Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: OH NO Another Slo-Mo  (Read 45894 times)

steamboatbob

Re: OH NO Another Slo-Mo
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2009, 03:06:59 am »

Hi guys just a quick update

just sanded the whole boat down with a little 1200 wet dry and am going to spray on the last final coat as soon as it warms up a little more and as i have a long weekend, the hardware should be getting installed by monday, and with a little luck a video might be posted. :-))

the only things left to do
-install hardware
-start the hatch cowling ( yeah i did leave it a little long)
-go down the lake and have a blast :D

ronkh

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2009, 06:28:54 am »

Looking forward to the video after all this time, it has been an interesting build. Well done Bob.

Ron.

steamboatbob

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2009, 10:36:32 am »

well alls well that ends well

if it ends  :embarrassed:

went down this arvo to give it a test drive so before i went i put the Slomo into the bath and did all the necessary water checks and the rest of that guff. went down the lake and it was gorgeous to look at no wind and a nice calm lake, springer on hand for any drastic problems. first run i realised the centre of gravity was way too far back so in she came made a few little adjustments, back out into the water still the same problem so in she came again and i moved the battery forward as far as possible at this stage i noticed a little bit of heat comming from the esc, but motor and battery are still cool, so i thought no i will wait a few minutes till it cools down . So 5 mins later and there is no heat at all i taped her up and gave the throttle a test and it was dead :o I tried all manner of things to get it going but to no avail and then i decided to pack it in and come home,

I was smelling a burning smell in the car on the way back so i opened the esc up when i got home and it was totally fried so unfortunately guys there is no video atm but i do have a burnt out esc if there are any takers supposedly rated at 100Amps but anyhow back to the drawing board and a new esc

Cheers guys

andyn

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2009, 05:12:13 pm »

Your voltage regulator appears to have released its smoke... O0

steamboatbob

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »

not much done since last week im sorry to say i was a little peeved at the esc letting go but these things do happen now im wondering if lipos are the way to go or get a new esc as they are around the same price

as i need a lipo pack that can handle a 90 amp current draw or an esc that wont die

ill be back to building as soon as the boss releases some funding  O0

steamboatbob

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2009, 03:22:10 pm »

Went down to the lake today with the camera and an esc that actually works
here is the video, there will be more to come as I have now put a different motor in the boat with hopefully more output.

thie footage was taken down at my local lake in Perth.

Cheers Guys

steamboatbob

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2009, 05:09:27 am »

The Brushless motor is now in and running

Ill get a video out as soon as i can  :}

ronkh

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2009, 08:24:02 am »

:-))

steamboatbob

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2009, 11:10:48 am »

I must admit that the quality of that video is pretty crap and im trying to find another hosting site for HD Vids

steamboatbob

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2009, 01:02:22 pm »

Here is the link to a better quality video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrvnXHFLbCY

please post comments as to get more speed

cheers guys

steamboatbob

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2009, 10:16:27 am »

Ok guys here is a vid of my slomo running a Feiago 5070 KV motor at 25% capacity (the esc has a programing function that lets me select 25,50,75 or 100% of the power output)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNQ7iMo7eYw

also a bit more work on the hatch has been done

:-))

steamboatbob

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2009, 03:47:41 pm »

Oh yeah i forgot to say it's running on 7.2 volt nimh here will be put up to either 11 or 14v lipo but i havent decided yet

fully water cooled will post photos soon on interrior and setup soon

steamboatbob

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2009, 05:13:54 pm »

I have finally started on a little more of the aesthetics on the boat namely the hatch cover and have finally decided that i will just use hatch tape and not worry with the hatch locks as that will make the boat a little bit of a mess.

I used a thin sheet of styrene cut to fit the hatch and dug out the rear fin from my (Here's one i produced earlier bin) attached it with some very small pan head screws and a bit of araldite. i have sanded down the whole length of styrene sheet first with 180 grit to rough it up a little as there will be a lot more work to go on here.

Next I got some of the good old mahogany strips and glued them onto the styrene i used UHU strong and safe to do this bit as there is no instant bond (you have around 30 secs to play with and it is also a gel form so it is a lot easier to clean up and your fingers don't bond straight away. it also slightly melts the styrene so be careful when you do use it.

now in the photo below you will see that from the front of the fin and mahogany will be painted matt black as soon as i can get some better weather as my shed is to cold to spray atm and the wife get's a little shirty when i use paint inside >>:-(

and the second photo shows where the engine cowling will sit and the driver as well

steamboatbob

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2009, 05:25:18 pm »

And here is the current arrangement of the internal hardware

As you can see I have put the 5070KV motor in as well as a maxpower 100Amp esc which unfortunately does not have a BEC so batteries are in order for the receiver.

