Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wipers on warships WW2  (Read 1860 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Wipers on warships WW2
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »

Might sound a bit crazy- but there are no stupid questions, just answers... (so they use to say)

Did Minesweepers (i.e. Round Table Class Sir Lancelot) have had wipers at the windows on their bridges? If yes, which type? Round or flat?

I came along with that by doing the bridge of my Lancelot and I wonder if there had been any wipers?

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: Wipers on warships WW2
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 06:04:50 pm »

Hi Jorg
When I went to sea in the mid fifties the ships (merchant) had a Kent Clear View Screen ie the spinning disc and that was it. Wipers came in at a later date. One tramp also had a big wiper that was hand powered but I don't think that was common. Possibly it was the same in the 'Grey Funnel Line' ?
best regards
MikeK

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 07:53:43 am »

Hmmmm, Mike- though you think that two spinning-discs might be o.K. for the Sir Lancelot?
I ever thought thta the spinning disc came after the wiper.....- well, I think I proved myself wrong!

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:36:41 am »

Could be, Jorg. Don't forget that open bridges were not uncommon before the war (when men were men and all that jazz !) The tramp ship I was apprentice on had two fixed windows, one of them containing the Kent screen and all the others were exactly like the old railway carriages ie drop down with a leather punched strap to adjust the height. When it rained heavily the 'Old Man' got the Kent screen and you got your oilies on and went out on to the bridge wing and got wet !!
As an aside from that, I recently came across my apprentice indentures and have framed them (they are above my head now). My first YEAR wages were £110 rising after 4 years to the princely sum of £190. The ship's cat was better paid than apprentices then !
Arrh Jim Lad, now where did I put that cabin boy  :'( :'(
 best regards
MikeK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.