Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer drivers  (Read 9602 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: Printer drivers
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 10:12:11 am »

Good point Steve

Martin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 07:09:28 pm »

Got my printer back "on-line" now...but I think the driver is a "generic" one. But it also turned out that the driver was not the only thing at fault.
1. The yellow ink had started to congeal and was clogging the nozzles. Apparently this is a common problem with yellow. Don't ask me why!
2. Even after "fixing" the problem the results on glossy paper that I bought from Aldi (thinking it was a "good buy") were still rubbish. When I swapped to one of my more expensive papers the results were dramatically better.
Thanks for all your help. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 07:39:34 pm »

I've been tempted to use cheap clone ink cartridges in the past but they always seem to give problems. I now just find the best price on original manufacturer ones. Yiou can get good bargains if you look around.

As far as photo paper is concerned, most of the big names are OK, again look for bargains. However, if you want real longevity so that your great gradchildren can see your precious pics it's still best to match the original manufacturer ink and paper as they are designed to work together.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 11:01:39 pm »

It seems to be a bit unfortunate that modern printers have their inkwells "chipped". So the cost of a machine (printer) is really cheap..but if you do a lot of printing then the cost of the ink goes through the roof. This, in the long term, will be a negative investment by the printer manufacturers. This whole thing is supposed to be an affordable way of letting Joe Public do his "thing". Apart from the complexity and so on of developing your own slides and prints when we used to use the chemical bath way, digital photography opened up a new world to millions of people. Now they are cashing in....and it is becoming unaffordable to the many who embraced it. Geese and Golden Eggs come to mind. Ink is reasonably cheap. Cartridges must cost peanuts. Why kill off a good thing for short term gains? Not a rant. Just disappointed. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 11:06:34 pm »

If you have a lot of photos to print then it's much cheaper to take a CD with the files to Jessops or one of the other high street firms and have them do the printing. I only use my photo printer for special large size prints that I want to frame myself. Personal printers are simply uneconomic for lots of prints.

colin

andygh

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 11:38:36 pm »

I've always had excellent results with my 95p clone ink cartridges, it helps if you never switch the machine off.
Bryan, have you experimented with different paper settings? This can make a huge difference

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 07:13:32 am »

I was on another thread about ink and photo printer and had my eyes opened to the expense they can cost in running them. For instance that some of these modern day photo printer use 7 different colours and when one is empty,you have to buy a new cartridges.  I started to learn as much as I could about my Epson 3200 printer/scanner/photocopier. After a while I got accustomed to printing photos. My ink lasts for a long time now and I have more say in picking the size of picture to be printed. (As it says read the instructions). I don't buy Epson's cartridges but buy from Play.com or 356.com the latter had a pack of colour cartridges at a reasonable price with delivery next day.

I have Paint Shop Pro and I never had any luck with it. While the instructions seem understandable, when it comes to resizing and cropping everthing goes wrong. It is probably me but then the other week my daughter said that she didn't realise that it was so hard to use and shouldn't have got it for me. I use the Canon software (my camera) or the Wizard with reasonable success and the quality is very good.

I print at least a pic a week to keep the nozzle/jets clean and would get more economy if I used Grayscale when printing documents.

Sorry for highjacking the thread

Martin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2008, 01:00:37 pm »

The printer manufacturers are not in it to sell printers.  Their main function is to sell ink. 
I have avoided Epson due to their policy of chipping cartridges and sueing anybody who dares to muscle in on them.  I used to have a Cannon, but it didn't take it long to decide that its waste ink pad was full, which could only be remedied by a service which would cost more than the replacement printer.  Both makes seemed to insist on regular, persistent and expensive head cleaning. 
My Lexmarks were OK but expensive to run, and a comment from a cartridge salesman (we dont list remanufactured colour cartridges for Lexmark because of the complaints) eventually put me off them. 
My current HPs are hopefully going to carry on being boring as they just sit there and work.
A word of what might have been wisdom that I was told was that buying a high capacity cartridge is only economical if high use is anticipated, otherwise the ink in the nozzles dries and might fail to clear on the start-up.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 07:37:09 am »

Since I changed suppliers I have not had trouble with print quality and there seems to be more ink in the cartridges, or maybe I've acquired the knack of printing pictures.

