Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: OH NO Another Slo-Mo  (Read 45902 times)

the dutchmen

Re: OH NO Another Slo-Mo
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2009, 03:07:34 pm »

yesterday we've dit the first testrun ... it was bad . the speed was'nt what we've expected it was sloooooowwwww and the reason we found after opening the hatch the motor was very hot  >>:-(  and the running time was not more than 2 minutes with 7.2 4800 mah.

so today i contacted plettenberg for a new brushless motor esc and lipo ( we have a own model shop so the costs will be low :P )

only have to wait for availability

steamboatbob

« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2009, 09:46:30 am »

well long time no see

I have made a few changes to the Slo-mo-shun

-it now runs a 2887 KV motor from Feiago 540L type 55 AMP current draw and more tourque.
-I have purchased an Etti esc 150 opto 6-30V capacity and 150 constant current draw, 300 burst
-also i have redone the cooling tubing with a bigger bore silicone tube and changed all electrical connectors to 5mm gold plated banana plugs
bar that nothing else has been done im just waiting on a nice day down the lake to run her

the battery is still the same 14.8 V 5000mah Lipo i have had it out on one run and sofar sogood i was only getting the setup right for the esc so i didn't get a fast run in and then the wind came down and blew away my chances of getting a solid run out of her

But within the next 2-3 weeks i shall have a good video up and running for you guys to look at  %)

here is a photo of the new motor and esc you can get them from various sellers but i got mine through here
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=etti-esc-race-150-opto

andyn

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2009, 10:48:03 am »

Looking good, what C rating is your Li-Po? The higher you can possibly get the better.

steamboatbob

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2009, 11:12:20 am »

The Lipo is a 30 C 14.8 V 5000mah 4s 2p battery by flightmax

andyn

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2009, 11:26:55 am »

Sounds good :-))

steamboatbob

« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2009, 04:29:12 am »

well as promised another video

i got a 13 second run at low speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz83OzsHFik

as you will see in the video I turn and come back for my second pass trying to miss a few ducks put the power on and she leaps out of the water and then the engine revs extremely high.

hat i found out when the boat was finally pushed in was that the propshaft had come out of my coupler now i was absolutely sure i had tightened up all of the 4 grub screws to hold it in place so in my extremely grumpy mood i went and looked for the shaft where it came out near the sure (I am soo glad it is summer over here and the water was very pleasantly warm).

Too get my hackles up i found out someone had placed a marron trap in the water tied to a rope about 10 mm thick fairly thick and only just submerged in the water i had a look at the rope and found a section where it had been very recently sliced open almost all the way through and in the end after 30 Min's searching, no shaft and prop to be found <*<.

I have placed a call to the relevant fishing authority today and they reported a big thank you as fishing for marron out of season incurs a $1000.00 fine and another $500.00 if they don't have the relevant fishing license (shove that up ya clacker you dumbass git) {-)

but in the end i guess i had a good run with good speed for all of 14 seconds I am really starting to wonder when i will get a decent run in ???

anyhow cheers guys

hope ya like the vid

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2009, 09:24:41 am »

Looks like its going to be a fast little thunderboat you got there,maybe try some blue loctite on the grub screws or ive had good results using nail varnish...... on grub screws that is lol  %).
Mart
ps whats a marron lol,sounds like a moron set the trap lol

steamboatbob

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2009, 09:53:03 am »

have a look at this link it will show ya what a marron is basically a freshwater crayfish

http://www.albanymarronfarm.com.au/pages/marron.html

extremely nice to eat but there is only a 6 week fishing period in the whole year around January so i felt really good today when i rang the fisheries department and dobbed on the "xxxxx" they told me if they catch them its a $500 on the spot fine plus up to $5000 in the courts for your first offence.
God i hope they get caught  {-)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2009, 04:00:59 pm »

We have similar ones here our native ones are very small and endangered because someone released the american signal crayfish into our waters here.The signals were brought over to breed for the table and some obviously got out and theyre widespread now,as they are classed as a neusance anyone can catch them year round i think although you need a licence to use traps.If im wrong im sure someone will correct me lol.Never tried one but theyre suposed to be tasty.
Mart

steamboatbob

« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2009, 09:41:23 am »

well I think the time has come to sell the beast from the below (the slomo) I have had a lot of fun with it but as usual i am getting bored with her and every time i take her out for my own fun as there are no racing clubs close enough to me i get a little sadder.

