Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cut and Stick -if you are old enough!  (Read 15306 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Cut and Stick -if you are old enough!
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2006, 08:17:51 am »

Hmmm- I have found once on an second-hand bookstore something similar to the foresaid Barrack-room-ballads. It is a book about the story of a Commander on a Torpedoboat in WW1, his name was Cpt. Taffrail.... anybody heard about that? As far as I remember it was printed in the late 20`s, early 30`s
... got to get it out of the bookshelf and read it again.....
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2006, 08:21:47 am »

Sorry Colin - think I said to you before, but my favourite county has to be Devon!

Can't just hop in the car and be there in 20 minutes then?  ;)

Devon's certainly got a lot going for it though.

Regarding Rick's comment about this thread having travelled a long way from it's original course, I would imagine that there are a good many Mayhemers who would empathise with Kipling's "nautical" poems, especially those like "The Destroyers".

ambernblu

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2006, 08:23:39 am »

Hi Jorg..

That sounds like a book after my own heart - is it in English - or Deutsch?

The book I mentioned is a famous compliation of Kipling's poetry - the 'Barrack Room' being essentially that of the English soldier in the days of the British Raj.... 'a servin' of her Majesty the Queen'!!  ;)

Cheers, Brian

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2006, 08:33:01 am »

Brian, it was translated into German, but I need to have a look of the title of the origin. I think they have mentioned it in the cover....
It`s german title was "Verdammte Nordsee" (Damned North-sea in English).
Also this Captain claimed, that the RN had lost in WW1 more torpedo-boats and Destroyers in heavy weather as by the enemy. Not hard to recon if you imagine an early torpedoboat or a destroyer in rough weather with sea 6 wind 7 Beaufort....
Will have a look anyway as I have a couple of books bought in charity-shops due to my visits in the UK.
Also one of my favourites is the Hornblower or the other series.... (still can`t remember the name- it was a young captain due to the sail-period about 1800... was it starting with "B"?).... dammit Alzy.......
Jörg

P.S.: The wealds of Kent are my favourite  ;)
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2006, 08:33:12 am »

his name was Cpt. Taffrail

Taffrail was Captain Taprell Dorling , a Naval writer who published both fiction and non fiction in the interwar period and, I think, up to the 1940s. Many of his books dealt with naval experiences in small ships in WW1. I used to read some of his stuff as a boy when it was in our local library. Plenty of his books still available, just Google on Taffrail or Captain Taprell Dorling .

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2006, 08:34:30 am »

Colin- you`re an ornament!!!!!!!!  :D
Thanks- will have a look!

ambernblu

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2006, 08:35:10 am »

Colin, no unfortunately not 20 minutes (I wish!)  :D

Until about 3 years ago I was driving down there approx every other weekend - got it down to about 5 and a half hours, but that was setting off from here about 5.15am saturday morning - and I would be driving around Paignton ring road at about 10.45. Not so good in the summer months - I left saturday morning once and it took me 8 hours to get home - most of the delay was just nose to tail stuff from Torquay to Bristol, not so bad after that.  :o

I'm determined to take a certain model boat down to Devon (some day soon hopefully - maybe next spring? oh and when its finished of course - but I've gone and got myself a couple more 'projects' on the go since as well - you know how it is!  ;D ) and give her a sail in the boating lake at Goodrington (I think Torbay MBC sail there?) Well thats the plan anyway!

Cheers, Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2006, 08:38:00 am »

it was a young captain due to the sail-period about 1800... was it starting with "B"?

Probably Richard Bolitho by Alexander Kent Jörg (not the Wealds of though!). There are many books in the series which continue even after the main hero is killed off on his own quarterdeck! The author's real name is Douglas Reeman who also has a long string of WW11 naval novels still in print. I've read them all, usually twice!

Oh God! I've just noticed I'm promoted to Commodore!!

ambernblu

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2006, 08:43:20 am »

.... Yep, Colin's got it sorted as far as Cap'n Richard Bolitho (of Falmouth) is concerned! I've got the lot - my kids buy me the 'next one' for birthdays and Xmas - if not a Kent, then a Sharpe! Plus as you say, there is also Reeman's WWII naval stuff - excellent.

The book I was reminded of though (can never seem to find many WWI naval books!) was one I read again just the other week - WH Cannaway's - The Grey Seas of Jutland - I like it!! Its about two cousins - one English, one German who end up in warships on opposing sides at the great battlle - unlikely I know, but its not bad at all...  ;)

Cheers, Brian

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2006, 09:28:02 am »

Brian- unlikely? Probably- but I remember due to my national Military Service (we still had a "Cold War" these days) that my cousin was serving on the other side of the fence in the GDR..... as a part of my family was living there.
Wasn`t a pleasing situation anyway...  :P

About the book-series I have meant... (godness me-I can`t remember the name!) it wasn`t the one mentioned..
I remember one title "xxx`s revenge" .... I have had nearly the whole lot (Paperback), but lost them due to my divorce.
His father was claimed to be sheepish and he served as a lieutenant on a small vessel, met up with an Italian Lady and saved her from getting into prison.... It was due to Nelson era, as Horatio Lord Nelson was mentioned.....

HELP ME TO FILL THE GAP IN MY MIND!

(Really diserved the membership of the GOG-section)....  ::)

Jörg

ambernblu

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2006, 10:08:32 am »

... Jorg. That must really have been a difficult situation!

I can only think of Pope's Ramage books, but don't think there was a 'Ramage's Revenge' - also O'Brian's books - Captain Jack Aubrey. I'm wondering if that is the guy, as he had a rotten father as I recall??

Any help? Cheers, Brian

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2006, 10:36:23 am »

RAMAGE! That`s it!!!!!!!  ;D

Oh I loved them......!

Sitting in the bathtube with a glass of wine and reading, reading, reading..........

Spot on Brian!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.