I'll need get down to the shops with a disc and try that method. It is passport size photo that has been the one I can't print out. Doesn't seen to be list in any of the software I have.  :(

Very happy with my Epson but I don't think I would have bought one when they were just printers.

Martin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 08:59:40 am »

Serif Photoplus 6 (a free download) will let you specify the size of a photo in inches/centimetres for printing. I use it all the time for resizing photos for the club website. It does what it says on the tin or somesuch  O0

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/default.asp

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008, 09:21:04 am »

If SWTSMBO is into making greeting cards for all and sundry, the cartridges cost a small fortune. Just got an external system for our Epson, much cheaper.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 09:35:26 am »

I used to have a Cannon, but it didn't take it long to decide that its waste ink pad was full, which could only be remedied by a service which would cost more than the replacement printer. 
You can fix this yourself, the routine is here http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff11.html and here http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/15284
I have used this workaround without a problem. Cleaning and drying the pad on the bottom of the printer is the biggest pain in the ****

catengineman

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 08:38:34 pm »

While we are talking on the printer side of this thread I have given up on printers, Oh I still have my Epsom colour and a Hp desk jet
and I have a fax copier printer by cannon.

I found that my daughter was printing more than me and only when I was at work it cost me a fortune in ink but not now  {-)

mono chrome settings locked in the fax and the others are shut off  :D

HLR

• Shipmate
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 09:24:11 pm »

I have used this company for ink for my printers for some time, good products, fast delivery and excellent prices, worth a look.

ink-1.co.uk/shop/

Steve

aka  HLR

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 10:16:27 pm »

I used to have a Cannon, but it didn't take it long to decide that its waste ink pad was full, which could only be remedied by a service which would cost more than the replacement printer.
You can fix this yourself, the routine is here http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff11.html and here http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/15284
I have used this workaround without a problem. Cleaning and drying the pad on the bottom of the printer is the biggest pain in the ****
Thanks but that was several years ago.  Canon lost a customer by a process of commercial stupidity, forgetting that there were other players out there.  The various printers that have been used since have all given good service and acceptable results for the jobs I needed doing.  When something terminal fell off, I joined the throwaway society and got a fresh one.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 08:39:38 am »

Just have put new cartridges in the old Epson 3200

I think you'll agree the quality is reasonable. l.o.l.

Martin

Reade Models

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 09:34:33 am »

Very nice...

But copying banknotes is illegal.

Malc

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 09:43:16 am »

LOOK very closely at the pictures. !!!  {-)

Reade Models

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 09:48:19 am »

Looks like a £10 note to me? (and making any facsimile of a banknote is illegal)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 09:52:10 am »

you can have this one for a fiver l.o.l.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 09:56:54 am »

I've just wrecked my screen cutting one out....  :(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 09:58:30 am »

:o :D ::)    there has to be something wrong with this scan of a Tenner or the Fiver even - I mean it comes from a Scotman's pocket and I am surprised its even seen daylight... probably the last time it saw daylight was the day it was printed ..... and even then it's a bit IFFY to me.....ever known a Scotsman to let you know he has some money.......wonder there isnt a scan of his hand along with it....KEEPing a hold of the note.     Aye nowt like a grip of a Scotsman on a Ten poond note ya nar.....  {-) {-) {-)

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2008, 10:16:14 am »

THE STRONGEST GRIP IN THE WORD

Just for you John anytime oll mate

Start a new thread. Called.. Name that Tartan

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 10:55:54 am »

Och martin Ah dae hink we ur gonnae hae tae tak' ye tae th' doctors - thes is twice runnin' ye hae removed bunsens frae th' depths ay yer wee sprran an' thes is a bad sign fur a scotsman

why aye man
John
oh it takes a worried man, to sing a worried song
oh it takes a worried man to look at that tenner so long  :-X
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2008, 12:35:55 pm »

I might as well hold on to it the banks certainly can't
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.