Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R.N.L.I. Waveney Class Life Boat  (Read 4329 times)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
R.N.L.I. Waveney Class Life Boat
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:19:21 pm »

Hi all,

Does anyone have one of these boats, and are they as good as they seem to look as I have just purchsased one it is a Billings Kit,
any information would be a great help..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
Re: R.N.L.I. Wavenely Class Life Boat
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 07:30:51 pm »

I don't think it can be converted for radio control and does not take anytime to assemble.I assume you are referring to the B101 kit.If you are not then i apologise.

chromedome

PIT

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:04:58 pm »

I've got a Billings Waveney converted to radio, works well, looks good, can cope with massive amounts of weather, and so far has not sunk !!  all the best PIT

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:12:05 pm »

I have converted one of these to RC. It works well, twin motors, one esc, runs on 7.2 v aa battery pack.
The only change i made was to swap the props for decent brass ones from prop shop

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

crazy yank

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:40:02 pm »

I might be wrong, but I think it's Waveney class. I've the American equivalent. In fact, we built the first ones here, stateside and sent plans overseas to be built in the U.K.

If you have any questions at all, go to Google and type in 44MLB, for 44 foot motorized lifeboats.  My friend, Clive Lawford, is the author of this site.  You can find the complete history on the boat here.

Crazy Yank

Aston

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 10:48:44 pm »

Billings do this boat in two sizes 1:40 and 1:20, the larger boat is only marketed as US Coastguard but is a simple modification.  I have both models and both sail very well.  The smaller one runs using two old Futaba servos as motor and speed control with a 4 channel Hitec Feather Rx so I have independent motor control as well as rudder.  Runs on 5 AA cells and handles the rough stuff amazingly well, just like the full size does  :)

Aston

Lynn

• Shipmate
Re: R.N.L.I. Waveney Class Life Boat
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 07:49:32 pm »

I built the American equivalent about twenty some years ago and have done extensive refurbishing in the last two years.  Our fearless leader, Martin, will attest to this.  Am currently using a Futaba four channel system.  My boat is the old Dumas plank and frame kit. I rebuilt much of the detail work from scratch, as I was dissatisfied with the lack of realism in some things. I've also added things that weren't in the kit to start with, such as swiveling coxswain's chair, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, operable, but not used, winch.  It also has an operating horn, remotely operated running lights, bumpers (actually floatable) for hull protection when docking (fenders), actual floating life rings, and crew's accessories are scratch built.  Some think I've gone overboard, but all is in the eyes of the beholder.  Mine is 1/16 scale taping in at 33 inches and weighing nearly 10 pounds or about 5 kilos.  Have fun with your build.

Crazy Yank
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.