Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.4 ghz wont bind  (Read 5516 times)

craftysod

2.4 ghz wont bind
« on: October 15, 2008, 07:44:59 pm »

asking the experts here
I got a spektrum dx6i tried to bind as per instruction manual,but put the bind key in power/bind slot on receiver,and power lead to spare reciever slot.
turned on receiver then controller whilst holding down trainer switch as per instructions,the controller says binding and stays at that,keeps beeping,
the light on reciver is constant,but after disconnecting bind key all as per manual,nothing happens.
thanks
mark

tony23

Re: 2.4 ghz wont bind
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 08:03:27 pm »

Hi Mark, are you battery's fully charged  :-)

craftysod

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:16:46 pm »

Yes mate brand new in controller and gave reciever overnight charge,it does say in manual, look for 2 lights on .but only 1 light shows on main reciver 

wideawake

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:43:12 pm »

asking the experts here
I got a spektrum dx6i tried to bind as per instruction manual,but put the bind key in power/bind slot on receiver,and power lead to spare reciever slot.
turned on receiver then controller whilst holding down trainer switch as per instructions,the controller says binding and stays at that,keeps beeping,
the light on reciver is constant,but after disconnecting bind key all as per manual,nothing happens.
thanks
mark

Hi Mark

I'm a tad confused or misreading either your post or the DX6i manual!   The manual I have refers to inserting the binding plug in the charge socket rather than the rx battery connection (as on the DX6) .   It also mentions removing the plug before turning off the rx  , as I'm sure you know.   When you say - nothing happens - do you mean you mean that the TX doesn't link with the RX once you've turned both off  and on again or that it links but you don't have control?  If so it may be worth trying with the binding plug fitted in the charging socket.

HTH

Guy

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:49:57 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm reading you right Mark.

If you have the power and the bind connector in the correct way the orange lights should be flashing when you put power on.  You know it is ready to bind then.

When you hold the trainer switch over and turn on the TX it should say "Bind" in the window.  When the RX has bound to the TX the orange light stops flashing and stays on solid.

Are you getting the flashing orange light first?  When I did mine yesterday I put power in the throttle channel and put the bind plug in the power socket and it worked fine.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

craftysod

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 05:59:59 pm »

To try and clarify myself a bit better,I have to put the power to the rx because my on/off control hasnt got the right connection.
Put in the bind key,power into throttle,turn on power,the orange light was flashing,turn on receiver holding training key,the cont flashes bind and beeps,the rx light goes solid,but the cont stays bind and beeps is this supposed to stop.
Pull out bind key turn off power to both.
connect power lead to right connection on rx and plug in servo,turn on both orange light still solid but when moving sticks the servo doesnt do anything,
hope that explains it a bit more clearly,
thanks for the replies
mark

wideawake

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:10:47 pm »

Put in the bind key,power into throttle,turn on power,the orange light was flashing,turn on receiver holding training key,

Hi Mark

I assume the above is a typo.   Otherwise it may be the problem.  From the manual it looks as if you should hold the training switch on while turning the Transmitter on.

I'm sorry I can't try the process out.   I have a DX6 (the binding procedure is different for that) not a 6i but I do have the .pdf of the manual as Paul F and I were referring to it when jointly doing the short piece in this month's MB.

Cheers

Guy

craftysod

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:23:53 pm »

sorry guy
put the bind key in pwer/bind on rx
put power lead into throttle connection on rx
i am holding training key when powering up the transmitter
the transmitter says binding and beeps but the manual doesnt say if the transmitter is supposed to stop beeping and confirm is has binded the orange light went solid though
mark

wideawake

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 06:42:32 pm »

Hi Mark

Yes I thought it was probably a slip but in a way hoped it wasn't as it might have explained your problem.   I'm at a loss I'm afraid as I don't have one to try myself. 

My only other thought is to try putting battery feed into ch 5 or 6 as when binding it should be trying to remember the throttle fail-safe setting.    Maybe it needs a servo on that channel.  For the DX6 it says use an unused channel.  As you know the DX6i doesn't mention this as it assumes you'll use the charge socket on the receiver harness.  Just a thought.   

Good luck

Guy

craftysod

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:08 pm »

Thanks Guy
Will try your suggestion,maybe buy a switch that i can plug bind key into,when i have sorted the problem out will keep you informed,
so as to expand your very helpful knowledge
Or shoot the guy i bought it off (only paid the same money a dx5 goes for)
Mark

p.s. The manual should be clearer as to explain whether the transmitter should stop beeping/ binding for us new people

wideawake

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:15 pm »

Hi Mark

Yes - I'd be interested to hear how you get on.  Yet another random thought.  Is there anyone close to you with a DX6i that you could meet to try binding your TX to their RX and/or vice versa?

