Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfix / Humbrol in Adminstration.  (Read 16210 times)

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
Re: Humbrol in Adminstration ???
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 05:17:43 pm »

It's been interesting to hear and read journalists recalling their days building Airfix kits with their dads. One recurring theme seems to be that they found difficulties putting the kits together sometimes and couldn't complete the model as shown on the box. They must be thick! It's not rocket science!
Or does a tale about glueing the propellor to the pilots' head while building a Spitfire make for a more humourous story for the punters?
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

warspite

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 05:47:41 pm »

Other than shooting up the damaged ones with an air rifle, some of the aircraft, most of the tanks etc still exist in the loft, some ertl trucks and space vessels are also up there, found a couple of unbuilt matchbox harriers for an aircraft carrier i was planning to build in 82 and a large puma (not the bodmoor one), funny how the best laid plans etc

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 10:42:07 pm »

Back in the days of coal fires, my old or damaged Airfix planes would mysteriously crash land into the coals, where they would spectacularly burst into flames!

Neil

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2006, 08:21:49 am »

Have been in two of my favourite model-shops yesterday. One is still holding the whole range of Humbrol-colours, the other one keeps colours by "Model-Master" since a view years. I asked them why: They told me that the responsible Humbrol- salesman never (or badly) answered their requests. Though they changed to Model-Master anyway.
Though the question is obvious: Was it a "bad" service which lead to a "Go-down" in business-figures? Or was it just a "matter of time", being held by a foreign company? I was distraught reading about the administration of Humbrol and airfix, as the kits had been a part of my childhood. And I think that the virus of modeling was placed by their kits.....

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 09:01:43 am »

My local model shop had a similar tale about Humbrol, thier main complaint was that they had to order a large quantity of paint. regular smaller orders would have suited them better as if they run out of a particular colour then it can be months before they get some more as they wait for other shades to run out.

They also didn't like the range of railmatch paints as the screw top often broke on the jar, Tamiya also came in for a bit of flak in the large amount of paint they had to order, but not so much as Humbrol.

Daryl

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 10:57:30 pm »

One of my local model shope tells the same story about Humbrol reps.
Shame, but he changed to Revel paints about a year ago.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ron h

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 11:28:55 pm »

I only use White Ensign Model,s paint these days, ::) ::)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 05:21:11 am »

I was informed by a model shop owner that there has been five companies put in prices to buy Humbrol and Airfix, So they may well survive yet...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 07:50:42 am »

Ron- did I have delivered any paints to you???  ;D
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

ambernblu

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 07:57:45 am »

My son managed to pick up the 5 Humbrol colours I needed (3 single tinlets and two doubles) without any problems just this weekend. As I understood our local model shop, the Administrators are allowing vans into Humbrol's warehouse in Southampton to load up with the stock that is sitting there - obviously creditors still need paying in the meantime until they get a buyer. Cheers, Brian

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 02:57:47 pm »

The two model shops I was in today had plenty of paint in stock and both said there was still no problems buying more.....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 07:46:24 pm »

I can assure everyone that all companies, not just Humbrol, make it very difficult for any store or business venture, to order in small amounts fo stock. Nearly every wholesaler has a 'minimum order' requirement and many wont ship goods where the order is less than, say, £50.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 08:17:25 pm »

This reminds me on a joke I have heard a while ago...

There was this lad, joining on a Friday eve a Sex-shop, buying a gros of condoms. On Monday morning he returned, claiming to the clerk that there had been just 138 in.

"Beg your pardon, Sir", stated the clerk and passed him the 6 condoms, "I don`t have known that we spoiled your weekend...."

Well, if a shop just passes orders for 10 or 20 cans that`s obvious, but if it is a regular customer I may send him the wanted items, collecting his orders and bills together. I wonder what the problem is with that..... here it is a ususal practice for well-known customers...
Don`t make business more difficult as it use to be..

Jörg

Aston

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 08:54:00 pm »

It's worth noting that if you go on the Airfix website, try the shop section and you get

The shop is temporarily closed.
The owner has closed the shop while the stock information is being updated. The site should be open again shortly. Please come back soon.

