Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Dreadnought  (Read 36390 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: HMS Dreadnought
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2010, 01:05:49 am »

Now THAT is wild sweet.

Imagine it coupled to a solid-state compass (I see some for ~$20) that would enable the turrets to "track" whilst the vessel changes heading.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Excellent work.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Capricorn

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »

Andy, it's inspired by you, and Nico.  And the tracking feature is a must O0.  I suppose dreadnought would need 5 independent stepper controllers due to it's unusual layout.  It will be kool %%.  Cap

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:47 pm »

cap,
AWESOME stepping director rig, can you give us a tutorial on the whole enchilada?
PLEASE

Andy, just between us scots, steppers are FREE, and Cap has been using at least one free one (perhaps his fourbears emigrated to the colonies)
floppy disc drives use them for at least one of the functions;  and printers use several of varied types.  I guess that you would be able to "liberate" some printers and drives without too much difficulty

<<Imagine it coupled to a solid-state compass (I see some for ~$20) that would enable the turrets to "track" whilst the vessel changes heading>>
How about building in one of the modren phones or Wii controllers with lota of accelerometers and have the guns maintain elevation too.

-of course for real scale fidelity it should fire (very quickly) shells which fail to explode :embarrassed:
andrew

Capricorn

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2010, 12:46:44 am »

Hi Andrew,  Right now the steppers are connected to a phidget, and that to the laptop via usb plug, so it's not worthy of a tutorial, yet anyway. I haven't a current project for them to go in so it's more of an experiment,  tracking the heading and keeping the elevation would make it a much more interesting experiment for sure.  When and if it ever is I'll post it.  Cap 

Speaking of scots there was an article in our local paper on Saturday featuring your own alexander mccall smith,  whose writing I enjoy very much. 

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/books/91920104.html?elr=KArksD:aDyaEP:kD:aU1ccmiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.