I agree with you about the manual, it isn't very clear as to what to expect at the transmitter in terms of indications.

There's got to be an explanation!  Last resort I'd suggest would be to contact Ryan Coxall, the service bloke at Horizon UK and se if he has any ideas.

Cheers

Guy

craftysod

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 08:32:30 pm »

Problem solved
because i'm thick or new, the reciever does not have  a lug or way to stop the power being plugged in the wrong way so i risked  and plugged power cable opposite way and hey presto got connection to both receivers.
If like me you are not sure and plugged the power cable wrong way it wont blow up hopefully,
as said in previous posts i get a light but you need 2 lights one on each reciever
thanks guy
hopefully this will help people
mark

i

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 10:56:47 pm »

Hi Mark,

I have just bought the DX6i today, before i bind my receiver which orientation does the battery power plug in, negative at the top or bottom?

Cheers

Russ

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 08:06:57 am »

Glad you got sorted out Mark and all credit to Guy for his help.  What I missed adding yesterday was that when you set up the reciever and the lights are flashing then when you hold over the trainer switch and turn on the TX the fact that the bind process has finished is only indicated when the orange lights stop flashing and stay on.  The TX display does not change until you let go of the trainer switch so it continues to show "Bind" for as long as you hold the switch.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

craftysod

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:48 pm »

To 6705 russel

On the reciever where it says batt/bind leave the first pin blank(no wire on plug)then red wire middle pin black wire right pin (end of rx)

hope you understand that

mark

bigford

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 04:26:46 am »

2 questions

1) what servos do i use with the dx6i none of my old futaba 3003 fit  need big rudder servo
2) when i get the servos do i plug every thing into the rx then bind??

i hate learning new stuff {:-{

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 05:16:06 am »

What model servos came with the set? Are they Spektrum DS821 Servos?
These are very good servos, what type of boat and rudder are you turning?
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=23432

Almost all servos are compatible these days, it's just a matter of plugs and lean orientation.
See:  http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html

As I understand it, it doesn't matter weather the servos are plugged in or not, the 'binding' relates to the Tx & Rx only.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 07:13:31 am »

2 questions

1) what servos do i use with the dx6i none of my old futaba 3003 fit  need big rudder servo
2) when i get the servos do i plug every thing into the rx then bind??

i hate learning new stuff {:-{

The instructions show the binding set up without any other servos fitted so I would keep it simple and do the same.  They shouldn't have any effect but adding any complication or possibility of confusion is probably not a good idea.

As for servos it depends on what you buy.  The set I puchased did not come with any servos and because I was replacing the set up in existing models that was perfect for me.  I simply bought a few additional recievers to add to other models.  As far as I am aware any servo will work as long as you get the orientation correct and you may have to remove the little tab you get on some.

craftysod

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 11:20:16 am »

Yes mine is standard futaba servo just had to trim the tab off to fit

mark

wideawake

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 08:14:35 pm »

I've used hitec and futaba servos with my DX6 with no problem as well as the supplied Spektrum mini-servos.   In terms of orientation my AR6000 rx is clearly marked with which pin row is +ve, -ve and control (little square wave pic). I can't see any reason why the DX6i should be any different as the RX output is in standard servo drive format. 

As far as binding is concerned I think the most important thing to note is Bunkerbarge's comment that the DX6i TX will go on showing "Bind" until you let the trainer key go so only the confirmation of a steady LED at the Rx end tells you it's completed OK.

WRT binding without servos plugged in, I don't see a technical problem, but if you want to set the Smart Failsafe you'd need the servos to see the positions of the control surfaces or other operated systems.

Cheers

Guy

bigford

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 08:22:25 pm »

sorry for a bad reply {-) the dx6i i bought did not come with the servos
just the radio and rx.. i should have known for the price i paid :-))
looking for rudder servos for the happy hunter and a rotterdam
i was thinking one servo for each rudder and a y connector

wideawake

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 08:45:16 pm »

Sorry I may not have been clear either.  I realised that you didn't have servos and was just confirming that any standard servo will work.

WRT y-cording the rudder servos.  personally i'd not do that as you'll have no means of tweaking any slight differences between the two servos/linkages.   I'd use one of the three free (as in user definable) mixes available on the DX6i and mix another channel with the rudder channel using (to start with) identical settings for the slave channel.   That way if you need a slightly different end point or centre point it'll be easy to adjust the two servo/linkage/rudder combinatiomns separately.

Cheers

Guy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.