Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: OH NO Another Slo-Mo  (Read 45899 times)

steamboatbob

Re: OH NO Another Slo-Mo
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 07:15:03 am »

now that i think i have done enough with the resining of the bottom and the placement of the hardware i am going back to the fun job of planking

WOOHOO

as you can see in this picture i have started on the side this is so the top planking will go on flat after i have sanded back this plank to the frame level but when planking with pva glue, it takes it's time so i will show you guys in a few days what she looks like the planks that billings have supplied with the boat are not that good i have seen a lot better but i am going on with it in this way so i can show people that you can build this kit from billings with the parts that are supplied with a few minor changes as their instructions i believe are completely wrong and have been thaught up by someone that really wanted to go on holidays before they were printed. as you guys can see i have gone about this build in my own way as the billings kit way will make a great display model but be kinda useless in the water.

a person that purchased this kit needs to know a lot about modelling and billings rates it as a intermediate build which i do agree upon.

i now am thinking i should have forked out the extra dosh and gone for the AMATI kit ARNO FERRARI RACER but its a little late for that now

steamboatbob

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 05:15:28 am »

The model makers Nightmare

: toddlers playing with daddy's toys  >>:-(

I can only laugh at this in hindsight i thaught my two year old daughter was being a little quiet so i went to investigate and there she is playing with dads new slo-mo i found bits of planking all over the place and still am finding them but she managed to tear off the planking down one side of the rear of the hull (daddy is not impressed) but these things do happen but made me realise that i had not sanded the frames down the sides of the hull before gluing so back to square one again  :-)

and when she looked at my and smiled and said "MY Boat Daddy" %)  I realised that a lock needs to go onto my study door  O0

steamboatbob

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 02:54:43 pm »

ok back into the serious side of things now

PLANKING

Groan

this is the side that has been redone with the otherside still to be worked on working from the base of the boat i found it a lot easier as i did not have to follow a main curve and steaming or waterlogging the planks was not nessesary and ony one small filling wedge to placed on the rear to make it look good and keep the lines flowing nicely.

mind you as i am not using superglue this is taking its time i actually got to sit down all day and watch motorsport and only planked one side, but time will tell and i will be coating the inside of the sides with resin as well as i still can get at them but the outside will stay slear of the resin as i think the resin will soak all the way through the veneer and help bond it to the planks.

Has anyone had any good results by using contact glues with the veneers or would this be a waste of my time??? as i use it at work and have and endless supply on hand but i would like to hear from others and their point of view first

Cheers guys

Steamboatbob

Hagar

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 09:03:53 pm »

Looking good Steamboat.
Those little red things you hold your planks with, Where do you get those? Looks like a good thing to have in the toolbox!

Quite understand about the Arno too. Might just be my next kit, but got a couple of plans sitting here staring at me, so many choices so little time (read money!!  %) )

steamboatbob

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 08:42:42 am »

here is a link hagar to where you can get the clamps mate and they are a godsend to use, you just mark out where the plank is going on the hull and drill a 1.0-1.2mm hole and they screw in i cannot recomend them enough

http://www.plankonframe.com/page2.htm

you just have to be weary on a narrow frame or when you get close to an edge as it can split the frame quite easily

Hagar

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 06:35:33 pm »

Thanks for the link Bob, I might just get me some of those for the next project. Might be a bit easier than all those bl**y spring clamps.
Have you seen my little Debut?

steamboatbob

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 05:56:58 am »

Ok Guys here is the latest photo

only had enough time to do a little planking atm so i am taking my time and trying to do this correct

but here is the updated photo

steamboatbob

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 02:37:33 am »

Ok next on the list

since i will not be able to get into the front of the boat after i have planked the top of it i decided that now is the time to shove some foam down there i just went down to the local rubber and foam suppliers and got them to cut me a block of scrap polystyrene at 67mm thickness (this is the distance between all of the frames). at a huge cost of $5 just for the cutting and as it was scrap there was no charge for the foam.

i thaught about getting a hotwire cutter to get a nice smooth surface and a neat job but lets face it i am a person that will not buy something unless i really need it  {-) {-) {-) %% %% please note the huge amount of sarcasm, also the wifes bread cutting knife does a very good but very messy job.

