Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug speed controller advice needed  (Read 2676 times)

stevext

Tug speed controller advice needed
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:57:22 pm »

Hi All
Go Easy - a newbie question,i've recently bought a tug hull off fleabay (33x9") and bought a graupner speed 720bb torque motor for it driving a single 60mm brass 4 blade prop in a kort nozzle.I dont ned blistering performance obviously and its for my lad as well but any recommendations for drive battery and speed controller?.A reasonable run time would be good so i'm  thinking gel cell?...........

many thanks

stevext

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Tug speed controller advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:25:28 pm »

Stevext,
The performance figures for your motor are:

Specification

Nominal voltage 12 V
Operating voltage range 6 ... 13 V
No-load rpm 4100 min–1
No-load current drain 0,75 A
Current drain at max. efficiency 3 A
Current drain when stalled 13,5 A
Max. efficiency without gearbox 75 %
Length of case, excl. shaft 72 mm
Diameter 44,5 mm
Free shaft length 6,5 mm
Shaft diameter 5 mm
Weight 380 g

I would use a 12volt 7 ah gel cell, but please check the available space and weight including room to get the battery in and out of the model, or if not enough room or weight a 12 volt 5 Ah battery.

The speed controller of my choice would be a:

P80 CONDOR 20/2' AUTOSET Computer SPEED CONTROLLER from ACTion, the advert is on the forum page.
And fused at 10 amps
This will need a separate 6 volt receiver pack.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

stevext

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:20:49 pm »

Cheers Bob

I'll have to take a look at the gel cells at the local model shop..............

stevext

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:26:54 pm »

Stevext this company excellent service and dammed cheap as well

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/index.html

As regards a running time I have a Tid tug with that motor in I use 2 x 12 12amp batts in it and I get on average 16hrs running from the pair,in other words I charge batts once a month!!!!!!Reason for the big batts is simple ballast!!

Stavros

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:25:59 am »

I am with you there Stavros , i have a pair of 12v 12a in my tug (brakengarth) ,although i dont have a 720bb in and i have a M.M.M old heavy duty motor in turning a 90mm prop in kort i only have to charge every now and again ,very efficient but the batterys are good ballast.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:15:16 am »

Steve
While I'll happily go with the guys' suggestion of a sealed lead-acid battery, that hull isn't very big to carry two socking great big 12AH lumps! I originally put two 6v x 10AH SLA batteries in my Al Khubar and it was well too low in the water. That motor draws about half the square root of Sweet Fanny Adams in terms of current, so a 7AH x 12v battery will last a heck of a long time. Don't be tempted to go lower than 12v for the 720BB Torque, though, as it's not particularly speedy as it is.
As regards a suitable speed controller, I couldn't possibly comment.............. %) but Shipmate 60 is in the right territory!
FLJ

offshore1987

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:11:26 pm »

Hi

You can get bigger 12v batts at maplins helps with the weight and you only will need one lol  :-)) plus if you cant get it in and out of the model just fit the batt then stick the deck on  ok2 ( thats what i do with my tito ) the batts wouldnt fit through the hole so i built them in

All the best

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:58:22 am »

If you dont want to pay full price for your bat's then do like me and have a friendly word with your local mobility shop they often have a few ones that they have replaced ,they tend to replace them when their efficiency fall's below 70% ,so for your average tug thats still a lot of power and long run time and ballast .
I called at the local tip the other day and scrounged a pair of what i believed was 24v bat's ,turns out when i took them from their fancy zipper bags they were 12v 20a and a quick voltage test showed 11.5 /11,7 volts . Two days later on charge and the were only drawing 0.07a and the voltage was nearly 13v,not bad for free.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.