Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfix / Humbrol in Adminstration.  (Read 16209 times)

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
Airfix / Humbrol in Adminstration.
« on: August 31, 2006, 08:27:43 am »

Just heard this on the news when driving into work - Humbrol (who own Airfix and Heller) have gone into administration. Checked the Airfix website, but nothing posted on there to this effect.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Humbrol in Adminstration
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:10:14 am »

Mits, lets wait and see. The Dead-said people even live longer. Same had happended in Germany to Märklin, Liliput, Multiplex and they all had come up again.
Even if the word administration sounds awfull, much too early to play the dead-mans-song. Could just be a reaction to fullfill a law for having some financial problems. And therefor they need to do it- but could lead to a renewal as well.
Time will tell......

But thanks for the information anyway!  :)

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 09:14:51 am »

Not wishing to put another nail in the coffin but has anyone seen their new Acrylic range yet? my local model shop has not heard of it?

Daryl

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:53:39 am »

Apparently Heller themselves went into Administration in July - they actually make all the Aitfix kits. The French Administrators will not allow the release of the moulds, as they are an asset.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 10:44:06 am »

No comment about the "Global Players", guided by the Eurocrats in Brussel. I wonder if they realise that the "Play" is not a Bl*** Monopoly-game- this is real life with men and fates behind. Though there is no "Insert Coin" when you fail in your economical-responsibility...
This leads me now back to my comment in the GOGS-thread: "What is running up my nose".   >:(

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:44:02 am »

The future for Humbrol/airfix doesnt look bright, if this article is correct:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402998&in_page_id=1770

ambernblu

Re: Humbrol in Adminstration ???
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:26:09 pm »

.... doesn't sound too good does it? My guess is (if it comes to it) that the Humbrol paint range will be split and sold as a separate lot - its too valuable a range to be lost. So if Humbrol actually does go down, I reckon the paints will certainly rise again under a different ownership - and maybe also the kits (OK so when the moulds/tooling etc can be released!)

I'm basing the above specifically on the recent Lima scenario - Hornby bought them and are this year due to release ex-Lima locos and rolling stock etc under the Hornby name (having upgraded some of the tooling in the process!) To be honest this sort of thing has been a regular routine in the model railway world with supposedly year on year falling interest etc (not so currently!) - you can trace the current Hornby heritage back to its Meccano days... and when you think that Bachmann are producing ex palitoy owned mainline locos etc and Hornby and Dapol are producing ex Airfix (remember GMR?) railway stuff....

But theres no smoke without fire though is there?  ;)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:34:54 pm »

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 03:38:20 pm »

Its been on the ITV news. The receivers are looking for buyers. Any offers??

Richard
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 03:51:55 pm »

Perhaps they should put them on Ebay ????

:D

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 06:55:56 pm »

Is the heller company that they are talking about the one that sells all the lights and lenses for cars...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 07:34:39 pm »

Nope,

Roy, the light people are " Hella"

http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaCOM/WebSite/HellaCOM.jsp

They are not related to Heller

Steve ;)

Halley

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 09:16:37 pm »

I remember that there was an earlier post to the effect that Humbrol paints were going to be discontinued soon anyway - something to do with it not meeting new European Health & Safety legislation?

I wouldn't bank on them continuing under another name.  They have probably ceased production and will now call it a draw permanently?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 01:26:04 pm »

Found this on BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5304780.stm

Oh dear!

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 01:40:04 pm »

heard on local radio station this morning the Hornby were thinking of bidding for Airfix don't know how true it was
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 04:28:19 pm »

I think it would be a good thing if Hornby did bid. In past collapses of model companies the best moulds are kept andthe rest sold off to far east or soviet bloc firms like Biek, ICM, Eastern Express. Bikek in their range has lots of old Airfix kits like the Westland Wirlwind, Henschel HS125 etc. I don't know if the bought the moulds or liecensed them. Remember the Frog carve up!

Daryl

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 04:45:17 pm »

Remember the Frog carve up!

