Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: protecting paint  (Read 2272 times)

hover tim

protecting paint
« on: September 28, 2008, 06:24:04 pm »

i have to start a restoration job soon on a modle i have aquired i know for a fact that any spary paint i use will attckk the old plaint and whatever was used to finnish the job origonally i found out the hard way could i use some ofthat silicone spray to potect the current paintwork or do i have to sand back to wood and repaint

Stavros

Re: protecting paint
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »

Tell me more hovertim what is this wonderfull silicone spray that would protect paint,I am intrigued and mystified.Be warned that any silicone spray on paintwork is the kiss of DEATH for any subsequent paint job.You say that you know for a fact that any paint applied over the excistin paintwork will cause a problem.....How come?Plasticoat enamel just to name one will go over anything.If yes you want to use Halfords acrylic paint etc then yes you will need to rub all the paint off the hull.If the hull is made of wood then may I suggest that you use nitromous to get rid of all the paint then you can start afresh

Stavros

hover tim

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:49:06 pm »

I thought that may be the case but there are sme details that i would like to protect such as decals and hand applied rivits using pva would the nitromous harm the pva and the decals would have to be maked over would the tamiya masing tape be suitable for this.i kow that the stuff from B&Q will react as i did it myself awhile back the paint seems to wrinkle up and looked awful 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 08:33:04 pm »

Plastikote paint Pete.

http://www.paintsprays.co.uk/catalog/index.php

Excellent Service.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 10:17:58 pm »

Nothing will protect the decals and the pva from paint stripping,what product from B&Q if it was and I suspect it was Plasticoat then as Huston would say we have a problem,if this was so then the only real answer is to either leave it alone or start again.With regards the rivets there is a member on here called Voyager who used some stick on plastic rivets but sorry I cant remember who he was buying them from maybee pm him to find out.As regards the decals then maybee you should contact a signwriter who would probably be able to reproduce those for you

Stavros

hover tim

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:53:10 pm »

I was chatting to a friend today about this and he suggested some waterd down pva and then sanding when dry i think i will use the suggested method above and not go anywhere ners the stickers is this stuff spary or brush application 

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 10:38:32 pm »

Brush on

Stavros
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.