Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Non slip paint HELP  (Read 10155 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Non slip paint HELP
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:03:00 am »

Im about to start painting my Fire Boat at last and it calls for non slip paint effect, in the past for small areas ive used wet+dry glued down and painted over, but this requires large areas that do not lend themselves to this method,such as hatchtops etc,  the paint specified on the full size is "CERRUX" non slip deck paint white and darkgrey any help would be appreciated.  Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Non slip paint HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:15:07 am »

On full size ships we used to non-slip the paint by adding sand.
Something on this line, but very fine?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 06:31:48 am »

Dont know if it would do the trick, but if you have a model railway shop near you? Have a look a the bags of gravel in 00 scale, as it might be fine enough to sprinkle over the wet paint.

ambernblu

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:18:41 am »

Hiya... As Voyager suggests, a bag of ballast would probably do the job quite well, but go for the extra-fine ballast (as for 'N' gauge and smaller scales) A small bag will probably set you back about a quid (assuming the shop bag their own like our local model railway shop) - but its heavy to put in the post, so try and buy locally! Cheers, Brian

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 11:55:12 am »

Hmmm- probably another way: We have glued a sand-paper corn 400 on the deck and then painted it. Looked also very realistic.

Hope this was out of any help.
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 03:12:47 pm »

Try the kiln dried sand that your local DIY or builders merchants sells for brushing into the joints on brick or block paving. Its very fine, very dry and whats more very cheap.
             Richard
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 10:15:10 pm »

Depending on the scale, talc works well, just mix to taste into trhe paint and do test samples until it works.  Its also a good flatting agent.  Some folks swear by carborundum powder.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 10:42:25 pm »

Try Silver sand from pet shops.

JayDee
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:04:37 am »

A little moor info, Allthough the decks can be done in the way people have suggested,  thanks for all the info up to now, The cabin tops (in picture) may be a problem doing it that way I remember seeing the model-slipway boat and it looks as if they may have used textured paint on the decks and it looks very good , does anybody know of any spray paint that can do this sort of thing  Peter

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 05:49:08 pm »

Sent you a PM

Marc
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 07:32:25 pm »

On some of his models, Lawrie has used super-fine aluminium oxide mixed in the paint until its nice and gritty.  He purchased this stuff at one of the Model Engineering shows. I believe it is used for sandblasting.

Jackie

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 09:28:39 pm »

Hi, while watching that programme on tv about building a 1\72nd scale Fearless, Tim Morgan mentioned using some anti slip beads that you could get from a ships chandler(?) shop. He said there was various sizes. He used the smallest on all his ships and said the results were 'scale like' in appearance.

Aston

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 11:38:16 pm »

on my 1:12 scale lifeboat I used a paint from B & Q that is designed for painting on doorsteps, I think it's called Sandtex, but I'll have a look in the workshop tomorrow and check.  It's full of grit and needs strring before every brushfull, but gives a good effect at this scale, though probably way too much at most smaller scales.  It comes in a limited range of coours but does have black white and red amongst them.

Aston

flag-d

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 11:56:14 pm »

Try this, it really does work quite well!  Paint as normal, then, while still wet, sprinkle with caster sugar, not granulated.  Leave to dry, then rinse off with water to dissolve the sugar away.  Leaves a nice non-slip surface.

Mike

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Non slip paint HELP RoughCoat - Texttured Spray
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 02:20:34 am »

Thanks for all the help up to now. I'm probably going to go for the idea by THE MODEL SLIPWAY as I have seen there boat and its the type of Finnish I would like . The problem is that I am rubbish at any kind of paint(hate it hate it) that is why i have a few boats only needing paint to Finnish.I did come across this paint though, bellow..   there may be people on this site that  have used it for its proper use, would it do for non-slip decking

Roughcoat Spray Paint   From  Games Workshop / Citadel Miniatures

Roughcoat is a spray paint like no other. Though you point it and spray like any other, the finish you get is very different. Roughcoat spray has been developed to give a fine textured finish to models and terrain, a finish that cleverly emulates the look of stone or rough metal and gives you an ideal surface to drybrush over.

Its two main uses are as:

A sealant and texturing agent on terrain. Standard spray paint melts polystyrene used for making terrain. Roughcoat spray can be applied without damaging the surface of your polystyrene terrain pieces.  This makes it ideal to give a weathered finish to your Warhammer 40,000 ruined buildings from the Cities Of Death range.
A way of detailing tanks to create a rough metal looking finish on what is a smooth plastic model. Creates a realistic metal look on smooth plastic surfaces.

I may have put a picture of the can on .. Peter

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 09:56:31 am »

Bit late on this one but may help some one  Halfords Bumper paint not to many colours .

spray a good coat on the area required when satisfied stand back and spray over the area again keeping the can upright
so the spray just falls over the area as a mist. give a nice rough texture.

bbdave

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 07:34:13 am »

i know this is late but you can get non slip addative from international or blakes paint i may have some knocking around. surely no addative would be scale wouldn't matt paint be the best option?

bigford

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 02:37:17 pm »

i know this is a little late BUT!!!
 i just found a primer called mr. surfacer 500  thick as heck  i used it unthinned
and you get a very nice spatter  jusk like non slip O0

barryfoote

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 03:44:46 pm »

i know this is a little late BUT!!!
 i just found a primer called mr. surfacer 500  thick as heck  i used it unthinned
and you get a very nice spatter  jusk like non slip O0

I reckon Peter has painted his boat by now amigo... :D :D :D

bigford

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 03:57:33 pm »

yup  but there might be other banditos  needing the tip :D

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 04:54:41 pm »

No not painted yet. thanks Ill look out for it

Peter

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 10:53:50 pm »

spoke to one of Mayhemer from the Southend club sorry forgot your name and what he used was the powder that you add to superglue to thiken it up for gap gilling and boy was it realistic

Stavros

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 02:48:05 pm »

hi hs93  this is what i use to get a no-slip finish on my decks it called rocket powder (see pic)    my method is paint a area of deck (say the fordeck) then with the rocket powder (snip a small hole in the top) hold it about 18inchs/ 24inches from the deck gently sprinkle it on looking at the deck to get an even covering (repeat untill the whole deck is coverd)  then let it dry! . then dust off rocket powder  that hasnt stuck to the paint  then re- paint the deck. thats it  finished!! O0
regards ray111

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 03:04:53 pm »

Thanks for that it looks about right for me  ill have a practice, can you spray the paint  or do you need slow dry paint like humbrol for the first coat so you have time to put the rocket stuff on , I was given another way to try and that was with grit from sand blasting , but as I am the world worst painter I was afraid I would put it on in lumps and not be able to sand it down.

peter

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 08:24:01 pm »

hi hs93  ive never sprayed painted any of my models only brushed with humbrol (so im not sure if spraying will work??) a leased if you do paint the first coat(for the powder to stick onto)   it will only stick to the wet paint so be careful where you paint!!   i use humbrol no 76 green (matt) for the deck colour (then whenits finished i matt/ or / satin  varnish    ronsil is a good on to use
regards ray111
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.