Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matchstick Titanic  (Read 2356 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Matchstick Titanic
« on: September 29, 2008, 09:57:37 pm »

Dedicated Tim Elkins has finally finished building a scale model of the Titanic made out of 147,000 matchsticks - 15 years after he started.

Builder Tim, 42, has slaved away for 3,500 hours erecting the 1:115 scale of the famous liner at his home in Worthing, West Sussex.

Tim, who spent £100 buying the matches, said: 'It is the first and only model I've built and I'm chuffed it is finished. It has come together better than I ever thought it would.

'The secret is to have a very steady hand and a good pair of tweezers.'

He added: 'I'm not going to start building another one yet because I think my wife Debbie might divorce me.'

The model has been snapped up by Ripley's Believe It Or Not for £8,500 pounds, who will display it at a new museum in Piccadilly Circus, London.

Tim added: 'I'll be pretty gutted when it goes but I'm really pleased with where it's going because everyone's going to see it.'

The model is eight-foot by 39-inches and has 1,600 portholes and Tim even used lettering 5mm tall on the name plate by cutting matchsticks into sixteenths.

Tim was inspired to start the sculpture of the Titanic after seeing a matchstick model of a gypsy caravan at his parent's home.

( Daily Mail )
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The long Build

Re: Matchstick Titanic
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:08:21 pm »

Very Nice

Took 15 years to build , well theres hope for me yet..Ripleys have got a bargain if you consider the hours he has worked on that.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:15:21 pm »

That really is a labour of love (for his wife as well) Pity its going to Ripleys, wouldn't have minded showing that at the Midlands Model boat show. Right just off to get a box of matches and tube of glue, wonder how much Ripleys will give me for a match stick springer
Steamed up all the time

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:59 pm »

now ...... a springer spaniel and you might be onto a winner.. {-) :D O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:05:49 am »

Another couple of wonderful matchstick models seen at Epic show a couple of years back....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:54:32 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.