but i am first and foremost a builder and it pleased me to no end in finishing her off there is only one more thing to do and that is the engine cowling and driver I still am unsure as to if i shall go ahead with this but I will sell the whole kit and caboodle when she goes minus the radio gear

so a listing is this so far as to what I have spent on my beastie
Prices are in AUD
Kit                      $250
Drive Hardware     $150
Motors                 $140
ESC                     $180
4S Lipo + Balancer $ 290
Props                   $50
Extras Resin Cooling etc $100
Total                    $1160.00

So i would probobly sell for around $800 plus postage. but as this is hypothetical atm, I am not sure, I just know i need a new project :)

steamboatbob

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2010, 10:28:36 am »

oh well i have given up on selling it and started again on a refurb of the hatch

i used 1.5mm thick black styrene which was gloss then sanded it down with 180 grit paper and then again with 800 and again with 1200 to get a nice satin look as the piece i had was fairly scratched (I went round to a plastics manufacturer and asked if i could look through their offcuts total cost nothing)

the engine cowling had a piece of balsa shaped and moulded to fit underneath and glued into the engine cowling with a fair amount of araldite so i had a flat base and it gives me a greater surface area to glue down to the hatchi just need to get my driver painted and the steering wheel and instruments glued into place and all is good.

i have solved my problems with my motor shafts popping out with a drill chuck type motor coupler which really clamps down onto the shaft i will be greatly surprised if it comes loose now it seems that the previous couplers grub screws were defective and just did not work properly but with new props and shafts at my door it is time to go for another try. %)
NEW COUPLING

NEW LOOK

steamboatbob

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2010, 12:42:44 am »

A New reinvigoration came to me today

I went out expecting the worst with my slomo and WoW nothing went wrong the only thing that did go wrong was the fact that i forgot to charge my video camera properly and well :embarrassed: :embarrassed: no video to prove i went fast but a video will be done very shortly on a few quick runs

Happy holidays

BOB

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2010, 06:22:28 pm »

now that i think i have done enough with the resining of the bottom and the placement of the hardware i am going back to the fun job of planking

WOOHOO

as you can see in this picture i have started on the side this is so the top planking will go on flat after i have sanded back this plank to the frame level but when planking with pva glue, it takes it's time so i will show you guys in a few days what she looks like the planks that billings have supplied with the boat are not that good i have seen a lot better but i am going on with it in this way so i can show people that you can build this kit from billings with the parts that are supplied with a few minor changes as their instructions i believe are completely wrong and have been thaught up by someone that really wanted to go on holidays before they were printed. as you guys can see i have gone about this build in my own way as the billings kit way will make a great display model but be kinda useless in the water.

a person that purchased this kit needs to know a lot about modelling and billings rates it as a intermediate build which i do agree upon.

i now am thinking i should have forked out the extra dosh and gone for the AMATI kit ARNO FERRARI RACER but its a little late for that now

only just read through your thread as you mentioned it on your reply in my build thread

Great minds think alinke on the Amati Arno... Its awaiting delivery as the model shop we bought it from is still awaiting stocks

You said that there were stories that Billing Boats cutting is not up to par.  From my experience (somewhat limited I might add) is that the newer laser cut kits are nuch much better than the old ones

I bought a Mayflower off of Ebay that a chap had owned for many years and never started.  On opening the packaging the wood was poorly cut and the ink printing was way off of the cut lines (up to 5mm in places)
But my phantom is laser cut and seems to be much better.

The slo mo looks good and was gonna be my fiirst boat kit, but I decided on the Phantom instead... I think I made the right choice as it has been good fun to build and not too difficult.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

steamboatbob

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2010, 08:55:05 am »

Well another time has come to get rid of this boat

ad will be placed in the for sale section and yes everything except the tx rx gear will be sold

xilsoe

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2010, 07:31:17 am »

Youtube video of my Slo-mo (Not build by me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFfktnOqJ0

steamboatbob

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2011, 02:02:41 am »

i stiill have this hull
and will try soon to get it going again but im not going to put major hours into it as when i look around my study/workshop i have the following models in various stages of completion

Slomoshun - just needs drive hardware     -   Would be willing to sell
little dictator - awaiting new motor / esc combo
graupner jet boat - motor esc radio gear    -   Would be willing to sell
Build the Bismarck - got all the bits but just need the patience to build it and the props and speed controls
Big dictator - under construction
Micro Magic - working but needs a new paint job
Ripmax sea rider - needs hardware removed and put into bin (had major accident damaging the hull and the motor was put into my mini dictator)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.