Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fleetscale website hacked and attacked  (Read 3983 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Fleetscale website hacked and attacked
« on: October 17, 2008, 08:19:35 pm »

As the title states, anyone been on the Fleetscale site recently check for viruses.
This isnt a Hoax, my Anti-Virus caught it and quarantined it.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

craftysod

Re: Fleetscale website hacked and attacked
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 08:37:57 pm »

Thanks for the warning Bob

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:38:40 pm »

What was the type/ name of virus.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:01:42 pm »

No idea, the site posted a warning, I checked my Anti-Virus and there was one so just let it deal with it then scanned with a few more but it had gone.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

The long Build

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 09:14:41 pm »

As per Fleetscale's website

Info.

"The main fleetscale website has been attacked by hackers today who have inserted a piece of code somewhere that will install malware on your computer.  Basically it will pop up a message saying your computer is infected. You will then be invited to download some software - at a price - that will remove trojans and malware from your computer.

Do not fall for this, do not pay any money. it is doubtful that you will receive anything for your money. probably the only virus/malware you have got has been put there by this nasty piece of software.

It is easily removed by malwarebytes which you can download free of charge. I have removed it once today and once yesterday. The world wide web is full of criminals preying on the unwary and there may be many, many websites that have been infected in this way. As soon as I discovered the situation I disabled the fleetscale.co.uk website until it can be corrected."

craftysod

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:56 pm »

Another way of protecting your comp is downloading windows live one care free trial for 90 days, scans more than usual free trials,and cheaper if you buy the full version than other makes that claim to do the same

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:40:29 pm »

Mayhem was attacked today, luckily I was on-line (what are the chances...) and spotted something odd and banned the new user.  >>:-(

Time to make a backus me thinks! YOU guys to the same!
 (  See: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/computers.htm  )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 10:32:20 pm »

I was disturbed from the workshop this evening by my good lady wife (well she thought she had done something wrong) "the computer has gone wrong" she said .
I came in to find a microsoft windows defender 9 ,warning me that my pc had been atacked by a deadly set of trojans and other nasty things ,and if i didn't buy and download an anti virus my pc was scrap .
On further examination i noticed that there was what appered to be two windows open ,but looking at the task bar only one showing , firts thing to come to mind was SCAM! . So i shut the internet down, got rid of the window , did a clean up of temp files etc and run my own anti virus AVG .
One hour and twenty five mins later the results show ,no trojans or any other nastys for that matter .
Oh and mrs P had been looking on a holiday web site , something like haven or hoseason's she cant remember.
My rule of thumb if it aint on the task bar it aint real .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:35:55 pm »

Admit it , you put the false Virus on so you would not  have to go away  %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 10:36:55 pm »

Right action. If you'd clicked on the yes button it would have downloaded a trojan or something worse.

craftysod

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 11:19:34 am »

Your right Colin, and so many people click on the yes button when it says you have won a prize because your our eleventy trillion customer,god knows what you can download from them scams

The long Build

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 01:20:10 pm »

Just spoken to a friend from school , not seen for years, got talking about computers and yes she has just down all of what you should not do.. She got the message saying infected etc , and opened it , said that by agreeing to the terms etc it would clear it for her.. this she did . Now says to do this they want 200 pounds for the software, and the computer files are all locked, I would have thought that demanding money is illegal ! but because the box do you agree all the t& c's was ticked she has not a leg to stand on apparently.

The computer is now being completely wiped and rebuilt, apparently it was the only other way.. 3 years of photos & files lost (never backed up)

andygh

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:37 pm »

There's no need to wipe all her photo's etc. They can easily be retrieved by someone competent  :o  :o  :o  :o

The long Build

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 01:57:13 pm »

This I believe is being done by an established Computer shop, Only stated what she said to me although I did think it was a bit drastic, hopefully they will try to recover some stuff..

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 05:44:46 pm »

About once a month someone at work brings their home computer in asking if i can clean off the virus (or 50!) on their PC.

... most worryingly it's mostly from the I.T. dept! {:-{

What takes the most time is saving all the photos, documents, MP3, itunes, emails, etc. that they've Never backed up!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 05:56:40 pm »

It never ceases to amaze me that people don't back up. I have an external hard disk that Vista backs up to daily by default and another two which I use in tandem to hold daily backups using Acronis. I keep one in the garage in case the house burns down. On top of that I have just got a fourth external disk on which I periodically download all my Documents and Photos. That's in the garage too.

Whenever I take a lot of photos on holiday, visits etc. I upload them to the PC as soon as I get home and then immediately download them onto CD as further insurance.

External hard disks are so cheap these days compared with the value of your data that it's silly not to take advantage of them.

As you may have gathered, I have a cautious nature....

Colin

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 06:43:46 pm »

Ah, but do you have a backup garage?

Roger in France.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 06:48:09 pm »

Working on it.  :-))

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 07:01:02 pm »

What no fireproof safe? What is the world coming to  :o
Don't Assume Check

TugCowboy

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 09:23:40 am »

Run Linux!

No viruses, no spyware, no bloatware, no trojans, the safest operating system out there, and its FREEEEEE, along with 99% of every program that you could ever want for it, why oh why do people use Windows and Mac?!

Alex

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 09:31:49 am »

.....'cause it's easier!    ok2

TugCowboy

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 09:33:41 am »

.....'cause it's easier!    ok2
No chance ;)

(Although I feel this is like the brushless/brushed motor debate! lol  {-) )

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.