Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ships wheel  (Read 2275 times)

catengineman

ships wheel
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:00:10 pm »

Right sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I am trying to locate a ships wheel with the diameter of around 40mm
Every where I have looked they come out at 36 inches or are in resin I would like it to be in wood if possible

any one out there know a place or maker of such an item PLEASE :angel:

r,

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ships wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:17:29 pm »

Ever tried making one? I have struggled for years (off and on) to make one. I know HOW to do it, but the skill and expertise required still beats me. I guess I could make a full size one, but at model scales ......Perhaps a jeweller could do it.
Notes from a simple seaman

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:46:57 pm »

Hi Bryan, I had thought about making but then it will have to be spot on and with some things I get err not so hot  ;D
I can get resin but it needs to be wood and also if possible have the brass work boss and helm mark which the brass work would be easy its the wood work at that scale I think I will have even less hair than I have now and an awful lot of match wood  :embarrassed:

Proteus

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:47:48 pm »

try MHB they do one about that size for there Vigilant but be prepaired to pay but it is a nice job.

http://www.model-steam-boats.co.uk/Vigilant_midships_detail.htm

Proteus

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:02:02 pm »

Here is a thought for you - take the resin one and paint it to look like wood  O0

I've found it fairly easy to do in the past. The method - paint all over in a pale beige colour and leave to dry. Then take a dark brown/red oil based paint and streak the grain in. you'll be surprised at how effective it looks. If you're not happy with the effect - white spirit, wipe it off and try again.

Alternatively if you're working to a small scale use very well diluted oil paint and stain over the paler colour (nice and streaky).

Give it a go on any scrap piece of material it doesn't need to be resin

regards
longshanks

Proteus

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:09:41 pm »

I should have said on mi post that they do a wood efect on them in the kit so it looks just like wood.

Proteus

walrus

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 04:43:41 pm »

Try Scoonies Models .www.scoonie-hobbies.co.uk he has three sizes in wood 15 22 28mm

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:54:09 pm »

walrus, Thanks I will have a look at their site.

Proteus, Thanks I will look at their's as well.

Longshanks, Streaky my painting is like that but i did try to make a wood effect box once and made a total hash of it which is why I would like to be able to get a ready made item (plus I'm a bit on the lazy side of forty {-) )
Thanks to all who have given their info and help

this mayhem is truly a wonderfull place

R,

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:09:49 pm »

I think I may have another go at this devil as my present build (Tyne ferry "Northumbrian"....or possibly "Tynemouth") is at 1:24 scale  (0.5" = 1ft) so the wheel could be quite large. If you break down a traditional wheel into its component parts then it isn't too difficult to imagine how to build the thing. It's all in segments apart from the spokes. The rest is all skill at the size required. Sounds easy!
Notes from a simple seaman

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »

https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/Fittings_Boats/Ship_Wheels/

Hi try the link above, they have some ships wheels on there, they may be suitable for you.    One thing I can suggest - don't spend too long on this website - I did today and I have spent a fortune on it  :D {-) ;D O0

aye
John e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.