Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Follow me..  (Read 21906 times)

hama

Follow me..
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:35:58 pm »

..on a day at work!
The weather has been unreal this week, so I thought I'd share some views from my work. We start at the heart of Stockholm 8.30 in the morning. After four hours and some 45 stops along the way we arrive at the final destination for a two hour break before we return and do it all again in opposite direction. Ten hours after leaving Stockholm we are back at the same dock. Weekends are spent on another destination and after seven days of work I go home and play with my modelboats for seven days! I'm sure they will come up with a cure for this some day.
Hope you enjoy, and have a nice weekend!
Hama

hama

Re: Follow me..
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:39:01 pm »

Some more..

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:41:08 pm »

Have you any idea just how lucky you are?  :o
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:49:01 pm »

Hello! Hama,
Very nice pictures. Thank you for posting them. It would be interesting if you could tell us a little about M.S. Skaregarden - dimensions, where built, type/make of engines, speed and that sort of stuff.
Best Wishes
Douglas
(in Scotland)

hama

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:22:03 pm »

Hi guys!
Yes, been doing this since -95 and still love it, even though you miss the ocean sometimes. The work changes with the season and the weather, very challenging and interesting on a dark and stormy winter night as it's fantastic on days like this. Not to mention when you get to break ice, that is funny! As for the boat, her captains pride and joy. Been one of her two captains( the other one is my best friend and a member here as well ) for eight years now. She was built in -78, made of aluminum so she is in traffic from April to December. Owned by the city council. 35m x 7,5m. Draught 1,6m. Four main engines, Scania, about 300hp each, two aux engines, top speed 17knots, 296 passengers, gross tonnage 296, weigh about 115tons when stores, ballast and bunker onboard. Crew is captain, two AB´s and one in the cafeteria who also cook for us. If you are interested, the company that own the boat has a site, there you can see all the company boats and even some short films. It's possible to view the site in English I think.
Thanks for your interest, and please anybody who wants, feel free to show your work.
Hama

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:25:43 pm »

Any discount for forum members?  ;D
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

hama

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:46 pm »

Off course! Just show your mayhem badge when embarking!
Just realized I forgot the link to the company in my last post, so here it is www.waxholmsbolaget.se

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 10:45:14 pm »

What a wonderfull job you have I am so JEALOUS

Stavros

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 12:16:15 am »

Hello hama,

Great pictures and a very nice one of the "Viking Line" ferry!

Simon  8)

Garabaldy

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 12:44:17 am »

hama there are some stunning ships on that website.  Especially the storksar.

your lucky being in a job you enjoy so much too.

David_S

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 05:09:06 am »

Looks like a great way to see the coastline around the islands there. My only experiences of Stockholm involve leaving the overnight ferry from Turku and driving straight into the morning rush-hour traffic! One day we'll have to stop and look around the city.

hama

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 02:34:08 pm »

Hello again!
Just to show that not every day is clear skies and calm seas, last week at work we had some typical autumn weather. On sunday we had a gale with around 20 m/s mean wind( busy day for the sea rescue ) followed by fog on Monday - Wednesday mornings. I hope there will be some ice here this winter to show you.
All the best!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 10:35:40 am »

This week it was time for scheduled drydocking, it's been 2 1/2 years since last time. Surveyors from the administration do their check. Some of the shaft bearings in the shaft supports will be replaced, one of the rudder bearings is replaced, bottom and hull sides will be painted, some touch up painting to the rest of the boat as well along with many other small things. I am always amazed of the hull lines when I see her on land, she was fitted with "sponsoons" 10-11 years ago to increase stability. The hull is a modellers nightmare I think. On the bow you can see the fender that is attached to a rather genius "ramp arrangement", a part of the bow and the deck/gangway is hoistable. When you land/dock to a landingpier/quay you put the ramp in level with the quayside for easy embarkation, it is controlled with pedals by the captain.
Hama

chingdevil

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:45:31 am »

Hama

I can not believe you call that work, I have been to Sweden a few times in my youth and I never get over the stunning beauty of the place. Thinking of visiting Stockholm next year,  now I have seen these photos need to work a bit harder on SWMBO.

