Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cut and Stick -if you are old enough!  (Read 15305 times)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Cut and Stick -if you are old enough!
« on: August 31, 2006, 05:42:31 pm »

A recent feature on our local TV news suddenly made me think. With all the restrictions on young people buying glue, solvents and knives of any description, how does anyone get started in any modelling hobby these day?

Rick

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cut and Stick -if you are old enough!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 06:36:53 pm »

They don't - and companies such as Humbrol go out of business as a result.

ron h

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 06:38:16 pm »

Take your parents, ;D ;D

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 06:42:55 pm »

Or at least wait till you are out of nappies..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

ambernblu

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 08:30:51 pm »

.... most of us would probably cringe at the idea of using the common or garden, no hassle PVA on our boat models - after all, its mostly soluble in water right? Well, the model railway world loves it - you can stick virtually anything to anything with it...  ;)

And as for paints - big poly cartons of poster paints - with which you can happily 'do a Rolf' on your virtual backscenes - no hassle!  :D

Its the model boat builders who have the problem with Cyanoacrylates, 2-part Epoxys, epoxy fillers, flammable/toxic paints, toxic solder fumes, airborne sanding particles and the rest of it - not that long ago we were discussing working with adequate ventiltion or spraying outdoors - its no joke really 'cos when we get started, some of these big hulls can be....pretty BIG...!!

So lets be careful out there!  ;)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 08:50:23 am »

Ambernblue- I second that, but to be honest:
When I look back to my childhood and the circumstances we grew up, cars had no catalysator, every second household was heating with coal or wood, the industry had blown out their exhausts unfiltered and paints had been full of toxic thinners....
There was no limitation in harming ingredients or nature-protection law..... a knife was a knife, and when you cutted your fingers you take a plaster and that`s it! And we raised up too!!!
It is a progress, that the industry has to inform about risks by using their products (i.e. toxic ingredients), but sometimes I can`t held the feeling that we all take it a bit too serious and sensitive.
I use to tell my son, that the herdplates are hot. But he won`t recon until he burnt his fingers! And I was surely not the one which blamed it on the manufacturer by delivering a "harmfull product"!!!
If I read about women, taking their babies in the washing-machine or the cat for drying in the micro-wave and claiming about the dangerous technology I think it is everybodies own responsibility to what he is doing and use his brain about the harms which it could lead to.
Or am I wrong? A grumpy old grit, hanging to the so-called good ol` times?

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 10:13:21 am »

Jorg
I used to feel the same as you. Not only put up with all the toxic fumes to carry out various hobbies but also dust and dirt in the building industry. We were men in those days, didnt need protective masks etc.
Then I got emphysema and it all made sense.
                               Richard
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 12:35:56 pm »

When I was at boarding school in the fifties we used to build chuck gliders, Keil-Kraft and Veron kits in the gas lit (electricity was only in the main college) hobby room. And later we discovered the 'new' plastic Airfix ones too. The effects of the gas, balsa cement  and dope fumes on us was literally staggering - but we didn't bother. A few minutes in the fresh air on the way back to the main building produced an instant cure! Any current health problems I blame on the daily beltings for not remembering my Shakespeare. Nowadays I use a mask - a sign of progress I suppose.

Andrew

ambernblu

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 04:31:15 pm »

Sorry bit late in replying - been down to Deans Marine Open day. I agree with you Jorg and also Tricky and ajg141 - besides the fact the law demands the manufacturer tells us what (if anything) is harmful about the product (COSHH) it is down to us as to take heed of the warnings or not.  ;)

However, I didn't add the conclusion in my original post I think I maybe meant to - which was that there are official bodies out there who are planning on physically stopping us doing some of these activities, simply because they are banning the substance from sale - or demanding changes in its manufacture... Thats what get up my nose - and I'm NOT keen on that at all....!!  :o

Cheers, Brian

p.s. You should she the massive box I brought back from Peterborough!  ;D

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 04:46:18 pm »

p.s. You should she the massive box I brought back from Peterborough!  ;D

Just a box Brian ?

