Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfix / Humbrol in Adminstration.  (Read 16331 times)

Daryl

Re: Humbrol in Adminstration ???
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2006, 09:47:22 am »

I tend to agree with Pointy, my son prefers to model Tamiya or Hasegawa as they have better detail in 1/700 than the Heller/Airfix kits. I tend to read some of the on-line reviews of the aircraft kits and the underlieing opionion is that Airfix kits does contain more than their share of errors.

But having said that they did produce some unique kits, their HMS Belfast is quiete good and the only constructional  hic-up is the bridge, as per normal with the Airfix stuff out with the scalpel/ filler.

I do hope however they will continue in some form or other and the new owners invest in the moulds to improve fit etc. This I know is very costly but it is well over due.

As anyone done the maths on the Airfix TSR3, limited to a 10k production run, retailed at £15, I can't see how they covered their
production and development costs let alone made a profit. With this buisness acumen I'm not surprised they folded.

Daryl

Pointy

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2006, 10:59:33 am »

Respect to you rats but consider,

Yes, Airfix was a great introduction to modeling.....20 or 30 years ago. It would be better to introduce a new person to the hobby with a modern quality item to get them 'hooked' rather than put off when parts break easily on the spruce, melt with any excess glue or simply don't fit right- Aifix are cheap and it shows.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2006, 02:27:47 pm »

POINTY,

Mate you have a good point there, as a young fellow a couple of days ago I had a good supply of Airfix kits hanging everywhere and on shelves, and I  would bet that probably 80 percent of kids from my era also started with Airfix, maybe we do not really remember whether they were in actual fact correct as  they should have been, but they served a purpose of sparking an interest, but the point you made that maybe better quality kits would serve the modern society that we have now better...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Pointy

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2006, 10:49:19 pm »

Of course its Airfix's fault it has happened.

Why were they in such a weakend state to be taken over by Heller in the first place? Shall we look at their nearest contempory Revell? They are about the same age, European and are going strong. They diversified, their kits are high quality and popular. Its poor management and its the workers who suffer- look what happened to another British company, Rover- just how many body kits could they dress up that ancient 25 in? They were given money to develope new models but how did management spend it- on a racing team for goodness sake! Is there anything we still make in this country?

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2006, 11:07:36 pm »

Some how, I wish I never started this thread.  :-\

Pointy

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2006, 11:09:03 pm »

You say "no offence" but your last post was very rude, by the way the patriotic card is a pathetic way to argue the merits of any company. You are right of course right, I am not an 'expert' on Airfix but how can anybody make any comment on anything with your line of reasoning. I am just as frustrated as you about the situation, who the hell wants to see another U.K company go down but it has and it did so because of among other things better competition.

Insulting strangers will do nothing to change the situation psships, Moderated.

With respect

Pointy.

Pointy

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2006, 11:16:12 pm »

Your childish behaviour will be reported to the moderator.

Moderated.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2006, 04:20:47 am »

I've Moderated this thread as fairly as possible I hope!.....

I'm putting down the strong words, to the unusually warm weather at the moment, weekend beer, a touch of sun and fond or bitter memories of Airfix kits and getting glue on the bed spread..... and mum going mad.

Lets not let it get personal, we're all entitled to own opinions... no matter how wrong I am.  ::)

It's a pity to see Airfix / Humbrol in trouble, hopefully something good can come out of it.

Martin - Mayhem.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.