Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you suggest please.  (Read 6872 times)

RoyP

What would you suggest please.
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:49:24 am »

I would be grateful if you could recommend which of the following RC fishing boat kits is suitable for a first effort in boat modelling.
I am not new to building models having for many years been a railway modeller [7mm scale Narrow Gauge] building my own locos and stock etc.

Robbe - Antje 2.
Artesania - Helen.
Motor Fifie Amaranth.
New Maquettes - Lemarie Ange.
Graupner - Elke HF 408.
Aero Naut - Anna 2.

Or any other suggestions.

Many thanks.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: What would you suggest please.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:05:37 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:11:03 pm »

Mountfleet Model's St Nectan...........huge, expensive but absolutely stunning when finished, or converted as in the pictures enclosed/ O0

I built her as the "illfated" steam trawler RED FALCON lost in 1959 with all hands abeam of Skerryvore LIGHT,  in the inner Minch of Scotland....a very sad day for the port of Fleetwood.

craftysod

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »

You could try mobilemarinemodels i've just bought the ellie mae
and this is my first build

AlanP

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:17:39 pm »

Hi craftysod (nice handle)  {-) are you going to post some pics of your build ellie mae, I would be very interested as I quite fancy that boat myself.

Alan

craftysod

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:33:16 pm »

Will post pics on here  kit doesnt come till tommorow if you want fish boat pics like ellie and the real thing just pm mate

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:46:10 pm »

Hello RoyP,

All of the above models are really wonderful when finished but I would say that as first time kits they may be a bit too expensive if mistakes are made. One of the kits in your list would be an ideal starting point this being the "Amaranth" Herring drifter (Fifie) by Caldercraft. Personally I think it is a very atmospheric model with loads of charm. Plus it is intended for beginners to RC boat modelling and is very reasonably priced. I know one professional model boat builder who loves this kit!

Cheers
Simon  :)

Weeds

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:53:24 pm »

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/KitsParts.htm

Vac-U-Tug Jr. Complete Hull Kit.   Complete kit with motor, hardware & black decal set as described in the "Products" page. No additional accessories listed below are necessary. Click photo for kit contents.    $76.95

andygh

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:42:20 am »

Don't know about the others but the Graupner - Elke HF 408 more or less builds itself, very easy IMHO

http://www.amodelworld.co.uk/
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/graupner_elke.html

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 10:32:06 pm »

How about the Robbie Paula 111 not exactly a fishing boat but a Buoy laying boat which can easily be converted to a trawler and being sup £100 inc motor prop etc it is excellent value for money

Stavros

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 04:45:25 am »

Agreed, Paula III.
Not the easiest build but great value for money.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RoyP

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 04:24:41 pm »

[quote author=polobeer link=topic=12992.msg124825#msg124825 date=1222803970]
Hello RoyP,

All of the above models are really wonderful when finished but I would say that as first time kits they may be a bit too expensive if mistakes are made. One of the kits in your list would be an ideal starting point this being the "Amaranth" Herring drifter (Fifie) by Caldercraft. Personally I think it is a very atmospheric model with loads of charm. Plus it is intended for beginners to RC boat modelling and is very reasonably priced. I know one professional model boat builder who loves this kit!

Thanks for help.
I must admit that "Amaranth" is the one I had a strong leaning towards, any ideas if the instructions are good.

Anyone built this model on the forum?

Roy.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 05:10:31 pm »

Hello again Roy,

I tried searching for info about this model a few times in the past but sadly there is little available on the web, and on this forum. I have heard that it is pretty easy to build and that it makes a very nice model when finished. Looking at Caldercraft's photo of the boat I would say that it would be a straight forward project without too much complexity. If it were me I would buy this kit regardless of whether the instructions are good or not. It's just such a nice looking boat and not expensive! And if you get into difficulty just post your query on the forum; there are so many skilled boat builders here that they would solve your problem in a flash! You could also join the "Trawler Photos" website and post something there, plus research the Fifie as a vessel.

Good luck!
Simon  ;)

PS - I've just been reading your other thread on the forum about your first boat kit. Again I would agree with the others about model boat shows as a good starting point for info from the suppliers. But again, I think you will find the "Amaranth" a very good first kit. Even though it is a herring drifter, the principals of powered RC model boat building are pretty similar across the board and any problems you discover will almost certainly have been solved before by our knowledgeable army of boat enthusiasts here on the Mayhem forum! I would say take the plunge buy the kit and then read the building threads (such as hull preparation, motor and RC equipment installation) here on the forum; everything you need advice wise can be found at Mayhem! Action Electronics are brilliant for RC gear and wiring diagrams; have a look at their website.

RoyP

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 06:12:47 pm »

Hello again Roy,

I tried searching for info about this model a few times in the past but sadly there is little available on the web, and on this forum. I have heard that it is pretty easy to build and that it makes a very nice model when finished. Looking at Caldercraft's photo of the boat I would say that it would be a straight forward project without too much complexity. If it were me I would buy this kit regardless of whether the instructions are good or not. It's just such a nice looking boat and not expensive! And if you get into difficulty just post your query on the forum; there are so many skilled boat builders here that they would solve your problem in a flash! You could also join the "Trawler Photos" website and post something there, plus research the Fifie as a vessel.

Good luck!
Simon  ;)

PS - I've just been reading your other thread on the forum about your first boat kit. Again I would agree with the others about model boat shows as a good starting point for info from the suppliers. But again, I think you will find the "Amaranth" a very good first kit. Even though it is a herring drifter, the principals of powered RC model boat building are pretty similar across the board and any problems you discover will almost certainly have been solved before by our knowledgeable army of boat enthusiasts here on the Mayhem forum! I would say take the plunge buy the kit and then read the building threads (such as hull preparation, motor and RC equipment installation) here on the forum; everything you need advice wise can be found at Mayhem! Action Electronics are brilliant for RC gear and wiring diagrams; have a look at their website.
[/i]

Thanks for the help, I will take the plunge tomorrow and order the "Amaranth" kit.

I live in Rugby so the exhibition in November is on my door step, so will definely be going along.

Thanks,
Roy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.