Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell U212 submarine  (Read 3912 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Revell U212 submarine
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:20:02 pm »

Sorry folks another set of questions!

I've been trying to find a static plastic submarine kit which is suitable for radio control. The German U212 by Revell is a rather nice looking sub and a decent size for RC, it is also a modern vessel which is what I want. Basically I want to build a model that is not going to break the bank, as most prototypical submarine kits seem to be very expensive. Has anyone converted this model to RC yet and if so how much did it cost to get it ready to run? Any help with its conversion and details of where to source the neccessary parts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Simon  :)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Revell U212 submarine
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:04:26 pm »

The 1/144 Revell 212 is pretty small, and if you haven't done this sort of thing before or have adult sized hands, may proove a little difficult. Larger modern subs at 1/144 scale include the Trumpeter Kilo and larger still, the Trumpeter Seawolf are better conversion candidates. You can purchase ready made model specific dive modules for these from Caswell as well as fitting kits which come with resin controll surfaces and plane linkages. Though by the time you've bought all this, your not far off the price of the fibreglassed T boat you were interested in, which would be the superior model in everyway. Building your own WTC and ballast system brings the price down a lot though.

das boot

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:18:28 pm »

Revell Gato? 51" long and an ideal candidate for r/c conversion, loads of after-market goodies available for it as well. Pop over to SubPirates.com and take a look at the Gato building threads.

Just noticed you want a modern looking sub...just change the conning tower to a post war Guppy type boat as I have done on mine, leave off the prop guards and all the deck cannon and spray it black...

Rich

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:27:50 pm »

Cheers for the info Mankster and Rich. Much appreciated!

Simon  O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.