Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bit confused!!!  (Read 5299 times)

wildchild

bit confused!!!
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:58:23 pm »

As above and sorry if in wrong section so here goes, Went to model shop today to get propshaft/odds n ends for the javelin/Irvine 61 engine so i took them with me just to show em what i wanted and he took one look at the engine and hull and said 'are you putting that in there,that motor would power a boat 2-3 times the size of the javelin very fast too' he also said i would need a race shaft+solid rubber/pivoting steel coupling but then advised me to go down the electric motor route which to be honest i think it would take the challenge out of it. but what i need to know would it work and too much power be a problem,could i increase the weight to stop it flipping. but I've been  thinking about what the missus said when i got back n she said i was going to call it 'wildchild' so I'm thinking POWER IS GOOD anyway sorry to bore you all and thanks for your help

Gaz 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: bit confused!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 12:15:52 am »

Hi Gaz,

I'm afraid you may have been advised by someone that has little experience with this type of kit......
Just looked up the specs on the JAVELIN MODEL BOAT kit:
"Dynamic styling and offshore performance to match are the Hallmarks if the JAVELIN
Its timber and ply construction will stand up to arduous racing conditions.
Suitable for single or twin electric or IC up to 10cc contact us for our reduced fittings prices

Length 38 1/2" (977mm) - Beam 10 3/4" (273mm)"

A few things:
1. Do you have somewhere to run an IC boat? (Not many around these days!)
2. Although it's up to 10cc IC is right at the top end of the power range as engine are much more powerful than
     when this kit was designed 30 years ago but you don't have to run it flat out all the time!
3. The parts the shop recommended sound sort of correct, you can get them from Prestwich - http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/
4. Build as per instructions and be very mindful of the CofG.
5. You're right, going electric won't be as much fun (and I would say, considerably more expensive!)
6. This the coupling you should use (if using a solid prop shaft)...

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wildchild

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:39:46 am »

thanx for your quick reply martin much appreciated and i've just bought shaft n couping off ebay just hope they are the the right ones (same one as your pic) oh n google lake vyrnwy n look at that baby (lol)

gaz n ray

wildchild

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:49:12 am »

just clicked the link you gave me and its them i've bought them off on ebay how strange

gaz

supersonic

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:06:16 pm »

Hi Gaz,I think the boat your building is a similar hull shape to the Prestwich Challenger 38". My Challenger is powered by an old IRVINE 61
You will find it under sports liesure boats on page2 of CHALLENGER 38.Hope this is of some help.
Any questions please ask !
Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 06:06:58 pm »

Should be fine,

Is it the irvine sport engine or the 'R' (race)

Race would overpower it, but a sport would be ok

And you do have a left thumb for a reason :-))

wildchild

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 06:36:25 pm »

thanx for that dave/martin very helpfull. dave what engine mount have you used in the challenger and what fuel/mix would you recommend for running in then normal running. sorry for all the stupid questions but like i said i've not got a clue on boats thanx

gaz

wildchild

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:41:24 pm »

Should be fine,

Is it the irvine sport engine or the 'R' (race)

Race would overpower it, but a sport would be ok

And you do have a left thumb for a reason :-))

afaik its the sport(thats whats on the box) n whats the reason for me having a left thumb when i'm right handed lol

gaz

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 11:03:24 pm »

thanx for that dave/martin very helpfull. dave what engine mount have you used in the challenger

You might not be able to use the same type of engine mount in the Javelin as it a wooden hull and the Challenger, which is GRP.
Can you post a photo of the plans and we can see what's what.

wildchild

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 10:44:10 am »

thanx martin will take some pics 2nite if i can find lead to camera and upload them asap :-))

gaz

supersonic

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 10:47:28 am »

Gaz, My engine mounts are all rubber. I also have a wood built Huntsman 34" This has a hardwood block epoxied into the hull topped with aluminium plate which the rubber mounts are bolted to . The engine is a leo 46. If you can mount your engine on rubber you will get smoother running (make sure your driveline is perfectley lined up with the engine !) As for fuel I use 10% Nitro but always loosen the glowplug for starting.
see attachments for mounts

Dave.

wildchild

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 11:04:41 am »

yes i think i get what u mean. :o WoW how clean is you wooden boat i'm in 2 minds to put pics up now cos mines a right mess with glue everywhere n gaps lol

thanx gaz

supersonic

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 11:21:04 am »

Gaz,The huntsman was put together completely with Cascamite wood glue, the same as the one I built 30 years ago and I have never had anything come apart  :-) :-)

Dave

wildchild

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 11:56:20 am »

Is that what glue i should using but i did get some araldite clear instant that you mix together would that be good enough

gaz

supersonic

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 12:24:30 pm »

Gaz,Cascamite is a water based wood glue that dries clear and waterproof but I dont think it is available anymore.
There are dozens of similar products on the market, It's just your personal choice
Dave.

Proteus

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 12:37:30 pm »

supersonic

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 12:56:25 pm »

There you go. O0 You have only to ask a question and somebody on this Forum will have a helpfull or constructive answer.
thanks Proteus.
Dave.

wildchild

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 03:25:20 pm »

thanx lads you have been a massive help n no dougt i will be calling on you all again in the not too distant future if you dont mind :embarrassed:, martin i havent found my camera lead yet so cant put any pix up ::) . sorry if my typing falls into text talk but i txt quite alot n its a hard habit to get out of on a keybourd %%

gaz

Supersonics Son

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 08:02:50 pm »

There you go. O0 You have only to ask a question and somebody on this Forum will have a helpfull or constructive answer.
thanks Proteus.
Dave.

Humm Yes but not from me.......he he  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.