Anything in it  ;D

Steve

ambernblu

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 04:54:00 pm »

.... actually Steve, its a huge HMS Manxman - all 40knots of her (and the rest?) I can see that bow wave now.....  ;)

So all I have to do is make a start building her....  :o and the rest..  ;D

Cheers, Brian

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 05:55:52 pm »

Two points on this theme, 1: A very good friend of mine who naturally was a model builder and quite a good one, was also a furniture restorer and you can imagine all the associated toxic products used, poor old Geoffrey never used anything as protection against the various fumes and dust,the same went for his modeling he died at the age of 49, the cause to long and to much toxic ingestion.  2: Over here there is virtually no restrictions on what you use, or how you use it, but since the loss of Geoff I have taken to using any protection available, about the only thing they have really changed is the spraying of motor cars, now banned unless you use a proper spray booth, to show you how far behind in this field we are the morons that made this rule did it to stop back yard painters, but so that "idoit" like me who still occasionally paints a motor car, they then said we can still paint at home with no protection one panel per day, now I ask you how stupid are they gits, we are even still allowed to use lead sinkers for fishing as well...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 08:08:30 pm »

Roy, I am with you that a good protection due to spraying, moulding and all that jobs und well air-conditioned circumstances is o.K.- but who protects us from the .... "exhausts" of these backblowers?  ;)

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 12:29:24 am »

If the Health and Safety fascists had been around two hundred years ago, there would never have been an industrial revolution.

ambernblu

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 06:23:06 am »

If the Health and Safety fascists had been around two hundred years ago, there would never have been an industrial revolution.

... Exactly right!

I'm just so surprised we are still allowed to have gas and mains electricity in our homes - and petrol in our cars! Oh and smoking, drinking and eating is still legal to???  ;D

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 08:24:53 am »

So is the dreaded S.x and look what problems that causes  ::) ::)
                                             Cheers
                                                 Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

ambernblu

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 09:33:26 am »

Bob, Have I missed something? What's this 'dreaded S.x' then?  :D

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 10:10:05 am »

Abernblue you shore have , by the way if you live in the NE and went to Dean's yesterday you should have broken your journey and come for a cup of tea ,
                                                                                                    Cheers
                                                                                                       Bob B

ambernblu

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 10:44:48 am »

Do you know Bob, funny you should say that, but I was originally planning on calling back at relatives in Mansfield and staying overnight, but at the very last minute, plans changed due to illness etc which meant straight down, straight back, so was seriously considering not going.... Then I had at one point on Thursday thought of emailing you and seeing if you fancied going, but decided it would be too short notice!!

A similar thing happened on the Papplewick weekend too and I decided then at the last minute not to go. Anyway, sorry, Bob, but that would have been brilliant - good of you to give that a thought...

My relatives are now planning on coming up here next Saturday, but I am still planning on getting to Mansfield before end of October - don't know if there is anything Model Boat wise on nearby - or maybe just arrange to go for a sail...?? Let me know.

Cheers, Brian 

ambernblu

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006, 11:31:02 am »

Actually Bob, just had a chilling thought.... !!  :o This isn't some fiendish plot to get me over to your place so your dear wife can carry out her threat is it?  ;D

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2006, 12:09:30 pm »

So is the dreaded S.x and look what problems that causes  ::) ::)
                                             Cheers
                                                 Bob B

Don't worry Tony Blair has indicated he will stop people pro-creating if they are likely to produce 'problem' children. We can all sleep safely at night.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 02:37:43 pm »

It's really sort of oxymoron'ish to link politicians and thinking.  And I'm really reluctant to link politicians and s.x considering some of our politicians.  But do you think this Blair doesn't know that all children are 'problems'?
 - 'Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 04:32:45 pm »

Hey Ambernblu i had forgoten that threat still we won't tell her who you realy are , managed to get the hob working again so am in her good books at the moment

ambernblu

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 04:35:56 pm »

... so pleased (on both counts!  :D) Bob! Cheers, Brian

Joe Hardy

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 08:33:44 pm »

Getting back to the point.How many junior members do you have in your club? The kids simply arn't interested to-day.I was sailing the other day and two or three of the "intellegencia" arrived on their bikes to enquire "Where do you hire the boats mister" When it was suggested that they might actually have to spend some time and effort learning to build a model for themselves you couldn't see them for dust.
I heard to-day that even Airfix has gone bust .What chance have we got when we pop our clogs
    Joe
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.