the foam will pretty much hold itself into place so i do not need to glue it down except for one place in the right hand sponson i used a small bit of araldite (5 min epoxy) as this wont melt the foam if you guys attempt this please check these things as removing melted foam is a messy smelly job.

this was the finished product and now i can plank over it and not have to worry about that sinking feeling in the middle of the lake

the other thing of note that has been done was getting resin on the inside of the sides of the boat. Very messy and very tight but it definately needs to be done to make the job a little more waterproof and a bit stronger

steamboatbob

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 05:23:50 am »

OK while i was planking i had a thaught about the top of the boat when it gets planked the ply used on the sides of the sponsons is around 1 mm thick so i decided to reinforce this section so i don't get any mishaps when i am extending the planking down the sides, this will give me a larger surface area for the planks to glue down onto and a bit more strength just in case i hit a nice turning buoy i just used some scrap planks that were left over i am using epoxy to put these in and have keyed the surface with a bit of rough sandpaper i just want to bring this 1mm area up to around 4mm thick this will not change the weight of the unit too much so i am not worried and sooner or later i will have to work out my centre of gravity which unfortunately is not shown in the instructions but i will aim for around 1-2inches behind the rear of the sponsons.

i am just using spring clamps to hold the strips in place and will be putting them on 1 at a time to make things easier

I am fairly happy with this build so far but Billings could have done a lot more to make things easier
examples
1. more accurate cutting as you can see with most builds from the billings kit. Lots of wood needs to be added or taken away to make the model be in the correct shape
2. this is supposed to be a scale model i honestly wish they went to the museum where it was housed or got a copy of the bluprints as it seems that they have guessed alot of the distances.
3. more helpful instructions would have been helpful as the directions they have given crap if you wish to put the boat into the water. like the way they want you to put the top on first the need to brace the building slip so the model does not bend, getting detailed written instructions to go hand in hand with the various pictoral instructions would be a massive help and solve most of their problems.

this is my whinge sofar but i have not started with the plastic gear as yet.   

steamboatbob

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 11:09:05 am »

Oh the joys of planking

i dont know if there is a more mundane task but i am getting there, it reminds me of my build the bismarck but that was double planking and oh so much fun ( I had to stop that build to do this one)

steamboatbob

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 09:18:38 am »

OK guys here is a little update and lesson for the newer guys

this image was taken a week ago but i am now into the process of shaping the planks so they fit a little better. I am still getting there though

Now the tools you need are few
1 cutting mat (unless you want to ruin the wife's dining table :})
2 SHARP Stanley knife
3 small modelers plane or violin plane
4 ruler
5 pencil

now the process is quite simple

1 put the plank down on the model to test fit it and mark with your pencil where the planks start to overlap
2 if the plank completely overlaps the glued down plank then mark out where it finishes
3 using the ruler and pencil draw a straight line between the two marks on the plank

4 use your Stanley knife to cut 3-4mm away from the pencil line pressing down lightly (REMEMBER if you press down hard on the first run with the Stanley knife it will follow the grain of the wood rather than the mark of the pencil.)
5 use your modelers plane to take off the final amount of wood down to the pencil line also if you take it off at a slight angle towards the frame it will be a tighter fit

6 test fit the tapered piece again
7 glue it up

any dramas give me a pm or post a question here

steamboatbob

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 08:45:17 am »

just to let you guys know i am still working on my boat but I'm getting a lot of overtime at work atm in the lead up to Christmas so i wont be able to post much as i have not done very much since my last post, but i have a photo here for you guys to show how little i have done

On Rh side I have planked over to the edge of the rear of the boat I now need to do the same to the other side

Oh well have fun and i hope to post a little more in the next few weeks

steamboatbob

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:52 am »

Hi guys

Finally i get some time to work on my boat

i really hate this time of year with a passion, but anyhow back to the build

i have completely covered the top on the Left hand side and have a little to do on the right and then its back to the resin pot

as you can see the planks only needed a little trimming to get them to fit nicely with only two planks on either side needing major modification to get them to fit

anyhow back to the planking

until next time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 12:14:46 pm »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 12:34:44 pm »