Ugh! Legs everywhere....  Anyone know if the HMS Exeter kit was ever reissued. I would have liked another one as I always admired the ship after my Dad took me to see the "Battle of the River Plate" when it first came out (ulp!)

ambernblu

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 05:04:48 pm »

... yep, dreadful - I certainly don't want to be reminded of the dissection of frogs in Biology lessons thanks!  ;D

But Colin's right about Exeter - a lovely warship (her sister by contrast, York, is quite ugly) I picked up the Airfix kit from a Wargames bring and buy stall - still not built it as I intended to use it to assist in building a bigger R/C model - still not done that either....  :D

Guess I know all the words in that film off by heart. (Now is that sad or what  :( ) Exeter was a Colony class wasn't she - or a Swiftsure, can't remember, but Achilles played herself as i recall. Shame about the Yankee 8" gunned Cruiser masquerading as Graf Spee - ever noticed the bit in the film where they even justified Graf Spee having the large white numbers at her bows!!  ;D Mean of the yanks not to paint them out - oh and remove a turret?  ;D

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 05:12:20 pm »

heard on local radio station this morning the Hornby were thinking of bidding for Airfix don't know how true it was

its true :)
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 05:27:33 pm »

Mean of the yanks not to paint them out - oh and remove a turret? 

Or blow it up at the end  ;D

Quite right about the Colony class portaying Exeter Brian:

- Ships used in the film:

HMS Sheffield as HMS Ajax
INS Delhi (formerly HMNZS Achilles) as HMNZS Achilles (only had 3 turrets in the film though)
HMS Cumberland as HMS Cumberland (but in her post war test ship rig with no big guns!)
Heavy Cruiser USS Salem as the German pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee
HMS Jamaica as HMS Exeter.
HMS Birmingham was used as a camera ship.
The supply ship Altmark was played by the fleet oiler Olna.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 05:36:57 pm »

This Humbrol mess must be pretty serious as it made the evening news in Tasmania over here in Australia, guess we will just have to wait and see.>>

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

ambernblu

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 05:43:15 pm »

Thanks Colin - amazing eh!  ;)

I forgot about the Cumberland (yep, no guns if you look closely - fat lot of good then after steaming (in a-n-t-i-cipation mind you!) all the way from the Falklands  ;D

Didn't know about the Olna or HMS Birmingham either... interesting.

Most memorable bit of the film is the Commodore (or has he just been promoted to rear Admiral?) showing his Cabin blasted to bits (along with his set of golf clubs!) .... saying something like 'one Knight Commander of the Bath, and two Companions of the bath and not a bloody single bath tub between us...!  :D

You know what they say - little things.....!

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 08:58:18 pm »

The Frog HMS Exeter is being issued by a Russian firm ( Isveta I think), they pop up on Ebay regularly. My son built one last year when we saw one in a model shop at Weymouth. Hannants I beleive list it. The moulds have detereorated since the Frog days, the deck is warped along with several other fittings, lots and lots of flash, a few miss-shapen bits of plastic that may resemble fittings, and the usual fit problems. It is a challenge to build and make a good job of it.

The kit depecits Exeter after her re-fit after the Battle of The River Plate just before she set out on her last mission. To get her in the River Plate condition requires some surgury and filler which the kits needs to build it anyway! The scale is odd to and nothing like the scale on the box.

I too am afan of the film and was glad when it was realeased on DVD as by that time I had wore out 2 videos.

Daryl

ambernblu

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 07:16:19 am »

Sorry guys, .... oops, just been looking for my Exeter kit and its a Matchbox 1/700th waterline model.... must be me getting old. I do remember fighting someone off at the time to get to it on the stand! Paid £2.00 for it and its all there too.  ;D  Cheers, Brian

ambernblu

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 08:22:26 am »

...There is an interesting report on the Model Rail Express mag site this morning regarding Hornby's interest in Humbrol/Airfix.

http://www.mremag.demon.co.uk/hpsite/index.htm

Scroll down to Monday 04/09/06 and then to 'Airfix in Trouble'....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.