Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Irrational fascination, distractions & obsessions...  (Read 8810 times)

das boot

Re: Irrational fascination, distractions & obsessions...
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 04:17:36 pm »

That'll be the same bloke who said "well, you wouldn't want a warm beer, would ya?"

Rich

bigH

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 04:31:34 pm »

Who decided sharks liver would be good for your piles ????????????
big H

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 06:30:38 pm »

Now which country is it where they eat rotten fish? Apparently, they get a perfectly good fresh fish, bury it for a time until it's totally rank and disgusting then dig it up and eat it. I would like to know who sniffed it, thought it was appealing and had the first mouthful! The very thought...excuse me but I'm about to chunder..... wooolkk!!
If you go back far enough on my "sea-going" thread there is a reference ("Norseman") about our Portuguese / Brazilian crew going on strike because they were given fresh cod meat when all they wanted to eat were old boiled cod heads. Perhaps Marco Polo brought them back from China? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 06:38:43 pm »

Water consists of two elements Hydrogen and Oxygen.
Hydrogen is a very explosive gas and burns very easily
Oxygen is vital for combustion

Why does water not burn????

No matter how much hotter water gets there is never any flames, only hotter water.

Brian
See if you can get to see the report on a hydrogen fire in an aircraft carriers funnel. Quite horrifying. (Old "Bulwark" I think). Agreat chunk of the mess was held at "Phoenix" for years...maybe it still is.... BY.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 09:13:50 pm »

A little off topic, but we were walking the dogs on the beach a few weeks back, must have been nice that day, and we started chatting with a women with 2 Border Collies. She was smitten with our new puppy and our older Hunteway(New Zealand Sheepdog).

She asked why our older dog was so docile ( we'd already ran her for a good hour or so) and I replied that we had our vet prescribe the new tablets for OCD prone canines, Well, she says I'll have to speak with my vet this Monday about that!..My partner realized the wind up and went along with it for awhile.... needless to say we all had a great laugh. {-)
But just think, wouldn't that be a great project for the NHS, a tablet to cure OCD, mind you, it wouldn't stop those chaps sitting in traffic perplexed about a flashing yellow light.... psst, Martin, you need some new cds to listen to mate {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 02:48:46 pm »

Here a good one that came up yesterday..... why are the brakes on a car called BRAKES?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 03:09:18 pm »

Presumably because they 'break' the forward motion and maybe thats where it is derived from?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 03:28:17 pm »

brake

c.1440, from O.Du. braeke "flax brake," from breken "to break." The word was applied to many crushing implements, and the ring through the nose of a draught ox. It was infl. in sense by O.Fr. brac, a form of bras "an arm," thus "a lever or handle," which was being used in Eng. from 1380, and applied to "a bridle or curb" from 1430. One or the other or both took up the main modern meaning of "stopping device for a wheel," first attested 1772.

So there you go.

Or hopefully stop, if already going.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 06:17:36 pm »

Here's one, where did the expression "by and large" come from? You often hear it said in the middle of sentences and we all seem to use it ...'by and large'!

craftysod

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 06:59:54 pm »

Here a good one that came up yesterday..... why are the brakes on a car called BRAKES?

Cos if they dont stop you, you could hit something and break your bones  %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

By and Large is a nautical term. Fuller explanation here: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/by-and-large.html

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 07:58:37 pm »

I sometimes wonder about how processes were found, like the creation of beer.  You need part germinated grain, hops, yeast and water at the right temperature where the nasties cant get at it for just long enough.  Thats a heck of a coincidence.  Who was the unsung genius who figured it out?
Funny how the miind wanders when you are apparently totally mentally involved with some intricate little detail. With the wifes involvement in the "allotment" thing I was doing something with what remains of my brain and suddenly found myself thinking "Who discovered turnips" etc. etc. And who (post-mortem) said "Do not eat these 'mushrooms'. Life is full of these idiocies.....and long may they live...or not. BY.

andyn

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 08:07:41 pm »

I've always wondered why people wonder why things work instead of accepting they work and having a beer instead...

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 10:30:25 pm »

Got it Colin, much thanks... thats been bothering me for a while!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2008, 11:07:17 pm »

Never mind the big thing with four legs and horns ,who thought that the stuff from the big thing with four legs and dangly things under it(keep it clean %) ) would be nice to drink ,thats milk if you hadn't guessed  O0
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.