Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How scale are MB-attached plans?  (Read 2477 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
How scale are MB-attached plans?
« on: August 30, 2006, 11:32:58 am »

Hi Folks, now I have to come up with a question:
White Ensign Junior (my son) wants to do as a next boat one out of scratch. He is fascinated by fast Navy Models, though he decided to build a Higgins boat. The plan (by G. Guest) was attached recently in the Model-Boats mag. I am aware that it is a semi-scale model, but how close does it goes to be a Scale model? Can the hull be taken as close to scale or just something which gives just the appearance of the origin, without any claim to catch up the ratios of the origin?
Any experience with it?

Thankyou in advance,
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How scale are MB-attached plans?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:59:39 pm »

Hi W E,

How recent is this plan.

There was one a year or so ago that was incorrectly printed with regard to hull on deck size. I think the hull was wider than the deck, and they did print an up date in the following issue. I think the model was only a representation. There is another one available a bit more recent, that is nearer to the original. I can't remember exact details but I will try and find out if no one else responds before then.

Bob

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 01:24:32 pm »

Hi Bob- the one I have meant was about 3 or 4 months ago....
But thankyou for your reply anyway  :)

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:08:34 pm »

Hi Again,

Probably not the one you are referring to either, but there was a nice free plan of a Higgins series 200 78 foot PT boat by Peter Miller. Not sure which magazine this was from, ( Model Boats or MMI) but a friend of mine built one and he said the plan was very accurate from a building point of view. It does include a compound curve on the bow as per the original boat, so requires  planking from keel to chine. I have not had any boat magazines this year, so it must be from last year. I'm sure someone else out there will be able to quote  magazine and date for you to have a look. It's 755 mm long.

Regards Bob

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 02:41:38 pm »

Hi again again,

Just remembered that I bought a few of this years MB mags at an exhibition last month. Had a quick look, and  think I found the boat/plan you are referring to. Looks good though.

It was the June 2006 edition with a free plan of a Miami 'Crashboat'

Regards Bob

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 06:05:19 pm »

For your interest I supply a Higgins PT kit at 1/24 , that is 39" long . If you are interested please contact me on johnrhaynes.shipmodels@virgin.net

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 07:49:33 am »

Bob- WOW? That long ago????? Oh dear...... I am really a member of the GOGS- section. And it was just last week when I was listening to the Queens silver jubilee.....   ;D

John, thankyou for your tip about the kit. The trouble is that this young guy is the same stubborn lad like me and he want it to do scratch..  ::) Though he has to make his experiences and hopefully suceed with it. And (don`t get me wrong), it is a step in the next generation how to build boats.
But you are not out of mind! If he don`t succeed with it- we will join your kit!

Jörg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.