Enjoying your build :-))

steamboatbob

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 01:22:23 pm »

well thanx guys

but as they say slow and steady wins the race

or builds a good boat lol

I really should one day get back into building my Bismarck from hatchette, but im letting the parts accumulate before i go further on that one. It was doing my head in at the time i got my slomo %%. what happened to yours martin???

more pics will come soon i got hollidays lined up over christmas
3 weeks of pure boat building bliss

well unless my micro magic racing yacht comes in  :}

steamboatbob

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 09:21:31 am »

Hi again guys

here I thought a little explanation was needed for the less experienced builder.
All of these planks down the sides are trimmed to fit using my violin plane (the little black thing next to my vice drill. ;) ). and are placed on as usual using my planking clamps. now all of the planks i put a small chamfer on the bottom of the trimmed edge just to help out with the fitting of the planks and stop me mangling the planks already in place when i scrape the excess dry glue off.

at the front of the planks i have left them long so i can use a spring clamp to keep them held down on the lower edge, even though i have bulked up the edge the clamps have nowhere to bite into and i do not trust elastic bands on this type of edge and the glue I'm using Will not go off for 30 Min's so it does need to be secured down to get a nice edge on the finished product.

please pay a lot of attention to this edge as a lot of force will be put on here during trials and god help you if you hit a bouy as this is the area that will be destroyed first by those rogue buoys. O0

anyhow just going a little off topic here is a photo of my kyosho wave master ( i really want to get rid of this as has been no end of trouble ) 2 Min's in the water and then 15 onshore to get the setup right  %) but it still runs well and I'm not anywhere near racing class with it and it is a lot of fun.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY BEAST IN THE WATER

at least the slomo will look better than the wave master also I'm thinking about getting a different motor as i think the 5070kv motor will kill it i might have to settle for a 3000 kv one instead

steamboatbob

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 07:27:32 am »

WOOHOO I'VE FINISHED PLANKING

oh S*** i still got the mahogany to do

oh well

anyhow next stage is now in progress

which will be sanding, sanding, and more sanding

You may see the line down the middle of the boat this is mostly for the veneer strips but also i will use this to centre my cutout.

using a rough grit around the 180 mark and a cork block i will sand down the planks to get rid of high marks and so i don't have to weigh the boat down with masses of ugly sanding filler

i am using my eye to find the major spots when i believe that it is flat i will use my trusty cabinet scraper to get that nice curve happening. When using a cabinet scraper you must always go with the grain as it can tear out chunks of wood if you are not careful !!!  O0 trust me on this one.

after this has been done i will put a few light coats of resin on that is thinned down so that this section is nice and solid after that there is a hole to cut out of the top and sigh more planking to be done but i will be doing the second layer with contact glue as this will be easier and the contact glue will stick to the resin quite well and then a further couple of coats of resin and colour should do the trick. 

happy boating

BOB

steamboatbob

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 01:41:57 am »

hi guys

I have gone on a little detour on my previous plans and gone ahead with the planking down the sides so here it is

in this pic you will see that i have marked down the whole side in graduations the approximate edge stripping
this was done using a cheap protractor i found in the newsagents marking out 30 degrees from the top corner and then drawing parallel lines down the whole side from there.

before i did this i sanded the absolute buggery out of the side and used my scraper to get it dead flat and then used a straight edge to check, it's kind of like building a house if the foundation is not level or has bumps and lumps then this will show through when the resin coat goes on. i then used a small amount of 2 part builders putty ( this sets hard as a rock and is not easily sanded but is very easy to use ). I put this down the side and made it with a small amount of hardener to get a long working time and then using the cabinet scraper i took off the excess. then its a short wait for drying  %)

after drying a light sand with 180 grit paper and 240 paper to get a nice working surface, then its marking out each piece of veneer cutting to size i cut mine a little over size and then gluing down using a slow setting CA glue using the lines drawn previously as a guide. The rear section was a little problematic with the curved section i achieved this by putting the veneer down on the edge and scoring a straight line along the curve this cracks the fibres of the veneer allowing you to push it around tight corners if you guys want i will show you how when i do the next side so please tell me if you want a step by step guide on this.  ok2

