Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spending euros in France.  (Read 1285 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Spending euros in France.
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:12:26 am »

Hi all, I have just had a short holiday in France.  I bought some Euros in M&S and also used my M&S credit card while on holiday.

I have just received my credit card statement and on checking the exchange rate I find that I got a  better rate of exchange on the credit card than in the store.  All transactions were within a fortnight and exchange rate steady (but awful Mr. Brown)

I also use a Nationwide debit card for withdrawing cash abroad and there is no charge for this and it delivers the local currency where ever you are.

Anyone got any tips on money and travel?
Regards to all, Roy

The long Build

Re: Spending euros in France.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:05:40 pm »

Diito
I got the same rate and no seperate charge to that of the Euro's I bought from the bank. 1.22 at the time

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:17:50 pm »

Living down here in Spain, with a UK based pension, the exchange rate is very important to me and yes it is lousy at the moment.

Over the last ten years I have discovered that the best way to draw Euros when abroad is on your banks debit card. Now rates do vary but Nationwide have no commision charges and give you the best International Exchange rate on the day. Never buy travellers cheques or Euros in the UK as even when they say it is commision free, they will apply a worse exchange rate. Most airports have cash machines and all you have to do is go to the first one and draw your money. They are all done in various languages, including English.

Now take this from a man who really does know about this.......Nothing about model boats but plenty about exchange rates.. :D :D.

Barry

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:55:53 pm »

I am in the same situation as Footski and today I got euro's at 1.26 via debit card, tommorow ?

at the airport they are about 1.17 better on the ferry, about 1.21, so you pays your money...

Keep paying your taxes we rely on them for our pensions.......   :)
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.