Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tynemodels - Flying Spindrift  (Read 7523 times)

Arminius

Tynemodels - Flying Spindrift
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:25:37 pm »

Hi everyone!

Now that I nearly got convinced to go for a Mobile Marine's Ayton Cross tug, I noticed the Flying Spindrift kit from Tyne Models.  Pretty nice tug as well in the same scale order.  But who has experience with Tynemodels please?  Perhaps in comparison with Mobile Marine Models...?

Here is the link to the Flying Spindrift:  http://www.tynemodels.co.uk/flyingspindrift/flying_spindrift.htm !

Thank you in advance for your opinions or hints.

Arminius   ok2

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tynemodels - Flying Spindrift
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 09:40:34 pm »

A friend of mine bought bought this kit at the Blackpool show and first impressions are very good.
The quality of the F/G mouldings looks excellent - and of course include the superstructure. The fittings are very cleanly moulded in pewter. There seems to be just about everything included. No doubt someone on here will be able to comment on their experiences building one but I just wanted to let you know that looking at "what's in the box" left me with a most favourable opinion.

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:15:33 pm »

Hi Arminius,

I've just about completed Tyne Models 'Alfred' and found it to be just about my favourite tug. As previously stated, the F/G hull and superstructure are superb, but don't expect to find everything you need in the box, they are classed as semi-kits, so you have to do some of the work yourself. One word of warning, as they are all of a decent size, they end up quite heavy when fitted out.

Danny

DaveB

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:40:56 am »

Hi Arminus
I finished building Flying Phantom earlier this year the mouldings by Les are excellent quality as are the pewter fittings i was that impressed i am now building Marlene, only miminal cleaning of the fittings are required.
In the past i have built several of Mobile Marines boats and have had great service from Anne and Brian the main difference is that fibreglass superstructure it really saves time
Dave

Arminius

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 02:30:20 pm »

Thank you all for your comments so far, I've learned from various opinions that both Mobile Marine Models and TyneModels are pretty good, so I guess a tough choice for me then...   %)

hama

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:26:22 pm »

Hi there!
Haven't built either, even though I'd love to some day. Just like to let you know that there was a build review on the Flying Spindrift in the Model Boats kit special edition 2006.
Cheers!
Hama

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:39:47 am »

Hi Arminus
Here is a photo of both tugs that I have built, Ayton Cross/Ormesby Cross and the Flying Spindrift. To be perfectly honest there is no comparison between the two tugs as far as the build goes, the only part that I acquired from MM models was the hull and a set of plans, every thing else on the model I had to scratch build including the superstructure. . The Ormesby Cross/Ayton Cross makes up into a great model but it does take quite a bit longer to build.
Tyne Models Flying Spindrift is a semi kit and includes all fittings; this also makes a great model. I have built all of Tyne Models kits and I haven’t been disappointed with any. At the moment I am building the Flying Phantom which is coming along nicely.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 03:01:30 pm »

Nice looking models - winches & other cast details - where are they from or built by you from stock material?

Great towing/pushing tugs?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 04:27:46 pm »

Any more pictures chipchase.... please?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 05:23:55 pm »

Hi Mike
The winches on the Ormesby where built by me from bits and pieces acquired over the years and other bits done on the lathe. The white metal fittings on the Spindrift are supplied with the kit from Tyne Models, her are a few photos of the winches and a photo of the contents of the Spindrift kit.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 09:41:15 pm »

Nice work!
Thanks for posting the extra photos,
mike

Arminius

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 03:01:12 pm »

Hi Chipchase, thanks for the PICS and comments.  Any reason why you decided to make the Ayton Cross' fittings yourself?  MMM deliver them too, you probably know.  Bad experience perhaps with their fitting?  To be honest, as far as ship is concerned, I like the Ayton Cross most (that's just personal taste).  I do not mind making the superstructure myself, but unlike you and others, I'd have a fit making the winches etc myself.  So I was thinking of buying the Ayton Cross hull/plans and fittings.

Once more, many thanks.  Perhaps anymore pics on your MMM tug?   :-))

Arminius (by the way, Arminius is Latin for Herman)

tubby tomo

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 03:54:38 pm »

hi ive had no complaints at all chris as allways been helpfull to me ive got the ironsider & the crosby very good strong models :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.