I am not worried about the score lines that i have put in the veneer as i can get a coloured sanding putty the same colour to fill in the holes and gaps  :-)) and then resin over the top of them

and here is the finished product on the side i have done

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2008, 11:17:42 am »

This is coming along really nicely, Steamboat. :-))
It's interesting to see how a more experienced modeller has treated the Billings kit - fitting the bottom first, filling the front with polistyrene, strengthening the framework in the bow, etc.  All these are things I could've done to my model had I the experience.
I'll be following your build with real interest, keep up the good work!
Orby.

steamboatbob

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 12:58:38 pm »

Thanks orby

i have to say though i cannot take all the credit though i have got alot of my info on from the many build threads out in the internet world i have subscriptions to around 7-8 different forums and each has at least one type of slo-mo weather it be a scratch built one which is the most common or the kit version but i must say doing the kit version is a lot more difficult if you try to do it in the way that billings tell you to do it there are some very good build threads on the rum runners forum and other things i have picked up like the hatch cover was an amalgamation of a few projects of mine that i have done in the past.

anyhow here is the update. veneer has been applied to both sides of the boat so i can give a little play to the hatch i decided that the hatch needed to have more access at the rear of the boat for access to servos and rudder bolts and such, as you can see i have cut the hatch to within 25 mm of the aft of the boat this was done using a very sharp Stanley knife and a metal rule doing lots of cuts very lightly and cutting through the frames with my dremel.

i then added supports to the underside of the planking so the hatch can rest on top of them i will figure a way of fastening them at a later date. now since i have made the hatch larger here are the main reasons why.

Reasons for larger hatch

1. ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS - i cannot believe that billings wants you to throw in a servo inside a boat with no hope of getting to it at a latter stage (especially one as important as the rudder servo )  >>:-(
2. i got big hands, like many of us and fiddling around with the guts of a boat is not fun :embarrassed:
3. increases the usable area for internals so ballasting the boat will be easier

Reasons for having smaller hatch

1. the designer wanted to go home early  :}

also i am not going to create a hole for the driver to sit on rather i will cut the seat off at the required height and the driver so it has the illusion that he is there and it creates less weight for the boat and no bloody big hole for water to get in i will just paint this area where the hole is supposed to go black.
i am going to attach the big red fin at the back to the access hatch just fur the ease of it i think it would be a pain in the posterior any other way oh yeah the stuff on the fin was the newspaper that blew over onto the fin after i had just painted it  >>:-(

minnjoe

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 03:00:52 am »

I'm in the process of building the Billings Slo-mo-shun IV also.  Here's some suggestions that you may find helpful:  Be sure to coat the inside with "penetrating" epoxy, change the angle on the sponsons (even with your power setup it will not get up on a plane), use medium CA with kicker on the first planking making sure to apply CA to the side as well as the ribs, when you cover the boat with the mahogany planks use contact cement, use a plank vise to trim the planks to make the curve on the deck, cover the deck with one or two oz fiberglass cloth and make sure that the glue you have used is not water soluble.

If you choose to use contact cement, coat the deck and plank, let both set for 30 seconds then put in place.  Make sure it is in the right place because you cannot move it.  Remove all excess cement.

Here's a picture of my boat with it's first coat of polyurethane, the modification I made to the sponsons and my Doug Campbell classic shovel nose hydro that goes about 50 mph. 

steamboatbob

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2008, 11:22:52 pm »

thanks for the input i had wondered about the sponsons as they are very shallow and have big plans in the next few weeks to get some building done but as it is the crazy time of year i dont think i will get to building for a few weeks (well that and im putting together a racing micro magic together for myself for those windy days down at the lake) :}

Merry christmas all and see you in the new year

steamboatbob

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 08:26:26 am »

just letting you guys know i haven't forgot about yas

just working my way slowly into the new year and i will start building again very shortly in the next week or so and more photos and updates will continue

srry bout the time taken

cheers guys

BOB

Plankowner

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 06:45:30 pm »

Nice build. :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 23 queries.