Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Follow me..  (Read 21899 times)

Jerome Morris

Re: Follow me..
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 05:45:34 pm »

Hama, The pictures of the boat on the railway have given me a reason to ask. This vessel has sailed for 2 1/2 years and there is no marine growth? I do see the zincs need replacing ,but no marine growth? Amazing! You are sailing in salt water?
 Anyway, Very nice scenery up there.

amdaylight

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

Several things might be going on in regards to bottom fouling, First is I Think that they are in the Baltic Sea which due to its composition supports far less marine organisms than other body's of water. Case in point is how well the Vasa was when they recovered her. Second the vessel may be sending part of her time in fresh water that will also kill off the bottom growth. Third Bottom paints have gotten much better and boat owners regularly scrub the bottom of their vessels so they don't have to haul out as often. When I owned my own sail boat I would scrub the bottom once a month, granted I had a racing sail boat so every thing we could do to get the most speed out of the boat we would do.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

hama

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 02:08:10 pm »

Hi there Jerome Morris and Andre!
Thanks for your interest! As for the marine growth. m/s Skärgården has her night berth in Stockholm most of the year and thats where the lake Mälaren runs out into the Baltic so it's pretty much freshwater. On the pictures she's been washed with high pressure waterwash prior to bottompainting, but there is very little growth of course compared to saltwater vessels. Hope this explains some of your thoughts.
Happy new year to you!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 02:21:31 pm »

Have just spent a few days on another boat, m/s Vånö, one of five sisters built in the beginning of the -90´s. She has three MAN engines and a topspeed of 22 knots and as I'm used to 17 knots on "my" boat it feels like driving a fighterjet, almost.  {-)  The second pic is of m/s Ramsö, one of three sisters from the -60´s. One of them was taken out of service last year and the other two will probably meet the same destiny when the two newbuildings arrives in about a year. I have the drawings of this one and sometimes think of making a model of her as I have been working on them as well. The last pic is of the "ugly" ferry I told you about earlier in the thread.
All the best!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 09:34:20 pm »

I started this thread with some "unreal" weather, well I think it was unreal again the other morning. Clear sky, -5C and a very intense sun. 4-5cm clear ice covered the water, it was so beautiful, I wish you could have been there. The boat this time was the Waxholm 1, one of two sisters built in -83. She looks quite funny but is a joy to drive and work on. She is built for ice conditions with twin CP-props and a bowthruster. The two 16 litres Volvo engines give about 1200hp and 12,5 knots.

hama

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 09:41:29 pm »

The boat from Stockholm arrives, some passengers have to change boat for their destination. What looks like calm water in the last picture is actually ice, the sound when we broke it was very beautiful as was the look of all the pieces of ice flying away.
Hope you enjoy!
Hama.

Damien

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:44 pm »

Absolutely stunning, Hama please keep the story and pic's coming a delight to read. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Damien

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 12:14:43 am »

When I ride up the coast road from Saltcoats to Greenock, I think I'm lucky to live here, but you Hama are truly blessed. I can't bear it - I'll have to come back soon.

hama

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 08:54:49 am »

Thank you guys!
It is, sometimes, a beautiful world we live in. I'm more than happy to keep this thread alive when I have something interesting to show you. And now I even know how to post movies!
Best regards!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 04:12:04 pm »

Hello again!
Now I've started my education on the "new" boats. Been on m/s Sandhamn on two occasions practicing, my brother was the captain so I thought I could terrorize him a bit. Very funny to drive once the first horror has settled, totally new technique for me with two pods in the stern. The first one, m/s Söderarm has Schottel and the following two has Steerprop from Finland. Very maneuverable as you can imagine, spins on the spot. This must be like the Tito Neri! Will take some time to become good at this as they are also a lot bigger in all aspects compared to the other boats in the company. Tomorrow I will probably terrorize the captain on the sister m/s Dalarö! Show some pictures taken with my new camera, first one is of me paralyzed at the controls, second one is the controls on starboard wing, third is from entering Sandhamn harbour where the boat got her name from, the fourth is of my brothers stiff arm as he holds his cellphone between his shoulder and ear.
All the best!
Hama.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 02:01:46 am »

Hama
You are making us envious again :embarrassed: ok2 :}
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

hama

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 02:29:52 pm »

