Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: To plastic card or not plastic card that is the question  (Read 12144 times)

flybobby

Re: To plastic card or not plastic card that is the question
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 10:16:23 am »

I notice the use of epoxy resin to seal wood etc, I have always (in my ignorance) assumed this was the same as fibreglass resin, which I have used in the past on the underside of a wood hull; the resulting mess was absolutley amazing and took a large team of strong armed monkeys a hell of a long time to sand smooth!! ::)

What epoxy resin should I use?  I asume similar to the double barrelled tubes you can get, but packaged in larger quantities ???  I have seen it used on supermodels, nice and runny and easily spread with a credit card, but what is it and where can I get some from?? ???

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 11:00:40 am »

Flybobby

Try these people -

http://www.fibretechgb.co.uk/

Don

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 11:06:34 am »

Or better still do it properly with epoxy fibreglass resin...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 12:07:14 pm »

you can use the two part stuff from any diy retailer or model shop,just make sure its warm i put it in the sun for a bit 1st you dont need much to cover a hull when you use the card its surprising how far it goes, especially when its warm and runny.the fibre glass resin is the same but it only comes in large amounts and it goes off after 3 months or so.unless you intend building a few hulls at the same time its a waste of money to be honest.ive been building hulls like a daft sod recently after buying 2 ltrs of resin to cover my sail boat with cloth.if you can get half a ltr of resin then fine as it is cheaper that way than the epoxy adhesive.i built 2 full boats using the two pack epoxy and the two pack did them both ,building and sealing so it goes a long way and cost me £8.

mv1

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 12:43:59 pm »

For sealing wood grain on models I use a product called G4 Pond Sealer - available from garden ctrs or Glass fibre suppliers.

Its moisture drying and self leveling, goes off quickly and dries likes glass.

2/3 coats rubbed down between cioats is enough so that grain doesn't show.

Mark

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 02:15:05 pm »

For sealing wood grain on models I use a product called G4 Pond Sealer - available from garden ctrs or Glass fibre suppliers.

Its moisture drying and self leveling, goes off quickly and dries likes glass.

2/3 coats rubbed down between cioats is enough so that grain doesn't show.

Mark
looks like good stuff ,this stuff is used as a primer for resin mostly on concrete!!heres a price for ithttp://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/pond-seal-p-408.html
probably cheaper to use epoxy to be honest as you probably use epoxy for building anyway!!.

warspite

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 01:15:38 pm »

It has been mentioned a few times that plasticard has it's limitations, for instance, any flexing and moderate heat (even body temp) will break down the molecules that bind the plasticard and allow it to crack, so how do you justify using plasticard in superstructures when it may break up?

And how would you combat this phenominon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 02:06:38 pm »

hi im not familiar with plasticard but the stuff i have was from posters in the shop my wife runs they are printed on plastic and its arround1/16 thick very strong but flexible doesnt crack ive tried to break it and its very strong.maybe this is different to plasticard,some kind of vinyle maybe im not sure its worth asking any large retailers for theyre old advertising banners posters etc if they are printed on this stuff.it cuts pretty easy but its not brittle at all. i do agree though i wouldnt build a hull out of it but the top structure should be fine made from this.i got 3 massive sheets of the stuff from my wifes shop peakocks!!ask at your local one they throw all the old ones away when finnished ask the manager to save you a few!!.by the way its white on the back!!!,my understanding of plasticard is its very brittle? but trust me this stuff is deffinately not.another alternative to plasticard for above deck is coroplast the fluted stuff get the 2mm stuff its strong and light.i built a planes wing from it and its indestructable!!.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2006, 12:01:39 am »

Plasticard is well justified because it is easily worked and long lasting.  If unpainted, it will de-nature over time, but it is basically the same stuff that plastic kits are made of.  Of course it is flexible.  So is plywood.  It is brittle in that if you bend it far and often enough it will break.  So will everything else.  It also comes in various grades, as has been noted in the past by people who made their own vac-form machines.  When built, the model will have a surface that needs very little preparation for painting.
I would not consider making a hull out of it, though.  Something pre-moulded is OK, but to build it up from sheet, no.  Other materials do the job so much better, but decks & superstructure where generally you want looks and lightness rather than strength, it comes into it's own.
For those with the required skills, Jörg's method with brass sheet will be light, and probably everlasting - just a question of learning the new skills and probably much practice.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2006, 02:29:16 am »

I  have one boat that has plasticard used to build the superstructure, the boat is the Seabex 1, it is nearly six feet in length, the plasticard is slowly becoming brittle, but I have admit the boat was built in 1981.......

Roy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 09:22:06 pm »

Built when you were a mere boy then ;D ;D ;D
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 09:30:10 pm »

That's right, they're both crumbling gently together.... ;D

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2006, 05:05:20 am »

Thats dead right and I know who is losing the battle the quickest, and it's not the boat.....

Roy

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 10:57:08 pm »

The superstructure on my cruised is 25 yrs old, not painted or finished (no not by me).
The very thin plasticard has gone brittle, but the 1.5 and 2mm plasticard is still in exceptional condition.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 09:56:37 pm »

Plasticard is well justified because it is easily worked and long lasting.  If unpainted, it will de-nature over time, but it is basically the same stuff that plastic kits are made of.  Of course it is flexible.  So is plywood.  It is brittle in that if you bend it far and often enough it will break.  So will everything else.  It also comes in various grades, as has been noted in the past by people who made their own vac-form machines.  When built, the model will have a surface that needs very little preparation for painting.
I would not consider making a hull out of it, though.  Something pre-moulded is OK, but to build it up from sheet, no.  Other materials do the job so much better, but decks & superstructure where generally you want looks and lightness rather than strength, it comes into it's own.
For those with the required skills, Jörg's method with brass sheet will be light, and probably everlasting - just a question of learning the new skills and probably much practice.

Hello all, I'd have to agree with Malcolm on this one I am presently building a hull using plasticard / Styrene (ABS) sheet. I now wish that I'd gone and done it using 1/64" (0.4mm) and 1/32" (0.8mm) ply with formers. I find wood (of whichever variety) to be more workable and forgiving ! The styrene when it is being joined using a solvent is extremely easily deformed by the application of only a little too much and conversely VERY easy to part if insufficient solvent is applied  >:( Admittedly I am much happier using wood for building in but am determined to complete this hull in styrene and make sufficiently well to create a plug and then a mould to take off a couple of GRP hulls.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 04:58:44 pm »

the best way of all to stick plasticard to any other surface is to use double sided "interior-exterior" tape. wonderful and permanent adhesion...beware of the quick "grab time". never fails. Bryan young, master mariner.
Notes from a simple seaman

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 05:25:45 pm »

It all depends on your personal skills and what you are building.

For a  128 scale KGV or USS Missouri it is nigh on impossible to build their complicated superstructures in wood, so it's either styrene or brass.  (Styrene for me as little brass bits are too difficult to solder for my expertise )
For a early 1900s stem launch, wood is by far a better medium

KenP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.