Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leigh Bawley colour scheme  (Read 16341 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Leigh Bawley colour scheme
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 03:36:40 am »

Beautiful  :-)) :-)) :}

Lovely job John
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John C

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 08:21:26 am »

Thanks Mark
I'm a lot happier now I've had the boat on the water, gives me the will to get on with the little details like maybe add a crew.
It does seem to me that the bigger boats sail that bit better, but I doubt I would want to go much bigger than this one.

John C

farrow

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 09:12:39 am »

Some beautiful models, it is giving me the urge to forget powered vessels and make a bawley. Just one thing though I noticed, there are no brails rigged on the mainsail on some models These where a major part of the rig, as on the actual working boats they were used to scandalised the mainsail to regulate your speed(perculiar to bawleys amongst fishing boats) and enable you to work the boiler to cook the shrimps as you caught them.

John C

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 09:23:29 am »

The brail is something I'm undecided about adding at the moment. Of the working models I have seen, only one had the brail fitted but it wouldn't be a major job to put one on.
My rigging is a bit unorthodox mainly cos I don't know what I'm doing, but it seemed to work ok, even without sail control I was able to put the boat where I wanted on the pond.
Overall I'm happy with the boat but do intend to add some more details, reg no's navigation boards etc and maybe a flying jib.

John C

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 09:45:04 am »

Rigging is often a compromise on a scale sail boat.

If is often not true to prototype and often simplified to make it work.

I am looking at my next build, and my main concern with rigging is to simplify it for speed of rigging/de-rigging waterside. I am not too worried about wandering from the plan.

farrow

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 10:34:46 pm »

Hi, yes I suppose you are right about the rigging, but perhaps you guys can give me a lead as to where I can get my hands on decent plans for a bawley boat, I fancy doing a clicker built one though I thgink the overall shape is the same as a carvel one. By the way I expect you know it but they where called bawley boats locally because they used to cook the shrimps as they caught them , so they were distintive by the steam coming from the cooking pot.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 02:47:04 am »

By the way I expect you know it but they where called bawley boats locally because they used to cook the shrimps as they caught them , so they were distintive by the steam coming from the cooking pot.

I didn't know that. Another interesting anecdote.
Is Bawley a derivation of 'boil'-ey?

John C

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 08:22:19 am »

Mark. Sure is

Old Dodes. There are lines for a Harwich Bawley in the book "Inshore craft", small but if you're clever (I'm not) you could enlarge them to a use able size.
I have read that there were lines taken from Doris wich mine is based on, but there are no lines on the drawings I have. Might be worth giving Mike Mayhew a call though.

John C

KEMO

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 10:39:28 am »

Hiya,
      pictures and lines for Doris can be found here,

http://www.smackdock.co.uk/old/smacklist/doris/doris.htm

Keith.

farrow

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 11:45:39 pm »

Cheers Kemo for that info, I have downloaded the plans and now looking at them. I shouldn't think there is an awful much difference to the ones on the Kent side.
 Many thanks,
David

John C

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 04:39:54 pm »

Sorry..................been away on family business for a bit.
I don't think there is a lot of difference. From what i've read the clinker built bawleys operated out of Gravesend and the Medway, the Essex coast bawleys were carvel built and bigger to operate further out in the estuary as the stocks declined.

John C

Bradley

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 09:46:18 am »

I know that this topic is a little out of date now - no postings since June last year and it looks as though John C may have 'disappeared' as he was a 'Guest' and is not listed as a member.  Can anyone enlighten me as to the length of this Bawley hull as it looks much bigger than the 37" one shown on Waverley Models website which, I am sorry to say, is not very informative about their many hulls, etc.  :((
Many thanks.

Derek.

Bradley

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 09:16:43 pm »

Hi Guys,

Any suggestions yet, please.  {:-{ {:-{

Derek.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 01:28:15 am »

Hi Derek

Been away on hols and so did not see the emails sooner.

I believe JC has contacted you by phone on this one.
But for others interested Hull length is 39" and the bowsprit adds another 19".
Mike Mayhew, the best approach is to ring him for info rather than email.

boboiseau

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 07:37:34 pm »

Good to see working sail modellers with some excellent boats.

For definitive information about bawleys there is no better book than Smacks & Bawleys by John Leather.

Sails _ bawley sail in trade were never treated but always white and changed every two to three years.  The reason they were not couloured is because the sails were hoisted and dropped many times on a working trip and the colour would have covered any of the crew touching them.  Barge sails that were permanently attached i.e. Main and for were never really handled as per the mizzen which was furled in a similar way to the main.  Other sail ahead of the foresail were left untreted because they were attached and removed by hand when necessary.

Hope that helps

Bob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.