Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a harbor tug  (Read 2763 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
a harbor tug
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:24:11 pm »

Via email to Mayhem...

A couple of pics if you want to add them to your site…. I apologize for some of the early pics … back in the days when I had to scan my pics in..

Started with some 2 inch thick Styrofoam , carved to shape of a harbor tug and then it just went from there … all scratch built with the exception of the hiab crane, the inflatable and a couple fittings like the doors .. The model was built from trial and error and not from any plans. I hope to have allot of scale detail on it this winter. The model is currently 1/24th scale

Currently it has passed the swimming pool test ( too big for the bath tub ) and should have it on the pond this weekend.

Bow thruster design is one of my own with more of a jet drive setup with enclosed high speed impellers, winch works also , model weighs in at 75 lbs and needs a bit more weight in the bow. The water cannons are still a work in progress however they will be functioning also.

I have allot of pics so if there is anything that you would like to see specifically please let me know.

Kevin Engel

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

Re: a harbor tug
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:25:37 pm »

Iv'e got a headache just looking at the electrics......Most impressive though. O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 03:15:53 pm »

The Maiden voyage...
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hama

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:01:07 pm »

Wow, very cool! I want one! Probably wont be long until they build it in scale 1/1 now that you've showed the way.
Hama.

Big Ada

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 05:58:10 pm »

Hi Kevin,
What a lovely Tug.
How did you make the Bow thruster ?.

Len.

ronkh

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 06:23:38 pm »

I have enough problems with 13amp fuses. What chance do I stand with R/Controlling a boat after seeing that?  :'(

Stretch

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:48:42 am »

First I would like to apologize for not responding earlier, I had an issue to deal with this week at work and was pulled away.

Bow thruster is basically a jet drive. Two enclosed high speed propellers enclosed in a compression chamber... sucks water in from the bottom and shoots it out the sides.
This winter I will be working on a more scale unit

Stretch

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 03:52:55 am »

Electronics is easy , I was scared at first however if you take it one step at a time it is simple... not saying I am anywhere close to an expert... I fuddle along as best as possible however sometime you build it once , look at it , throw it into the garbage and do it better the second time...

The whole tug is scratch built so some things have been done more than one to make it work.... There are still allot of things to be done again.

Biggest problem over here in western Canada is that nobody knows what a tug boat is , everyone flies airplanes ... no parts available like you guys have ...

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 03:44:33 pm »

Great looking model
Where in Western Canada?
Have a look at the Tug Forum site as well.

Stretch

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 04:50:35 pm »

still needs all the little bits added ( water and electrical lines , light's , figurine diorama's on the deck , etc ) Once again everything needs to be scratch built as there is little to no scale parts available over here.... which leads to the next question ... Edmonton Alberta ... smack dab between an ocean and a province one over that has allot of lakes ... bit of a fish out of water I guess.... LOL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.