Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BT Homehub (the black one)  (Read 2448 times)

Garabaldy

BT Homehub (the black one)
« on: September 26, 2008, 11:16:48 pm »

Im stuck, really stuck!

We just got one of these things and on the laptop it works perfectly infact i dont think the laptops ever been disconnected!  Its really fast too.  On the other hand my desktop has trouble connecting to it staying connected and when it is connected its very slow.  The desktop was used with an older homehub a few months ago and it worked perfectly.  do i need to reconfigure my computer so it works with this new homehub properly?  I also wondered if the drivers needed updated on my computer but im unsure...

I have an ASUS wireless card and the ASUS utilitys for controlling it but i use the windows zero as its much easier but i have a suspician that the 2 programmes are conflicting but i have no idea how to uninstall the ASUS software without taking the driver with it....

Anyone know much about this?

Cheers,

Gary

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BT Homehub (the black one)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 04:44:26 pm »

what version of windows is the desktop pc using?

Garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 05:48:53 pm »

XP, both pc and laptop are using XP

dan

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:18:17 pm »

hi gary,

firstly How is the router connected to the computer, is it wireless or via cable?

and all new hardware should need configuring when connected to a computer for the first time. normally this is started automaticly once the peace of hardware has been connected. (sorry if you already know this)

There is a chance that the two are conflicting with each other, the only basic way to delete one of  the programs would be to click on start, then control panel, then click the "add/remove programs" icon, scrool down until you find the one you want to get rid of then click "remove" then if your sure youll never need it again go into your recycle bin and delete it from there to get it completely off the system. (again sorry if you already know this)

cheers, dan

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:04:46 pm »

Have you seen this forum

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/index.jspa

Should get some help there.......................

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:06:46 pm »

Also, are you getting a strong signal on the desktop PC?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 10:29:52 pm »

Had the same problem when we got our new desktop back in january. you have to hard wire the new tower and orient the pc to the hub before it will be recognized by your systems provider. i just rang bt and they talked me through it, no problem.
robert

Garabaldy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:50 pm »

yep i get a strong signal. its just the connection is very slow.  Maybe it would be best to just ring BT?

As for the other programme, i would uninstall it but that will remove the drivers for my wireless card at the same time and i'd really like to avoid that.....

I dont like computers haha

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:36:09 am »

Google the name of the wireless card and check for driver downloads from the site of the people who make it. You might find that the drivers are newer than the ones you've got on the PC. Even if they're not, once you've downloaded them, tuck 'em away in a folder somewhere, then remove the software.

Restart the PC, and right-click "My Computer", click "Manage", double click "Device Manager" and you should be able to see the wireless card in "Network Adapters". If it looks ok, then you're good to go. If it's yellow and question-marked, you've probably removed the drivers. In this case, you can double-click the wireless icon, and follow the "troubleshoot" option. At some point you'll be asked if it can search for drivers, and you should direct it to the folder where you've stuck them. That should work.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.