Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Valentino Rossi,... Who's he?  (Read 2937 times)

nhp651

Valentino Rossi,... Who's he?
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:29:47 pm »

now I know who he is, and I have the greatest admiration for him, and his riding, BUT you've got to admit, the bike he rides is a great one that handles well, so really he has it made {-) :D
Not like old SMB, who used to ride bikes that had more flex than an old table lamp cord.................NOW they WERE great riders, and just to give fair crack to the whip, here are some pics I took earlier, of the king himself. ::) ;D O0
Taken at Ameroo Park, NSW, OZ in 1977

andygh

Re: Valentino Rossi,... Who's he?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:56:27 pm »

Rossi is a superb rider and I'm sure if he'd been born in another era he'd still have been world champ

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 11:58:21 pm »

On the contrary he won a championship on the best bike of all, the Honda, but was so p'd off by HMC that he went to the struggling Yamaha team, developed their really rough bike into one he could beat the world on, and is still winning races on one though it's still not the fasteat or best handling. He has totally out-psyched Stoner this season despite the fact that the Duc is a far better and faster bike. For sure, he is one of the greats, and no doubt "very 'appee" about that.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:01:26 am »

Valentino Rossi has been around for years. The consistent riders are offered better seats season after season. Yes there is some luck involved in being with a team that is at the top of the game, but getting into the top teams is not a matter of luck.

Look at F1. Hamilton got his ride with McLaren becuase of his previous driving record. Same for his team mate and the guys driving the 'prancing ponies'.

There have been many greats in the past, and a few who never became world champion. But if they were not good to start with then they would not be remembered. Same about the top riders today.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proteus

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 04:24:52 am »

I don't think you can say he has always had the best bike look at when he moved from Honda to Yamaha , the bike had not won for several years and he dragged it around and won a world championship.

it's interesting to look at his hobbies..

http://www.yamaha-racing.com/Racing/motogp/rider_team/rossi.jsp#

Proteus

das boot

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 07:05:23 am »

Vale is the world's best rider...end of story. He can outride any of the others with worn tyres, that's one of his strengths...he can make the best of any given situation, work out what's going to happen and deal with it before it happens.
He's just blown Nicky Hayden away at Philip Island, knocked an eight second gap down to a pass in three laps...now that's pretty good riding by anyone's standards, even MTB. He was a bl**dy genius, I watched him tame that awful six cylinder Honda, and that took some doing.
Then there's Agostini...Read...Haslam(snr)...Going back further there was Geoff Duke...all top men and I'm thinking, all capable of gving anyone of today's riders a run for their money on comparable machinery.

But for now...Valentino Rossi. Respect....

Rich

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 09:12:27 am »

And Doohan taught him how NOT to fall off the big bikes and Burgess gave him the wheels to win.

Wonder how Sete would have done with Jerry as his pit chief ??
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 09:53:06 am »

I'm glad I stirred a little debate....but now I'll add another ember on the fire.........How many of these so called "top" riders could even keep up with, never mind surpass such riders as Ian Hutchinson, and John Mc Guinness or even attempt to ride the IOM TT course........now they ARE  riders who can lend their hands to all sorts of circuits.
And lest we forget FOGGIE!!!! :D {-) ;D
Still  not the hero that SMB is/was, in my mind. :'( :'(

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 10:06:14 am »

Sheene Didn't

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 01:41:46 pm »

Sheenie DID.......I have a race programme somewhere whith his name in...........but before he made his stand against the FIM with regards to lack of safety at the course......but, indeed he DID race there in his early years.
In fact if my memory serves me correctly he was riding a 350 yam twin in the junior race.

andygh

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 02:36:23 pm »

Road racing & track racing are different sports

Proteus

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 03:01:34 pm »

Valli is doing the Rally GB this year again, the teams where fighting over him he was offed a works drive by ALL the top teams.

Proteus

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 03:20:31 pm »

Sheene Didn't

1971 the year in which Barry Sheene made his only appearance on the Isle of Man. Riding in the Lightweight race on the Suzuki he fell off at Quarter Bridge and retired in the 250cc Production race.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 03:32:23 pm »

cheers Richard.....wrong bike but same race.neil. O0

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 04:29:24 pm »

Yep, should have qualified, Sheene tried but didn't finish, and never came back again, too scary. On the other hand, MTB far excelled Agro, remember him dropping the Augusta on second lap, far ahead of everyone else, pulling into the pits and getting them to remove a plug and cable to one carb, finishing the race on three AND winning it??

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 05:29:13 pm »

The Yamaha was a struggling machine, but with Rossi on board has come on leaps and bounds.  The lad Lorenzo seems to be coming to terms with it as well.  As for the Ducati - Stoner seems to be the only one who can handle it.  It usually figures fastest in the speed trap, the Honda chassis is reckoned by many to be the best handling, and Rossi habitually wins on the Yamaha.  And he is a great showman.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

das boot

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »

And gentlemen, let us not forget the greatest powerslider of them all...Garry McCoy. Who else could could get the 500cc 2 stroke Yamaha completely sideways with the rear tyre spinning round on the rim at well over 150mph whilst dropping down the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca? Who else would dare?

Garry McCoy...ultimate respect.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.