Try the Forum and and you get

It is with regret that we are no longer able to support the on-line AIRFIX Forums.

Everything else on the AIRFIX website remains the same.

We will continue to update the site with news and new releases.

Hope they sort it out soon, I have two of the 1:72 Severn Class Lifeboats on order that were due out in October ( latest of a long line of revised dates !)

Aston

Daryl

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 09:14:14 pm »

My model shop complained that both Humbrol/Airfix and Tamiya with their paints had a high minimmum order value/quantity and with Humbrol lost interest in thecustomer if they put in what they thought small orders and then failing to deliver on time. The constant late deliveries was a big complaint of theirs along with the apathywhenthey tried to case up the order.

Lets hope whoever takes over sorts the mess out quickly. guess we shall not see the 1/48 Canberra or Nimrod, pity.....

I take it liking aeroplanes on this forum is Heressey.

Daryl

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 08:39:30 am »

Hoping the best...... and expecting the worst.

SailorFred

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2006, 11:28:36 am »

OK, if Humbrol doesn't resurrect itself, what are the practical alternatives?

(Quality, consistency, range of colours etc.)

George Turner Models

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2006, 11:41:22 am »

We use Citadel paints for our figures which are available from Games Workshop - George actually prefers these to Humbrols.
Sharon

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2006, 02:16:25 pm »

I may be trying to look on the bright side, but for most modelling in the uk Humbrol is the choice paint, Wont some paint company buy Humbrol?

SailorFred

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2006, 07:24:58 pm »

Under normal circumstances a buy-out would be likely, but there have been rumours that the product doesn't fully comply with EC Regulations and would probably have been discontinued anyway?

If that is the case, it's unlikely that a buyer would come forward.

Fred

Daryl

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2006, 09:42:14 pm »

I heard from a industry source that they were discontinuing the enamel due to the RoHS regulations and introducing their acrylic range which unlike the last time could be airbrushed. This was supposed to happen now so the formula and production line should be ready or nearly so any potential buyer should have this resource as part of the package.

My self I use Tamiya or Revell and for large areas Halfords car paint.

Hopefully things will get sorted out quickly.

I notice in the Bieck range there is some old Airfix kits like the Blom and Voss bomber the Henschel HS125 etc. I wonder if they bought the moulds or liecences them. If so I wonder if they are interested in whats left???

Daryl

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2006, 04:40:09 pm »

Next month's MMI carries information about the launch of Humbrol's new acrylic range ;D

Barrie

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2006, 08:49:51 pm »

Next month's MMI carries information about the launch of Humbrol's new acrylic range ;D

Barrie

That shows how longthe magstake in preparation - hardly the daily news :(
Don't Assume Check

Pointy

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2006, 12:02:22 am »

So long Airfix and Humbrol, I won't miss you at all.
There are plenty of other model companies out there doing just fine and not making excuses about playstations. Adults also like to model but Aifix so basic, nasty soft plastic, poor detail- compare to Tamyia or Trumpter kit, so much better than anything Airfix used to churn out. More toy like than model. Doesn't matter how many times you release a product in a new box- same old tired mouldings. Heller also poor- its not just the huge plastic railings in their ship kits- its basic things lilke the 1/400 Sharnhorst having the wrong dimentions for its hull. As for humbrol- nasty watery reactive stuff. To watery to paint with, to lumpy to spray! What are we paying for- the tin? Don't worry and don't get all misty eyed about the companies of your childhood- time to move on to better things!

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2006, 01:08:43 am »

Disagree Pointy !
    Yes your right kits were not top quality but they probably made everyone on this forum into the modellers they are today good bad and in some cases absolutely brilliant ! They will be missed most of all because it was ( pocket money terms ) so cheap to buy one and find out if modelling was for you - for the life of me I could not recomend a kit to a kid that cost say less than £10 that would give as much pleasure as those pocket money kits did when I was younger !

cheers rats
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.