catalogue page
Referring to your link on second digit codes -  what about IP66 (#6 - "powerful water jets". Water projected in powerful jets against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.)
Back to LeGrand catl (035007 is typical product code):
class II 0 500 V
Conform to EN 60695-2-1
Material : polycarbonate - halogen free
Self-extinguishing 750 °C
Detachable clip-on cover retainer except for
310 x 240 and 360 x 270 mm boxes
Side mounts for IP 2X terminals provided except for
130 x 75 x 74 mm boxes
Sealable opaque cover with 1/4 turn fixings
Nominal internal dimensions :
Height x Width x Depth (mm)
 0350 07 130 x 75 x 74
 0350 13(1) 130 x 130 x 74
 0350 17(1) 155 x 110 x 74
 0350 22(1) 180 x 140 x 86
 0350 28(1) 220 x 170 x 86
 0350 33(2) 270 x 170 x 86
 0350 44(2) 310 x 240 x 124
 0350 47(2) 360 x 270 x 124

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 19 queries.