I took my beastie out to the lake today for a quick trial and WoW she goes really quick but due to the 7.2 nicads the thrill did not last very long and i am still working out a few bugs in the system for programming the esc like cutoffs but i have now placed an order in for some 14.4 V lipo's and cant wait for them to turn up  :-))

only bad thing to report from today was the veneer tearing from the new hatch but that will be sorted after a coat of epoxy and clear topcoat so no real probs.

Anyhow guys have fun and i shall see ya soon hopefully with a new vid for you all

Steamboatbob

steamboatbob

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2009, 03:24:18 pm »

no real news at the moment just getting ready to put the slomo up on to the finished shelf and start working back on the bismarck (you remember that one dont you martin  :D  )i was just using my slomo to get more parts in till i could have a full time building spree with my big german battleship and with only 35 issues to go i dont think i will have any probs.

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2009, 08:44:49 pm »

Coincidence.
When I finished my Slo-mo-shun I started on a Bismarck, the difference is that mine is on a Fleetscale hull,  just about finished that, 
and I am now about half way through a HDML.
Already thinking of where to go next.

Colin
Colin

steamboatbob

« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2009, 11:48:37 am »

Hi guys srry for the long wait between drinks but some good and bad news is here

Bad news first

the veneer on my hatch is peeling off the plastic and i have tried various forms of CA glue but to no avail I even keyed it quite heavily first and epoxied after to get that nice finish I really need some help in this department as the veneer peels off after a few hits with water. {:-{

Good news

Joy of joys !!!!! I went down to my local hobby shop and there in a little box was my beloved 14.4 V Lipo Pack 5000mah and rated at 25C constant drain and 30C burst So basically a battery that can handle 125Amp constant current draw and 150 Amp Burst Current Draw  :D :D :D

Oh I cant wait to get to the water and scare the ducks

and the local hobby shop owner has advised that I can borrow his speed radar gun he uses to test his cars  :D :D :D

brodjack

« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2009, 04:08:36 pm »

Bob,if your motor is a genuine 5074 KV one,using a 4S ,14.8V lipo.The esc and motor are gunna burn real quick,its just too many vollts for the motor.
that motor is a 2S max.
rpm's are going to be roughly 70000! yikes..more than twice the norm..
With a 4S lipo you want a motor with a KV of about 2000-2500.There would be much more torque.
Brod..

steamboatbob

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2009, 01:37:42 pm »

I have to say i really dont agree with you there brodjack having already tested with a 7.2 at 100% and I am not chasing torque just flat out revs and the esc has a failsafe in the programming and both motor and esc are watercooled i dont think i will have a problem.

brodjack

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2009, 04:52:07 pm »

Thats ok,the only way is to try it,keep us informed..
Brod..

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »

well alls well that ends well

if it ends  :embarrassed:

went down this arvo to give it a test drive so before i went i put the Slomo into the bath and did all the necessary water checks and the rest of that guff. went down the lake and it was gorgeous to look at no wind and a nice calm lake, springer on hand for any drastic problems. first run i realised the centre of gravity was way too far back so in she came made a few little adjustments, back out into the water still the same problem so in she came again and i moved the battery forward as far as possible at this stage i noticed a little bit of heat comming from the esc, but motor and battery are still cool, so i thought no i will wait a few minutes till it cools down . So 5 mins later and there is no heat at all i taped her up and gave the throttle a test and it was dead :o I tried all manner of things to get it going but to no avail and then i decided to pack it in and come home,

Just picked up on your thread & guess what - SNAP!, same ESC, same result, burnt out on a 540 motor running 12v in a sub!

I was smelling a burning smell in the car on the way back so i opened the esc up when i got home and it was totally fried so unfortunately guys there is no video atm but i do have a burnt out esc if there are any takers supposedly rated at 100Amps but anyhow back to the drawing board and a new esc

Cheers guys

steamboatbob

« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2009, 11:16:11 am »

Well now here is the test you all wanted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhGLL3QASLY

but not all ended well only one minor hiccup a bit of water leasked from the cooling plate and fried my esc but it was a bit of fun anyways

Have fun Guys

the dutchmen

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »

hello steamboatbob

i also  have build a slo mo shun but ive got a few questions

how dit you made your hatch waterproof so that no water can come in to the boat .
how heavy is your slo mo 

and do you have a speed indication with your brushless set up ...

gr michael

steamboatbob

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2009, 11:01:12 am »

I Use hatch tape (or ice hockey tape, it's the same stuff but cheaper ) to keep the hatch watertight i haven't had one mm of water in the hull through it

I have no real brushless setup as i am still trying things out

Hope i helped

the dutchmen

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2009, 11:29:02 am »

ohw okay  i will gonna try it with the tape .

ive installed a Carson 12 t dragster brushless set (906007)

and im quit curious for the speed.. il wil take a few 7.2 volt 6 cell  and a few 7 cell batteries with me for the first testrun  and gonna look what is gonna happen .

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.