Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warped  (Read 2697 times)

wizard toys

Warped
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:43:59 pm »

Hi

Some time ago I inherited a plank on frame hull about 4ft long for a coaster. I have just sat down to consider building the rest of this model but noticed that the keel has a slight warp - about 2-3mm off line in the middle.

My question is to anyone with experience of this type of thing is the model worth completing or ditching? I would very much like to complete the build but don't want to spend the time/money if it's a right off.

Any thoughts, does any one run slightly warped models  :embarrassed:
Cheers

wizardtoys :-\

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Warped
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:33:03 pm »

It doesn't sound too much but it could be "persuaded" to be warpped back!
Any chance of a photo?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:51:21 pm »

Hi ya there, when you say it is 'Warped' which way - is it twisted from stem to stern as you look down the keel; or, if you sit it on a flat surface = is it bowed in hte middle  - to be honest 2-3 mm is nothing to worry about on a hull 4 feet long.   You will never see it, when the model is completed.

Time to worry is when you finish the model and it cork-screws itself into the water, similar to a submarine   ::) ::) {-)
aye
john e
bluebird

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:52:21 pm »

This would be of interest to me as well as I was recently passed an Aerokits fireboat with the skeleton frame built , however over the decades this appears to have twisted / warped , It was suggested that I soak it in warm water for a bit and then set it in jig to make it true again , would this work ?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:55:59 pm »

..... hi ya.... what you could do, Longbuild, is - if the hull of the aero kit is panelled as in plywood sides/bottom you could build a building board from some suitable chipboard and bracing - secure your wooden framework securely on the build board and then do your plywood outer skin and this should hold the framework true, when released from the buildboard.

Soaking the framework in warm water may cause you more problems than enough - due to the fact of the timber framework swelling and busting joints.

aye
john

wizard toys

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:04:33 pm »

Hi

The hull is pretty much flat, just the slight warp stem to stern when I lay a straight edge along side it the keel deviates the 2-3mm in the middle.  :-\

thanks for the replies

wizard toys ???

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:14:54 pm »

Interestingly, some of the older local shipyard workers always reckoned that ships are designed straight, but have a bend welded into them as they were built.
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 06:20:50 pm »

O0   I did read somewhere that when they built the Esso Hibernia that when she sailed during moderate sea conditions the bow would flex 10 foot up in the air and 10 foot down and twist 5 foot either side of the horizontal & also when they were loading the cargo there was a set procedure - apparently - the centre tanks could not be loaded first - due to the fact that she would bend in the middle.   

So....all you could say is that you have a truly scaled model - it is allowed to twist  O0 :)

aye
John e
bluebird

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 06:43:40 pm »

Hi The long Build,
Do not soak it in water.
It will almost certainly de laminate.

In my experience, most of the early kits I built were not made using waterproof ply.
I could be wrong, but it may ruin what you already have.

I washed the unpainted super structure of a very dusty Sea Commander that I was given, with warm soapy water on  a cloth, and it just fell apart.

The long Build

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 06:56:14 pm »

The hull is pretty much flat, just the slight warp stem to stern when I lay a straight edge along side it the keel deviates the 2-3mm in the middle.  :-\
wizard toys ???
In a way similar to BlueBirds suggestion could you not attach some sort of stringer inside , glue half and then when thats dry bend it back to true and glue and clamp the remaining part, almost similar to a splint.?

Bob, I had not actually thought about the glue , was more concerned that the nails might rust ,but yes do not want it all springing apart.  I have an off cut of thick kitchen topt so would go down the route suggested by Bluebird.

regiment

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 07:20:32 pm »

if you cannot fix it ill take it off your hands i love working with wood ALL MY BOATS ARE MADE OF WOOD   REGIMENT O0

wizard toys

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 02:19:17 pm »

Thanks for the comments, I think I will carry on,  :), if nothing else it will do right hand circles beautifully but more importantly I think I still have a lot to learn from completing this model.

Cheers

wizard toys O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.