Hi again. Just came home from another week at work. Winter made a last attempt at our country, 1 - 2 dm snow fell during Monday Tuesday last week. Very beautiful but kind of unnecessary as it's all gone now. This time I worked on a boat called "Vindöga". She and her sister where built in -78. A little bit like a tugboat with one big CP-propeller and a bowthruster, not as many horsepowers as a tug though! They where rebuilt in -00 with a new passenger salon on the upper deck among other things. They didn't do anything to the impressive funnel though! One funny thing about these boats is that I built a model of the sister "Solöga" in -92, three years before I started working as a captain on these boats. So I had some practice on the model before I handled the big one. The last picture you can watch either way!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 04:34:46 pm »

A friend took this picture of me on monday morning, 1h from Stockholm and 3h left to the destination.
Hama.

hama

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 01:12:07 pm »

Hello again!
First of all, I have a new computer and haven't tried the photo part yet so this will be a test to see if I can post images. Cross my fingers.
This Thursday I did my last day on my old vessel, m/s Skärgården. I've spent 10 years on her and now I got an opportunity to shift to the vessel m/s Dalarö instead. I'm really looking forward to this as she is a very nice boat. Lets hope there will be some ice this winter! A couple of weeks ago she was on the slipway not far from where I live so went there and had a chat with my new shipmates and took some pictures. She looks quite big on land. She was built in 2005, has four mainengines coupled to two Steerprop thrusters. There is also a bowthruster.
All th best.
Hama

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 11:39:22 pm »

Hi Hama,

What a wonderful job you have!

Curious to know, on your companie's website it lists the Norskar as being a steamer, being 1910 built it's likely she was steam powered when built, but is she still or is she diesel now?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

hama

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 12:22:56 pm »

Hi there Greg!
Yes, Norrskär and Storskär are steamers. Steam engines are original but the boilers have been replaced during the years and they are both fired by diesel burners since the -70´s I think. By the way, Norrskär means Northern skerries and Storskär Great skerries. ( more or less )
And thanks for reminding me, it is a great job, playing with boats all day long!
All the best!
Hama

hama

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 03:34:09 pm »

Hi again!
Found these pictures on a site called www.skargardsbatar.se, this is what I'm hoping for this winter! They were taken during the winter -85 according to the site. Some of you might recognize the place from the first page of this thread where I took some pictures in a lot warmer situation. Don't you love the shapes of this 60´s built boat, they don't look like that anymore. Hope you enjoy, have a nice weekend!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 09:00:59 pm »

Ok, winter is here. Lots of snow fell before christmas and this week we´ve had -10 to -20C so the ice builds up. Some pictures from work.
-Discharging cargo for christmas holiday on the island Möja.
-Just before departure 06.45 from Husarö on christmas morning.
-Lots of snow in the city of Vaxholm.

hama

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 09:06:05 pm »

-Ice is beginning to form.
-The mist can be very dense at times when the water is still open.
-Ice!
-I destroy the beautiful landscape and make a nice pattern.

hama

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »

-Most of the time it's dark of course, so you just stare at the beams from the searchlights to try to follow the icepath.
-Here we are loading at Möja before an 16.00 departure towards the mainland.
-A pic of the lifeboat we share berth with every night at Möja.

hama

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 09:15:27 pm »

Lastly a few pics from this morning trip 06.25 from Möja arriving at Vaxholm 09.40 where I got revealed.
The last pic is of the helicopter serving some of the islands that don't have boat traffic during the winter.
Have a nice weekend!
Hama

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 09:54:58 pm »

{-) And we complain when we get a couple of inches of snow in UK!!!

Keep posting your updates- your a lucky guy, a satisfying job and a beautiful place to work.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

hama

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:32 pm »

Thanks Greg, I´ll get back later on.
Hama

hama

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 03:52:36 pm »

Hey, look what I found when I came to work this week!
Honestly, it wasn't my idea but I totally supported it. The owners where contacted and they kindly let go of one of the models they have in the headquarters and found it's new home in the cafeteria on m/s Dalarö. Wish I had one at home, but I guess I have to build it myself then.
Have a nice weekend!
Hama.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42:16 pm »

Hi Hama,

Great pictures.... and first time I've seen this thread?!?!?!?   {:-{

1. Do you tie up at the small docks?

2. The Wooden steer wheel in this picture, is it functional or just for show?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.