Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Run Time  (Read 2636 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Run Time
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:28:04 pm »

Can anyone give me a rough idea on the running time I might expect from a Revell Flower class fitted with a Deans Marine Kyte motor, 6 volt nicad. Marine 5 speed controller and 2 channel RC.

Just roughly and in words of one syllable please.

Want to know whether to wear wellies or swimming trunks on maiden voyage.

Cheers Richard
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: Run Time
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 07:32:49 pm »

I would think you will get better than an hour, but I am only guessing by going on what I have..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 10:25:26 am »

What capacity is the battery.
But I wouldnt worry, usually a min of an hour, or more depending on battery capacity.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 12:10:26 pm »

Forget the nicad's and slip in two 6v 4Ah jell cells and get over 8 hours sailing time.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 03:50:25 pm »

Richard,
I'm not familiar with that 'Kyte' motor's current draw so can't say how long it would run on that battery.  I can give you a very rough 'ball-park' way of estimating it though.  It means you need to know the  maximum current draws of the motor and prop set up.  And the capacity of the battery used to power the thingy.  That means that you'd have to measure the motor's current draw with an amp-meter, at full throttle.  Not really that difficult, just different (if you happen to have the ampmeter, otherwise a real P.I.T.A. - lol).
Once you know the current draw at full power, divide the battery's capacity (Ah or mAh rating) by the current draw.  That gives the run time in hours (or fractions of an hour).  The actual run time is going to be slightly less than that figure due to resistance and friction in the drive set up.  So, factoring in a 'fudge factor', something on the order of about 5 - 10% less than the 'paper' figures, will give you an average run time at max throttle.  How accurate is that?  Oh, about 1 or 2 decimal places (not saying which 'side' of the decimal point that ends up on - lol).
The only other way I know of is by finding someone who also has your model and drive set up and asking them about their run time.
 - 'Doc

PS - The 'quick-n-dirty' way of extending run time is with a battery with a larger 'Ah'/'mAh' rating.  The only problems with that is that sometimes batteries of that size will sink the boat, or just won't fit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 23 queries.