Brian

hama

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 08:08:05 pm »

You're absolutely right there chingdevil, it's probably more of a way of living. And speaking of beautiful sceneries, I sit over here and watch a fantastic tv-series about the coast of the British isles. Don't know the English name of it but it surely makes you want to go there! Perhaps ironic in a way?
Hama.

craftysod

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 08:26:56 pm »

Sweden/Norway are lovely places would recommend everyone to take a trip out there,people are so friendly

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 10:45:57 pm »

You're absolutely right there chingdevil, it's probably more of a way of living. And speaking of beautiful sceneries, I sit over here and watch a fantastic tv-series about the coast of the British isles. Don't know the English name of it but it surely makes you want to go there! Perhaps ironic in a way?
Hama.

It's called "Coast" and has had two series here and several repeats but always worth a watch. It has inspired my current project after watching the episode in the Shetlands.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:49:02 pm »

Hama, in April last year we did a trip out to Vaxholm on the Soderarm - a sister ship? The trip is thouroughly recommended - the second thing to do in Stockholm after the Vasa museum. I was amazed at how manoeuverable she was - some people got off at one of the islands and we were just getting under way again when someone realised they'd missed their stop - the captain spun her round again and let him off. I think from the set of drawings on board she had twin-ended power pods rotating through 360 deg at the stern. I guess its a tough job but someone's got to do it, eh?

hama

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 10:03:04 am »

Doug, "Coast" is always worth a watch but somehow I always seem to miss parts of the program. Should try and get it on DVD.  :-))
Tobyker, great to hear that you did a trip to my hometown Vaxholm! The "Söderarm" that you travelled with is one of three sisters, they are the biggest and newest ones in the company. As you say she is fitted with twin schottels in the stern, first ones in this company, and it took some time for their captains to learn this new technique. However, as you say, they are very good at handling these boats now and everybody who works on them love them. I haven't had the pleasure of trying them yet, the plan is that I shall learn these boats later this fall or coming winter. I'm looking forward to it with both enthusiasm and horror! I guess you Tito Neri guys here would do a much better first attempt than I will perform! I have for some years worked extra on car ferries with schottels, but they have one schottel in each end so there is a risk of me making the wrong maneuvers!  :embarrassed:  In a little more than a year from now there will be two more boats delivered, similar design to these three but smaller.
Hama.

hama

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 08:37:26 pm »

Did a nightshift on the state roadferry this night, 17.30 - 05.30. I sometimes work there when I'm off my own work. Thought it might interest some of you Tito Neri guys as she is fitted with two Schottels so I took some pics of controls and indicators. If you haven't seen one before, you turn the "wheel" to rotate the pod 360 deg and the lever on the wheel controls the throttle/prop rev. On this ferry the props rotates all the time, but you can have clutch control in the lever as when you pull the lever to it's highest position the prop stops. Shes a double ender so there is one pod in each end. One way trip is 5 min. Many, many trips on a 12h shift.
Hama.

hama

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 12:13:57 am »

I keep on reporting from my "real" work. The boat I work on is laid up for the winter and will be back in service at the end of March, beginning of April so I will have to "drive" some other boats in the meantime. This winter some major work is carried out on m/s Skärgården. All six engines have been lifted ashore. There will be two new aux engines and the mainengines are being overhauled to almost as new. There will be many other things to be fixed as well. This is what the engineroom looked like today.
Merry Christmas to you all!
Hama.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 04:46:56 am »

Have you snow and bad weather yet Hama

A few pictures of reindeer would add to the festive spirits  {-)

A merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Sweden, from a Brit in China
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

hama

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 02:28:35 pm »

Hi there tigertiger!
I'll see if I can chase away the polarbears to get out and take some pictures of the reindeers for you.  :-)) As for the weather, rain, +4C, dark, muddy and miserable.  {:-{ Luckily Santa's reindeers can fly cause there ain't no snow for their sleighride!
All the best to you in China!
Hama.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 12:52:41 am »

Happy Christmas hama - this thread is a very pleasant reminder of our short holiday in Stockholm - hope we can get back soon and see more of the Archipelago. Is the car ferry the one that sails out of Vaxholm?

hama

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 11:23:01 pm »

Hi tobyker!
Yes, thats right. You've seen it so you know it ain't a beauty but quiet efficient. 83m long, about 60cars and manned by captain and engineer. From the bridge one man can run the whole ferry, if everything works that is, start/stop of engines, load cars by means of trafficlights, even the mooring is controlled from the bridge. But the coffeemachine is manual, and one step down in the messroom!
All the best!
Hama.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.